Hacking incident advice pls

eatonbraynat

Visit site
My horse is really not the best out hacking, so I do know he has issues, he can't be hacked out in company as he just cannot cope with it for some odd reason.
His 'go to' behaviour if he is put into a situation he deems difficult, schooling or hacking is to paw the ground. When I'm out hacking he will also do tiny mini baby jumps with front legs.
I then know his brain is at the point of not coping so we work through the issue sympathetically.

Anyway this morning I had the worst ever hack with him napping strongly (unusual) for no apparent reason, and for the first time ever his mini baby hops turned into slightly bigger hops spinning for home and lots of pawing the ground. ( he is not in pain, treeless and bitless, recently had back, teeth done).

Now the circumstances were not the best. He has just been put on new grass, he was unhappy about the wind and the rain and we were on a hacking route that we have only ridden once before. So I kinda feel the odds were against us anyway.
But as far as I could see, there was nothing specific that he could see that was causing this. In the end I dismounted as I didn't want him to push him to the point of a full blown reaction.

I remounted and He settled down once we were on our way home but I'm concerned this may turn into a habit and I certainly don't want him to start this and taking it a step further than today.

He is 11 years old and a difficult section d! I've had him for nine years. I remember having sane hacks once upon a time but he seems to have gotten worse as he has gotten older .

My question is, how can I prevent this spiralling out of control? Do I take him back to the same hack tomorrow and try again?

Thank you!

dianchi

Visit site
Personally I would do some ground work, build back up some trust between you, be seen as leader.
If possible and its safe take him out on long reins, keeps you safe and you can see a different view

I would say that perhaps some lessons with an instructor so that they can see the issues when you push him, incase he's learnt that pratting about gets out of it or if there is another reason for behaviour.

Good luck!

muckypony

Visit site
The problem here is.....

'He is a difficult Section D'

:p

I also agree about getting an instructor to oversee, there could be something quite obvious to someone else.

In the meantime I would refrain from riding on roads. Having a difficult D myself I know how dangerous it can be when a small napping episode explodes!!

fatpiggy

Visit site
My D cross did all of those on hacks apart from the spinning and running home because I wouldn't allow her to go forwards at the speed she wanted - gallop. They do have a tendancy to spit their dummies out and have hissy fits. She was absolutely great in windy conditions, not spooky but really keen to gallop into the wind and challenge its strength like someone putting their shoulder to a locked door. However, she really hated getting rain in her ears and would mess about. But then, I don't like it either.
Oh, and mine had to be hacked out alone too (suited me to be honest as I could chat rubbish to her and do exactly what I liked, not be forced into doing things I didn't want to do just to keep the group happy), as she was very dominant and wouldn't tolerate anything in front of her, or close up behind her either. She once decided that two passing cyclists were taking the mick and just took off after them and got back in front. Very embarrassing.

I would just carry on without changing anything. If you expect trouble you will as sure as heck get it, especially with a D. Keep talking to him, even if you end up explaining why you want him to do something and not misbehave. I lost count of the number of times I told my girl she was a silly old fool who didn't know how lucky she was to be living with me.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
What does he do in company? I'd take him out with a sane horse and get him to settle and take reassurance from them.
It could be that you are tense and he picks up on it.
Could someone else try taking him out?
As someone said do some ground work to get him listening to you.
And perhaps long rein him on a short hack and see how he is.

Michen

Visit site
If this behaviour is unusual don't assume he's not in pain. Anything could have happened since he had his back done, he could easily have rolled and twisted or bruised something. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, get him checked again whilst doing groundwork and then get back on knowing for sure it was behavioural only.

My horse is really not the best out hacking, so I do know he has issues, he can't be hacked out in company as he just cannot cope with it for some odd reason.
His 'go to' behaviour if he is put into a situation he deems difficult, schooling or hacking is to paw the ground. When I'm out hacking he will also do tiny mini baby jumps with front legs.
I then know his brain is at the point of not coping so we work through the issue sympathetically.

Anyway this morning I had the worst ever hack with him napping strongly (unusual) for no apparent reason, and for the first time ever his mini baby hops turned into slightly bigger hops spinning for home and lots of pawing the ground. ( he is not in pain, treeless and bitless, recently had back, teeth done).

Now the circumstances were not the best. He has just been put on new grass, he was unhappy about the wind and the rain and we were on a hacking route that we have only ridden once before. So I kinda feel the odds were against us anyway.
But as far as I could see, there was nothing specific that he could see that was causing this. In the end I dismounted as I didn't want him to push him to the point of a full blown reaction.

I remounted and He settled down once we were on our way home but I'm concerned this may turn into a habit and I certainly don't want him to start this and taking it a step further than today.

He is 11 years old and a difficult section d! I've had him for nine years. I remember having sane hacks once upon a time but he seems to have gotten worse as he has gotten older .

My question is, how can I prevent this spiralling out of control? Do I take him back to the same hack tomorrow and try again?

Thank you!

Serianas

Visit site
I would also check to make sure he hasnt hurt himself, mine had a completely out of character incident when mounted. Normally he is very sane and sensible, with the odd grump, but the day in question he knocked me to the floor (I was on foot with a bad back), jumped over me, dumped my friend (who has kindly volunteered to ride him for me while I was broken) in a stable and then preceeded to look petrified. When she remounted, we rode to the school which is on a downhill and he preceeded to buck. When my riding instructor came up that day she had a look at him (as I had assumed he was just being fizzy) it turned out he had bruised his shoulder in the night and the pressure of the saddle had really hurt him. I still feel damned guilty for it as I should have know he wasnt like that.

eatonbraynat

Visit site
Hi all and thanks for your replies.
In answer to all your questions,
I do have regular lessons and have done for many years.
There is no way I could cope long reining him out as Im not confident id be able to deal with any spinning and running home incident if I'm behind him and on the ground.
By ground work, are you suggesting natural horsemanship or schooling type work?
In the school he is not nappy, but a little spooky, runs away a bit and needs lots of slow calm work.
He is literally fed half a mug of balancer and a couple of supplements. I can't cut it down anymore!
He absolutely can't hack with others, he pulls like a train tries to run off can't cope with the others near him. I spend the entire time having my arms pulled out.
I'll look into the pain again.

Many thanks guys!

Sent from my iPad