Hacking to lesson/clinics etc

jenbleep

Visit site
Hello all :D

What's the furthest you've had to hack to a lesson?

I only ask because I have no transport (unless the owner decides to take me but I hate asking her all the time! She's ok for shows if her daughter is going to, fair enough) and I *really* want to have a xc lesson once a month at a centre which is about 4-5 miles away (Google maps doesn't work it out the way I ride!)

The course is about 40 mins hack away (walk and trot) so that would be 40 mins there, 90 mins lesson (max) and 40 mins back. Do you think this is too much? I've done it before but to be honest she was fine I was the one who was knackered!

How long have you had to hack somewhere or are you all lucky and have always had transport? (My NYE resolution was to learn to tow, oops) :D

BigRed

Visit site
A few years ago, when I did not have a trailer, I used to hack 40 minutes to have a lesson and then hack back. It really depends on how fit your horse is. After all, if you expect him to canter around a XC course, he must surely be quiet fit ? I would not see it as a problem.

jenbleep

Visit site
A few years ago, when I did not have a trailer, I used to hack 40 minutes to have a lesson and then hack back. It really depends on how fit your horse is. After all, if you expect him to canter around a XC course, he must surely be quiet fit ? I would not see it as a problem.

No Charisma is fit enough it's just me! :p

Sarah2207

Visit site
I would do it if the horse is fit enough. You could plan to arrive a bit early and take a snack or something if you want a break before the lesson!

mtj

Visit site
Used to have an Arab (lived out/large sloping fields) and she found this a doddle.

Assuming your horse is fit, only suggestion is that you wear comfy boots so you have the option of leading some of the way home.

Joyous70

Visit site
I have hacked to a XC schooling session that was over an hour maybe an hour and halfs ride away, so thats almost 3 hours hacking prior to and after schooling.

Both times i have done it both of my boys have come back full of running even after going round a 5 mile XC course as well :D

Best advice is get there early, have a break, maybe a snack and off you go ;)

MaisieMooandCometToo

Visit site
I used to have a thirty minute hack to an outdoor arena where I would have an hours lesson and then hack back, taking 40 minutes because I'd slow the pace down. I also used to have an hours hack to the local riding club fields where we'd spend two hours and then hack back again!! Of course I do have a trailer and an outdoor arena at my livery so this is no longer the case!
As long as the horse is fit then I see no problem with it and it serves as a little warm up so you can have more teaching time!!

jenbleep

Visit site
Used to have an Arab (lived out/large sloping fields) and she found this a doddle.

Assuming your horse is fit, only suggestion is that you wear comfy boots so you have the option of leading some of the way home.

LOL good point - I did this when I went over there last year and my boots rubbed the back of my ankles off, agh!

Thanks for the replies, best book my lesson then! :D