Hacking in Surrey - Need Ideas!

MJ_1993

Visit site
Hi All.

I have recently purchased a horse box, so we are starting to hack out over commons and what not now, We went over to Wisley/Ockham Common which was amazing but there is an awful lot of dog walkers over there with unruly dogs.
My horse is generally ok with dogs but he gets startled easily and doesn't like them running up to him, which happened on two occasions over Wisley. (There were also a few very polite dog walkers may i add!!)

Are there any nice hacks without so many dogs?

Thanks!

I.M.N.

Visit site
As above plus Hankley common, next to Thursley (Elstead) common. Unfortunately there are just a lot of dog walkers so it will be very hard to avoid them.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If you want hacking totally free of dog walking/cycles/runners etc and have spare money, then worth going to Woolgars in Horsley. However, its £25 to ride there, tho there are well spread out xc jumps over the 5.5 mile course (and a longer loop to add in too to add another 3 miles or so). You have to ride the course in 1 direction only, but its never that busy, plenty of hills to let off steam on too and not 1 jump is compulsory.
When weather good we try to pop over about once every 3 weeks or so (or as purse allows me to!).

Dont bother with Horsell or Chobham commons after 9 as both are heaving with dog traffic unless you get out really early and back to box by 9 latest.
Langshot EC in Chobham let you park in their car park if there is no comps on, just ask you to purchase a cuppa in the club house after. Direct onto hacking there with no roadwork.
As above, Frensham is excellent, but again best earlier in the day before familes are out. I also like Blackheath too.

Happy exploring OP :)

Antw23uk

Visit site
Just invested £8 in an Ordinance Map of the area we are moving to, comes with a phone app as well. I can see, plan and track every bridleway in the area and I'm surprised how much there is so very much looking forward to the move :)

Ella19

Visit site
Blackheath is sadly now teaming with dog walkers, I've started to avoid it. Winterfold and holbury are quiet. You can park in walking bottom car park peaslake or the one on the hill up from Ewhurst and get to both.

dornrose

Visit site
Which bit of Wisley where you on? If you go overt the A3 bridge it's usually much quieter. I would also look at Newlands corner, which is close ish to Wisley. Also look on the Surrey interactive map - go through the council pages the bridleways are marked on there.

MJ_1993

Visit site
Thanks everyone!

I'm not really brave enough to go over the bridge with a dippy young irish horse i must admit!

Do you have any tips for getting around Wisley? I know there are signs on posts ect but some are hard to see when near trees! I don't want to get told off for going on the wrong part! x

Luci07

Visit site
Wisley is one place you do not want to wander off piste on. Having met some loving couples (in daylight) as well as finding the evidence in branches... stay on the paths. Everything is getting very crowded in Surrey now so I would be inclined to go as early as you can. I used to be on Ranmore which offered stunning hacking but the paths have deteriorated with heavy use so its mostly walk and trot now.

Newlands

Visit site
Ha ha Luci07, I wasn't sure how to put that! But yes, do watch out for lonesome men nipping out of bushes and heading into others! Can you still park up at Newlands? That was one of my favourites as you could head up to Martha's or cross the road at the car park entrance.