Hacking out with others during covid

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
I’m hacking out quietly once a day, just round the block by myself.
Others on my diy livery yard are hacking out in pairs.
I’ve interpreted the government advice not to exercise or meet up etc with people not in your family. I wouldn’t meet someone for a run, cycle or dog walk so is hacking out any different?
They say keeping to two others together and far enough apart is fine but I don’t agree. I would love to hack out with someone but I just don’t think it’s right.
What are you all doing?

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
This is the umpteenth new thread on this topic and it's getting tiresome. If you don't think it's right don't do it, but don't judge others that have assessed the risk and decided in pairs is fine. The government advise is actually no more than 2 unrelated people that don't live together can congregate so they are not doing anything wrong. I'd also be surprised if they managed to get much within 6 feet riding any way. I don't hack alone as for me I don't think it's safe. I assessed the risk and decided being with a good friend was much safer than on my own. My horse is calmer probably as I am calmer.

H&H had an article published a few days ago with clarified alot of the government advise, which is very generous to horse owners. You may want to read that.

Iris1995

Visit site
It is not allowed. It is against the law but so is speeding or drink driving and people still do it. Do what you want but accept that it is wrong.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
In uk riding is still allowed as is hacking on public and private land. Ricotta areyou maybe in Ireland, France etc where riding,and I think attending to the horse is banned. However uk government has not banned attending our horses more than once per day or exercising them and has requested we do this as part of our daily exercise. In UK 2 people not related or from same household are allowed together in public so hacking as a pair is within the government guidance. If it isn't the lovely police officers who slow down wave and say have a nice ride on our country lanes are not doing their job properly.

SpringArising

Visit site
They say keeping to two others together and far enough apart is fine but I don’t agree.

You've just said here that 'they' (I presume you're referring to the Gov) say it's fine, but that you don't agree. So is this about your personal opinion rather than the actual guidelines?

You've got less chance of catching it hacking with someone than you do going to the supermarket. I don't have an issue with anyone hacking in pairs.

magicmoments

Visit site
Have I missed something. I thought it was only from the same household together for exercise as I haven't hacked out without anyone either for that reason. I'm happy to be wrong though. I agree chances are minuscule anyway, but didn't want to go against what i thought was government advice.

Iris1995

Visit site
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made/data.pdf

the law says a reasonable excuse for being away from home is to exercise alone or with your household. If it had meant you could exercise in pairs it would have said so. It is everyone’s choice as to what they do but don’t try to say it is allowed. Just because it is being enforced pragmatically doesn’t make it right.

TreeDog

Visit site
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made/data.pdf

the law says a reasonable excuse for being away from home is to exercise alone or with your household. If it had meant you could exercise in pairs it would have said so. It is everyone’s choice as to what they do but don’t try to say it is allowed. Just because it is being enforced pragmatically doesn’t make it right.

"During the emergency period, no person may participate in a gathering in a public place of more than two people except—"

More than two people. Two people is fine.

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
But if we can’t exercise with another person from a different house hold, why would we be able to ride with them? I would love to be able to ride with my friend and agree the risk of catching it is clearly low but I can’t see anywhere where it says it’s acceptable.

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
You've just said here that 'they' (I presume you're referring to the Gov) say it's fine, but that you don't agree. So is this about your personal opinion rather than the actual guidelines?

You've got less chance of catching it hacking with someone than you do going to the supermarket. I don't have an issue with anyone hacking in pairs.

No sorry, I meant ‘they’ as in the girls from the yard.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I wouldn't consider hacking with another horse exercising together particularly. You don't have to be on top of each other, you could actually leave a horse's length between you and be well outside the recommended distance. Personally I think this thread is part of a yard bitchfest.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I'm not hacking atm - trying to minimize risk of injury and a hospital visit but am riding in the arena with another livery friend.
Prefer not to ride alone for safety reasons tbh.
Very lucky that we are able to visit and ride - many others aren't as we know.
Good news is that pole work has improved immensely - enjoying looking up different exercises & doing them with someone else makes it more enjoyable too.

indie1282

Visit site
But if we can’t exercise with another person from a different house hold, why would we be able to ride with them? I would love to be able to ride with my friend and agree the risk of catching it is clearly low but I can’t see anywhere where it says it’s acceptable.

