Hacking Tracking (and any other tips)

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I'm thinking ahead (as I often do!), this time about things which might be useful for when I start venturing out with share horse independently. So far I'm enjoying being accompanied by his owner but the aim is for her to have some days off when I'm up to scratch on everything. My confidence is growing each time and I am feeling so grateful for the opportunity I have with this owner and her horse. Of course I will always seek her approval for anything I do/don't do with share horse but I like getting wider ideas from the forum so I'm wondering about...

What apps do people use for route tracking/planning when out hacking? I know there are ones for running/cycling, do these work for when you're off main routes (i.e. on byways, bridleways etc.) or are there ones which are better for riding? I'm usually quite good with my sense of direction but the hacking (luckily?!) really does feel in the middle of nowhere so I'd like something to help me get my bearings.

Are hat cams necessary/worth it? I do enjoy 'between the ears' videos but wondering how necessary this is - there is very minimal road work and on very quiet lanes but might still be sensible to have one, I'm not sure.

Is it worth me picking up a BHS Ride Safe book? I'm not sure what courses are running around road safety but it's really now just occurring to me that although I have been hacking before, it's not something that I've experienced being 'taught' - if that makes sense? I'll be honest that I'm a bit nervous about it (improving every week as I do more!) so possibly overthinking but definitely up for ideas of ways to make it as safe as possible so that it's enjoyable rather than a source of worry :)

asmp

Visit site
Can’t really answer any of the above questions but do download the what3words app for safety reasons. If you have an accident you’ll be able to pinpoint your position within a few feet to the emergency services and any friends/relatives who also have the app.

DiNozzo

Visit site
Have you done much cycling? If so its more or less the same... Except you're sitting on an animal!

If not, or if you're not confident, definitely pick up the Ride Safe book. I did it when it was still Riding and Road Safety and the examiner had a row with me about just how far she expected my neck to turn. But the theory is useful. Just be warned that while it tells you how to behave, there are no guarantees that other users will behave properly!

Lots of people use Equilab but I haven't had a hackable horse to try it.

HatCams are a bit like insurance... Fairly useless until you need it and then very useful. Ask your owner! They'll know the roads and risks better than you.

Polos Mum

Visit site
You can subscribe to get local OS maps on your phone - very handy to know which tracks are which if you're new to the area.
If you have or can borrow a dog, its a good way to check whether local routes are horse accessible (some aren't even when they should be).
Presumably you'll be learning the most common routes with your share owner.

I am a recent convert to Equilab for tracking - but that's more for my / horses fitness than helping plan or routes.

Totally second what three words - should be installed on manufacture IMHO and anyone walking, cycling, riding etc should have it - it's free and invaluable - all the emergency services and local mountain rescue people rate it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I use viewranger for mapping and tracking.
Even though I have the OS maps free (as hard copy purchased) I still prefer using viewranger so download the explorer maps there too.

The reason I got it was because it would locate you without a signal, which was lacking at our wiltshire base but we had loads we could get to and explore.

If you do viewranger via subscription it will snap to tracks automatically, I just draw a rough route to check I'm not doing twice as many miles as I wanted to be doing ;).

Pedantic

Visit site
Equilab for tracking, and yes get a head cam with a remote fob to clip to saddle, they arent just for traffic, they are good for dog incidents, and anti social problems from idiots etc.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Thank you all for the suggestions. I've downloaded OS maps, viewranger, and w3w to have a play with. Will probably get a Ride Safe book - a bit of theory couldn't hurt, and will check out Equilab too.

I'm feeling quite in awe of happy hackers - I'm still feeling quite nervous about it despite having gone out a few (I think 5 or 6) times now. Perhaps I was being unrealistic about expecting things to fall into place? I do feel I've found a good owner and sensible horse, and if I can work on my confidence in time my riding will really come along. There looks like the possibility of someone else to ride out with so that would be a good step (or maybe persuade my partner to join me on foot) because heading out solo seems impossible to me at the moment. I'm sure it isn't impossible, and anything can happen to anyone even if they have been riding for years. Just need to work out how to take steps towards it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I had had F for a long time before we were somewhere where exploring was viable (going with mum was always problematic as she'd be worried for the duration, where as I am always happy to retrace my steps if lost). The locator on viewranger was also helpful for some of the private woodland which had lots of tracks but only 2 bridleways and they would get understandably stroppy if you were on the wrong one.

Most of the yard thoughty my long ones a bit bonkers, if anyone asked if I was hacking it was quickly followed by 'how far' :D, Before I had viewranger I did get lost in the dark once when I had slightly estimated wrong, decided F might take us home and he took us in completely the wrong bloody direction. Last time I listened to him - we did get back fine but it was the one time they were a bit worried about me.

I use it for cycling off road now instead, I am not sure F minds having handed over the exploring to something else now he is retired.

cold_feet

Visit site
You can subscribe to get local OS maps on your phone - very handy to know which tracks are which if you're new to the area.
If you have or can borrow a dog, its a good way to check whether local routes are horse accessible (some aren't even when they should be).
Presumably you'll be learning the most common routes with your share owner.

I am a recent convert to Equilab for tracking - but that's more for my / horses fitness than helping plan or routes.

Totally second what three words - should be installed on manufacture IMHO and anyone walking, cycling, riding etc should have it - it's free and invaluable - all the emergency services and local mountain rescue people rate it.
Just curious, how would a dog help?

J&S

Visit site
When I have moved to a new area I print off a few a4 pages from the OS map, covering a good area. I personally would be worried about holding a phone to follow routes! I put the days area/page into a plastic map holder, put round my neck or attach to the saddle and pick it up as and when needed. Do check new horse doesn't mind a rustley noise up above him! This may seem archaic to some of you techy people! you may have to do a few u turns or discard certain tracks because they are badly kept up. Start off small, get round a little circuit and then expand. Get hubby out on a bike with you!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've recently discovered "Equilab" phone app for hacking; you don't need to subscribe to the Premium service, it works just fine on the free version! But obviously the Premium will give you more, including your "riding buddies" (which you can add) being given a notification of when you're out hacking and it also gives them the route you've taken - which might give you (and your contacts) added peace of mind.

I've also got "What Three Words" on my phone; apparently it is the app that the emergency services are now encouraging everyone who is out and about in the great outdoors to download.

Re. hat-cam; this is deffo something that I will be getting; my problem is making the decision of what one to get! If you go onto the "Pass Wide and Slow" facebook group, there is a special offer on there for a camera which records in front as well as behind - I am strongly tempted to go for this. The offer expires on the 31st August.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Download what three words and don’t worry about confidence, it will come with time. Maybe don’t go for a 3 hour hack for your first one (unless you feel comfortable doing so!) I used to be really nervous hacking on my own but I just tried to go a little further each time which has really helped. Also i bought an Apple Watch for their fall detection feature. I read about a cyclist that had fallen and hit his head on a rock (did have a helmet on!) and passed out and his Apple Watch phoned emergency services with his location. It also text his emergency contact with the same info. But appreciate not everyone has the budget/wants to spend £400 on this small feature!

Branna

Visit site
I love a map so if I'm new to an area I will look at OS maps (usually use the OS layer on bing maps because you can switch between satellite and OS) to plan routes. If there are bits on road I'll look at google streetview too in order to get an idea of the type of road.

I use Equilab too which is great - recently went on a hacking holiday to Thetford Forest and was nervous about getting lost as it's not waymarked. But Equilab is great because it shows the route you have taken in real time, so if you lose your bearings it's easy to see which direction to go in to get back to your starting point.