Hacking on roads

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Hoofboots don't slip on the new style tarmac either.
I don't have a choice of not riding on the roads because there are few bridleways near us and we have no arena to ride in. My pony much prefers to hack than be in a school anyway. Fortunately he's very goo and excellent at squeezing into the hedge when need be. That said, the roads are getting busier all the time and there are some routes I won't ride because of the blind bends.

Em123

Visit site
None of my horses are very good out hacking, one hasn't been hacked for 18months either :(
I'm lucky at the moment to be able to go straight out onto the ridgeway and don't have to go on roads but will be moving soon :(
Last time i went on the roads I had a BMW drive so fast and close he broke the end of my schooling whip! Despite being on a 17hh grey in broad daylight with polite gear galore!
It's just such a risk

WandaMare

Visit site
I do hack on roads as very few bridle paths near us but I try to avoid busy times of day and don't go out if there are strong winds.

julie111

Visit site
Rachaelstar, our field is near a quarry and we have arctics going past all throughout the day mon - fri, our boys are totally used to them and don't bat an eyelid, also the drivers are extremely courteous, far more so than some car drivers! :)

Jingleballs

Visit site
I go on the roads and believe it's a useful part of a horses training AND subsequent fitness regime. I am lucky enough to live in a fairly rural area (though on a ratrun) and 99.9% of people who pass are very good and even, on occasion too good (think turning engine off, waiting and creeping past at the speed of a gnat!) but I'm thankful, always.

If people stop riding out, it will become harder for those that do and slowly they will stop too. And then the barrrrrr... have won!

^^^ This.

We have to hack on roads to get to any off road hacking - this includes hacking through an industrial estate with large lorries and machinery - the horses just need to learn to deal with it and the are all fine in traffic.

We always wear hi viz and are courteous to drivers as we'd expect them to be courteous to us - the the vast majority are!

Brightbay

Visit site
^^^ This.

We have to hack on roads to get to any off road hacking - this includes hacking through an industrial estate with large lorries and machinery - the horses just need to learn to deal with it and the are all fine in traffic.

We always wear hi viz and are courteous to drivers as we'd expect them to be courteous to us - the the vast majority are!

Agreed :)

Also - riders are not the only road users who aren't in cars. Drivers need to be aware of people riding bikes, recumbent bikes, motorbikes - and they need to be aware of pedestrians on country roads with no pavements. If they start creating a fuss because they have to slow down behind a bike coming up to a blind bend, or because they have to slow down for pedestrians, nobody gets up in arms about it (and cyclists and pedestrians don't, as a rule, thank cars for doing it). Yet someone riders are treated differently. They shouldn't be. All road users should treat each other with courtesy and understanding (and patience) - this morning I had to drive a couple of miles along our windy country lanes behind a tractor and muck spreader. I didn't get impatient, because there was no point. I didn't expect the tractor driver to thank me (although he did). The same rules of the road and the same behaviour applies across all situations.

stormox

Visit site
Unless you have a massive field you can ride in, I would think it very cruel to ride only in an arena. Think how pointless it would seem to the horse to only trot round in endless circles! A good way to stop free forward movement I would think. Also, roadwork is good for tendons etc. circling ona soft surface isnt!
I think a horse should have plenty of variety in its daily work :)

maxapple

Visit site
I hack on roads all over the place. Where we are is mostly lanes and the drivers on the whole are great, always slowing down or stopping to let us pass. Cyclists are pretty good too.

My horses are both better on the roads than off and I often think when I'm in the middle of woods or out in the middle of a field and my horse starts being a wally that I'm at more risk than if I was on a lane where someone could help me if I fell off!

You could google 'horse accidents off road' and find just as many scary stories I'm sure.

Riding is a high risk sport so you just have to take care and minimise risks.

mandwhy

Visit site
My horse loves going out, I would feel sad for her if we just did schooling all the time because she really dislikes it and this is ten minute walk and halt sessions with hand grazing at the end! Schooling forever more would be a fate worse than death for her! Even though I do find riding on the roads nerve wracking I will still do it, and I feel fine in company it is just alone that I am not so keen on. It is quite busy here but we are getting used to it and anywhere we move from now will be infinitely better traffic wise!

benson21

Visit site
I am one of those unfortunate people that has had a horse related accident on the road.
After the accident, and for a good 2 years, I had been saying I would never go out on the road again.
But, now I have started to drive donovan on the road, he is like a different pony! he has an interest where he is going, its giving him lots of new experiences, and its (almost!) a pleasure for me, although I still have the vivid images in my mind.
What is going to happen, will happen. You cannot see an accident before it happens, and if you are going to stop doing everything that has the possibility of an accident, you will never get out of bed in the mornings!
Its taken a lot of nerve and bravery to get me back on the roads, and ok, i am still not completely comfortable, but why should I take the pleasure away from my horse, because of my insecurities?

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I am one of those unfortunate people that has had a horse related accident on the road.
After the accident, and for a good 2 years, I had been saying I would never go out on the road again.
But, now I have started to drive donovan on the road, he is like a different pony! he has an interest where he is going, its giving him lots of new experiences, and its (almost!) a pleasure for me, although I still have the vivid images in my mind.
What is going to happen, will happen. You cannot see an accident before it happens, and if you are going to stop doing everything that has the possibility of an accident, you will never get out of bed in the mornings!
Its taken a lot of nerve and bravery to get me back on the roads, and ok, i am still not completely comfortable, but why should I take the pleasure away from my horse, because of my insecurities?
Nerve and bravery is what you have, good for you. If you are going back out on the roads after the terrible events you went through then I think the rest of us will have to grow a pair where possible!!

moana

Visit site
I am a happy hacker and always will be for as long as I can ride. I ride off road when I can, but off road hacking is limited where I am. It would be helpful if horse riders used hi-viz no matter what the weather.

Must join that Facebook group, although I rarely visit FB as I really am not a big fan.
Link or who to look for please?

Last edited:

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I have ridden on the roads for 55 years starting as a child and being on a lead reign. I have ridden in Central London and in rural parts of the country.

Unfortunately there will always be careless, ignorant and dangerous drivers but the vast majority are careful when passing horses.

I would strongly advise anyone riding out to wear long sleeved Hi-Viz jackets so that other road users can clearly see your hand signals and to avoid hacking out when the sun is low and bright as motorists are blinded by it.

Also take the BHS Road Safety Course (They are organised in every county of the U.K.) and will give you a number of useful tool for when riding out and on the roads.

Unfortunately we have a fragmented bridleway network in Great Britain with too few horse riders doing anything positive to do anything about it. If you are interested in more off road routes then join the BHS and then join your local County committee and work with them to improve the bridleway network in your immediate area.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I gave up hacking on the roads 20+ years ago; it's just too dangerous and drivers have no idea how to approach and pass a horse safely. You lot in the UK are SO LUCKY to have the bridlepath network, over here there is nothing.