Hacking in dark - well dusk really!

If yes to Q1, why?

• Total voters

welshcobabe

Visit site
Well I hack out in the dark but do so in the morning as in 5.30 a.m. time. Less cars about and after scaring our local milk man who thought I was a space man because all he could see at first was my minors lamp and lots of glowing objects. As Stan is 16 hands and a black fresion we must have looked 9 foot tall. I wear flouresent hat band, minors lamp, flouresent flashing waistcoat, Stan has yellow vizband martingale,boots and flashing tail light. I also have red and white flashing stirrup lights. He is only 6 but copes very well horses eyesight in the dark is better than ours. I dont have any facilities indoor schools etc so have no choice but to be honest I quite enjoy it and I am now on first name terms with the milkman who gives us the occsional free yougurt and a mint for Stan
laugh.gif

fizzer

Visit site
would never ever ride in the dark or dusk, the roads are dangerous enough in the daylight never mind night time. would not risk my horses safety.

Tia

Visit site
Yes I love riding in the dark.

I would NEVER ride on a road in the dark no matter what. The one and only time I hit the roof was when someone was riding one of my horses in the UK and returned via the road at 10.30pm!! He was banned from riding any of my horses again. I was absolutely furious and that is quite unlike me.

Tia

Visit site
Dusk is probably one of the most dangerous times to ride on a road!

Pitch dark is far better providing you have good lights on your boots, horse's tail and bridle and wearing reflective clothing.

It isn't a case of being scared - it's a case of you are risking yours and your horse's life. Sorry to be blunt.

bellaboo

Visit site
Never ever ride in the dusk/dark, had a road accident with my horse in the middle of the day, although it was raining, had fluro's on, and very sadly he died as a result of it.
Am now very picky about what conditions i ride in.

Fiona

Visit site
You mention that the road is lit with street lights, so that is surelt safer. Also..is it a straight stretch. If it is straight, and 400m long, and you have all above mentioned reflective kit on...then IMO that would be OK.
When I first had my horse, we didn't have a school, and he was stabled all winter so had to ride. I rode in the woods but had to come back in the dusk in the winter. I had reflective stuff on and a flashing stirrup light, in my opinion I was as well lit as a cyclist would be, and I didn't have any near misses at all.
The horseware tabards with the flashing LCD lights on are really good, and can be seen a long way away.
Fiona