Hacking on Mayhill, Gloucestershire?

hgm5

Visit site
Hi wondered if anyone based in FOD area knows of the best place to access bridlepaths on Mayhill?

I often walk using the entrance on the Clifford mense road off Yartleton lane but unsure if I could use that way for the horse?

Id be hacking from Longhope using Barrell lane to et to there as got to avoid A40!

Any suggestions or advise welcome!

Forester

Visit site
Hi,
I haven't done it for years as I sadly don't ride any more but you used to be able to ride to the top of May Hill by going along Barrel Lane. I used to turn onto Barrel Lane near the Nags Head/ Farmers Boy and it was fairly straight forward from there although there was a cattle grid to go around at one point.You turn right at one point and it takes you onto Yartleton Lane.

I hope that you go and enjoy it. There is nothing to beat the gallop up to the top of the hill.:)

hgm5

Visit site
Thank you, yes I know where you mean about the cattle grid, the common around the hill seems to be freely open to ride around but the horse gate to the summit seems to be combination padlocked, which seems bonkers as there horses and cattle grazing the hill.

Hopefully I can find someone who knows the combination!