You have just answered your own question.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
But you can gather with 2 people of different households.

The law states no more than 2 (this means one or two people) may gather in a public place (this means away from your home on common ground) except (this means there are exemptions to no more than 2):-
They are members of the same household( this means if there are more than two I.e. 3 and above and you live in the same house you can gather in public without worry that the police can move you on or fine you)

Therefore 2 unrelated people from different households, according to the government own guidance, can gather as long as you don't invite a third.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
My daughter is hacking a couple of times a week with one of her friends from the yard - it’s much safer for them both than going solo. They are much further apart than 6 feet when they’re on their horses, and it’s no different than riding with one other person in the arena which is their other option.

Shay

Visit site
The only readon I am hesitant to hack at the moment is becuase there are so many walkers / dog walkers / kids on bikes at the moment who would not normally be outside and have absolutely no idea that horses use bridlepaths! But hacking as a pairis - as others have said - not banned in the UK. Maybe it should be - the order was hastily written. But the bottom line is that hacking as pair is perfectly legal.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
The only readon I am hesitant to hack at the moment is becuase there are so many walkers / dog walkers / kids on bikes at the moment who would not normally be outside and have absolutely no idea that horses use bridlepaths! But hacking as a pairis - as others have said - not banned in the UK. Maybe it should be - the order was hastily written. But the bottom line is that hacking as pair is perfectly legal.

I had this major worry however the cyclists and walkers, even dog walkers around my way have been so pleasant and thoughtful I really hope it continues past the social distancing restrictions.

The cyclists all shout to let us know they are coming up behind, bid us a good day as they pass, slow down on approach and dogs are swiftly called back and put on leads when the owners see us.

SO1

Visit site
I thought you could not meet up with anyone who you didn't live with unless it was for work.

So yard staff paid to hack out could go in pairs as they are working. Others could not ride out together unless living together.

JoannaC

Visit site
I would have thought it safer to go out in pairs rather than on your own. You can easily keep the correct social distance apart. I've chosen not to ride at the moment but I have the horses at home so if anything happened to me I wouldn't have anyone to look after them. Well my husband would do his best but I couldn't expect anyone to come in at the moment.

stormox

Visit site

In Ireland we have slightly different rules. Here (Ireland) we cannot excersise with someone from another household, so hacking out with someone isnt allowed unless its from your own household. And we are limited to 2km from home.
In UK you arent allowed groups of 3 or more from different households but you are allowed 2.....and theres no limit how far you can go. - Thats how I understand it....

Upthecreek

Visit site
The problem is the legislation doesn’t entirely make sense. Gatherings of more than two people from different households are banned. The message is still to stay at home and we are still only allowed out for certain specific reasons so if you are ‘gathering’ with someone from a different household for a reason that is not listed as a reasonable excuse you are breaking the law. Under the Restrictions on Movement section of the Act it says “no person may leave their house without reasonable excuse“ and then lists the reasonable excuses. I think you would struggle to argue that hacking with a friend comes under any of the reasonable excuses listed.

You cannot meet a friend for a picnic in the park or on the beach for example because you shouldn’t be there, it is not one of the reasons you are allowed to be out. You cannot take exercise with anyone you don’t live with, so you cannot hack with a friend as your daily exercise. If you are looking for legislation that precisely stipulates whether or not you can hack with a friend you won’t find it, but it is against the legislation.

The police are also struggling to interpret the legislation correctly so there is variation on what is being accepted depending on where you are in the country. I also think the attitude is relaxing compared to when lockdown started. For that reason alone you can probably hack with a friend without fear of being told not to, but that doesn’t mean that it’s acceptable under The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Upthecreek

Visit site

magicmoments

Visit site
I've just referred back to the government website and it says you are allowed to exercise either on your own or with members of your family. I realise it is often safer to hack with someone else, but where are those of that think you can go with someone else not in your household finding that information. I just want to find what I have missed. It is a genuine enquiry, not looking for trouble.

Abi90

Visit site
I've just referred back to the government website and it says you are allowed to exercise either on your own or with members of your family. I realise it is often safer to hack with someone else, but where are those of that think you can go with someone else not in your household finding that information. I just want to find what I have missed. It is a genuine enquiry, not looking for trouble.

It’s the part where it says you can “gather” in public with one other person not from your household I think