Hacking in Winterbourne / frampton cottrell??

exracehorse1995

Visit site
Hi everyone, following on from my post looking for yards south glos. I have been to see a lovely yard which ticks all the right boxes, but I don't know the area very well and just wanted to know what the hacking is like around frampton cottrell off the Bristol road? The yard manager says there are places accross the main road but just wonderded if any of you had experience of this area?

Thank you! :)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Hi everyone, following on from my post looking for yards south glos. I have been to see a lovely yard which ticks all the right boxes, but I don't know the area very well and just wanted to know what the hacking is like around frampton cottrell off the Bristol road? The yard manager says there are places accross the main road but just wonderded if any of you had experience of this area?

Thank you! :)

Hello, I am pretty near you, I kept my late mare on a yard very near leyland court which is not that far from there, there was not much hacking in truth, but perhaps there is a bit more over that way. I am a bit further away now but its the loveliest yard and if you enjoy hacking it may be worth looking around more as there are lots of yards my way with fantastic hacking. Drop me a message if you would like some details :)

cptrayes

Visit site
I stabled in Winterbourne in 1983 and the hacking was dire. Country roads with bad traffic on them, nowhere to canter.

I moved to Hinton to be able to get into Dyrham Park. That was fab.

exracehorse1995

Visit site
Hello, I am pretty near you, I kept my late mare on a yard very near leyland court which is not that far from there, there was not much hacking in truth, but perhaps there is a bit more over that way. I am a bit further away now but its the loveliest yard and if you enjoy hacking it may be worth looking around more as there are lots of yards my way with fantastic hacking. Drop me a message if you would like some details :)

Hi! I can't seem to send you a message can you send me one so I can reply! I'm going to see one tomorrow that might be near you :)

Kick On

Visit site
sorry very simple - roads are a nightmare to hack on!!! very close to very busy business areas of North Bristol (Rolls Royce, MoD, Royal Mail etc...) and used as cut through. Try and get yard with school and hacking on site if you need to be in area. The further you go out to Iron Acton, Yate, Chipping Sodbury etc its fine so long as not main A roads or 'rat runs' to north Bristol

exracehorse1995

Visit site
sorry very simple - roads are a nightmare to hack on!!! very close to very busy business areas of North Bristol (Rolls Royce, MoD, Royal Mail etc...) and used as cut through. Try and get yard with school and hacking on site if you need to be in area. The further you go out to Iron Acton, Yate, Chipping Sodbury etc its fine so long as not main A roads or 'rat runs' to north Bristol

Thank you, worth asking anyway! It's such a nice yard though, looking at one tomorrow as well so will decide once I have seen that one :)

Kick On

Visit site
best ask owners what they do, as if down a private lane it should be fine, but if on rat run totally out of question unless you have the most bomb proof horse in the world................... Try looking in Almondsbury, Tockington, Alveston, Olveston as still very close to north Bristol but more to river side

exracehorse1995

Visit site
best ask owners what they do, as if down a private lane it should be fine, but if on rat run totally out of question unless you have the most bomb proof horse in the world................... Try looking in Almondsbury, Tockington, Alveston, Olveston as still very close to north Bristol but more to river side

She said there is bridle paths but you have to go accross the main road, there is a girl who only hacks so I thought it might not be too bad.. I might try and have a walk around there tomorrow! Looked at one in almondsbury, no good. Looking at a highly recommended yard in alveston tomorrow :) think it has all the toll rides too! X

Last edited:

Kick On

Visit site
She said there is bridle paths but you have to go accross the main road, there is a girl who only hacks so I thought it might not be too bad.. I might try and have a walk around there tomorrow! Looked at one in almondsbury, no good. Looking at a highly recommended yard in alveston tomorrow :) think it has all the toll rides too! X
My question would be are bridle paths open all year round as very wet this year (plus how busy with: say dog walker/cyclists etc) , plus which main road do you have to cross and at what time as that makes a huge difference. Rush hours NUTS!! grid locked traffic - if you want to pm me the location I can help further xxx

lhotse

Visit site
Two horses have been hit by cars in the Winterbourne area in the last 4 months. All the lanes are used as rat runs to get to the large employment centres of Cribbs and Abbey Wood/Aztec West and the local travellers site use the roads as race tracks for their horses with no regards to other road users. I used to ride someone's horses stabled in Frampton 25 years ago and the roads were bad enough then. If you want good hacking, then you need to head over towards the Horton/Wickwar areas.

exracehorse1995

Visit site
Two horses have been hit by cars in the Winterbourne area in the last 4 months. All the lanes are used as rat runs to get to the large employment centres of Cribbs and Abbey Wood/Aztec West and the local travellers site use the roads as race tracks for their horses with no regards to other road users. I used to ride someone's horses stabled in Frampton 25 years ago and the roads were bad enough then. If you want good hacking, then you need to head over towards the Horton/Wickwar areas.

That's awful! I am happy to go alveston etc way, which was my original plan, just happened to come by this yard and really liked it, will def keep looking anyway!

treacle_beastie

Visit site
wickwar is rubbish for hacking! Horton/badminton ace. alveston/almindsbury also good. frampton/winterbourne do have bridleways but those roads would make hacking a bit hairy and would put me off. If you go chipping sodbury way you can hack to badminton as well as hinton/dyrham. PM me if you want as know pretty much all the bridleways in the area and what the yards are like :)

miss_c

Visit site
I can guess which yard you have looked at. I'm nearby but rarely hack and it tends to be a short 'round the block' outside of rush hour times. Even getting to the yard can be hard for me if going 'against the flow' as it's used as a rat run. There are indeed bridle paths, but they are busy roads to get to them and none of them join up well.

lhotse

Visit site
wickwar is rubbish for hacking! Horton/badminton ace. alveston/almindsbury also good. frampton/winterbourne do have bridleways but those roads would make hacking a bit hairy and would put me off. If you go chipping sodbury way you can hack to badminton as well as hinton/dyrham. PM me if you want as know pretty much all the bridleways in the area and what the yards are like :)

By Wickwar, I mean the yards that can access the Horton/Mapleridge bridleways and so easy access to Badminton that way. There is a plan in place to establish some permitted bridlepaths in Lower Woods on the drier paths in addition to the existing bridleway. Basically, the area to the east of Wickwar/Yate and you are in hacking heaven. Once you get across the A46, you can hack all the way to Westonbirt without touching a road practically.

treacle_beastie

Visit site
By Wickwar, I mean the yards that can access the Horton/Mapleridge bridleways and so easy access to Badminton that way. There is a plan in place to establish some permitted bridlepaths in Lower Woods on the drier paths in addition to the existing bridleway. Basically, the area to the east of Wickwar/Yate and you are in hacking heaven. Once you get across the A46, you can hack all the way to Westonbirt without touching a road practically.

ah yes, hacking great down that bit. wickwar itself is rubbish if you have to hack on the road!