Hacking on the roads

Amye

Visit site
Can you report it to the police without a reg number? Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago, no chance of a reg!

Sis and I had a lovely hack last night, aside from a few idiots most people round us are lovely, and we've trained the regulars so much that they've ended up thanking us as they pass before we can thank them :D

(I always use the raised hand to thank people unless I need two hands on the reins, I think drivers can see it more clearly. If they have windows open/roof down, we call out a verbal thank you as well)

Yes i always say thankyou and I say it outloud too so if they do have window down they can hear and if not they can see me say it :)

MDB

Visit site
We had a close call with a tractor today. On a single lane dirt track winding uphill through woods. Tractor came trundling round the bend, he was mostly obscured by overhanging trees. By the time he was in clear line of sight maybe only 15 m in front, we could see he was completely preoccupied with his phone, texting, head down, oblivious to us. Luckily my friend and I yelled so loud and he looked up just in time.

Overread

www.flickr.com
MDB that deserves reporting - its illegal in most places to be texting whilst driving (although I note you're in Spain so I don't know if that's a law out there or not?

UnaB

Visit site
Have JUST starting riding my just broken mare on the roads, first time last weekend. Have no choice but to ride on the roads as not much in the way of bridle paths or off road hacking.

The vast majority of people have been very good. Luckily we are in a very horsey area and I think the "CAUTION! Young horse" tabard helps!! We have had a few rude ones though. Either going too fast or my personal pet hate - passing within inches of the horse. Had a particularly annoying thing last Sunday on a narrow country lane. Large 4x4 coming behind so I trotted to move into a gateway further up the road. I had been walking, turned to look over my shoulder when I saw the car then started trotting so anyone with any common sense would understand I was moving on to get out of the way safely. But idiot woman couldn't wait two mins while I trotted up the road. She was revving behind me for a short time then just pushed past with the car halfway in the hedge and beeped and yelled something I couldn't make out (probably don't want to know!!!) As she went past.

That really annoyed me as coming from behind she would have clearly seen the young horse tabard. Could see I was moving out of her way but instead of waiting put my horse (and her car!!!) In danger by acting like an idiot 😠

AandK

Visit site
I do wonder if it's very area specific - I have to say the vast majority of traffic around me (and where I was before) is pretty considerate. Get the odd idiot, but it's pretty rare.

I have to say the same for me, 99.9% considerate drivers where I am now.
Have been on the other end though, used to keep my horse on a country lane that ran parallel to an A road and a motorway so was used as a rat run, hacking along that road was a bit dicey at times!

Amye

Visit site
Have JUST starting riding my just broken mare on the roads, first time last weekend. Have no choice but to ride on the roads as not much in the way of bridle paths or off road hacking.

The vast majority of people have been very good. Luckily we are in a very horsey area and I think the "CAUTION! Young horse" tabard helps!! We have had a few rude ones though. Either going too fast or my personal pet hate - passing within inches of the horse. Had a particularly annoying thing last Sunday on a narrow country lane. Large 4x4 coming behind so I trotted to move into a gateway further up the road. I had been walking, turned to look over my shoulder when I saw the car then started trotting so anyone with any common sense would understand I was moving on to get out of the way safely. But idiot woman couldn't wait two mins while I trotted up the road. She was revving behind me for a short time then just pushed past with the car halfway in the hedge and beeped and yelled something I couldn't make out (probably don't want to know!!!) As she went past.

That really annoyed me as coming from behind she would have clearly seen the young horse tabard. Could see I was moving out of her way but instead of waiting put my horse (and her car!!!) In danger by acting like an idiot 😠

People are so impatient nowadays! Can't wait two minutes for a safe passing place

MDB

Visit site
MDB that deserves reporting - its illegal in most places to be texting whilst driving (although I note you're in Spain so I don't know if that's a law out there or not?

Yes it is illegal here too. But nobody pays attention to rules here, and complaining as a foreigner here will only get yourself a bad name. I think the driver got quite a fright to be honest. Hopefully it may make him think twice next time.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Wow OP that sounds horrific! I think a lot has to do with where you live in the country. Where I live, I've never come across a nasty driver - yes, had the occasional one who came a bit too fast but never someone genuinely rude. One van driver came tearing round a tight bend a few weeks ago when I was riding so I moved onto the verge, as soon as he saw me he braked very quickly and it clearly scared him to death as he looked shocked and was extremely apologetic to me. Everyone round me slows right down when they see me riding but then I'm hoping I've bribed them a bit because I also lead out my 4yo son on his little pony and have ensured from day 1 he always always waved happily at drivers which they all seem to think is pretty cute, even the teenagers in their souped up cars happily wave back at him and slow right down ;) I've got the locals well trained, ha ha!