Hacking with air jacket/hi vis

Maz55

Visit site
Hi my horse is very sharp on her own so I’m planning to use my air jacket for hacking solo but they say not to put anything over the top and I like to wear hi vis - what do people do to be seen?

dominobrown

Visit site
Have you got any hi viz with rubbish velcro? Or a tabard that is way too big? If its a velcro one that you have attachted a little bit it should pop open with the air jacket.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Which air jacket do you have? I've a Hit Air and have found that the hi vis is still clear enough if I wear it underneath.

mustardsmum

Visit site
Karrimore running kit from Sports Direct - they do hi vis running tops (with long sleeves https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-xlite-long-sleeve-running-top-ladies-455161?colcode=45516106 ) and I wear them under my HitAir. They are stupidly cheap but last forever and wash well, the hivis colour doesn't fade. Do find the yellow attracts every fly in the area, so opted for pink or orange (both more visible in summer too). Everyone comments on how bright I am!! I also have a hivis lightweight Karrimoor running jacket https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-running-jacket-ladies-450737?colcode=45073792 , which is is a godsend in this hot weather as its not clingy and shades my arms when riding. Wear it with a vest top underneath and am protected from sun flies, and stay cool! Found a big tabbard over the top of the hit air totally uncomfortable as it just got in the way.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Put a huge hiviz waistcoat on top of it one of the fine mess ones ,easy to get on eBay a man sized one .
I did this for hacking when H was young it looking terrible but there was loads of room for the jacket to inflate I cut a hole in it for the lanyard to pass through .
If your feeling flush buy a hi viz air jacket .

Violet

Visit site
I've got a high vis air jacket
I bought a High Viz Air Waistcoat of a well known brand to go over my Point Two air jacket. I was told it was an Air Waistcoat made for air jackets by the seller. When I went to buy a replacement a few years later I mentioned that the zip was a bit poor design with regards to the lanyard (it has come undone halfway up the zip due to the movement of the lanyard). I was then told by the maker it wasn't an air waistcoat made for air jackets, it was only the name of it. A bit misleading.
Saying that though I still wear it with my air jacket and it has managed to expand with the air jacket when needed.

zola89

Visit site
I wear a cheap hi vis (ikea I think) over my air jacket (hit air). Its pretty baggy but the force of the inflation would undo the velcro at the front easily so never really worried about it!

Steerpike

Visit site
I used a big hi viz vest with elastic on the sides over my point 2 then when I had it serviced I decided to change the colour of my air jacket to hi viz

tiga71

Visit site
I have a point 2 and I always wear my high viz over it. But it has velcro fastenings and is loose. I have come off hacking and it hasn't been a problem having the high viz on.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't understand the problem, this is what velcro is for? And even my zip ups (equisafety and v-bandz) tabards have velcro attachments at each side.

Maz55

Visit site
Thanks all! Can anyone recommend a Velcro hi vis with phone pocket as they all seem to have the zip rather than Velcro. I currently use an equisafety with zip which I love but there’s no way it would give enough if I put over my air jacket if the worst happened. Would be nice to not have to think about an extra holder for the phone!

FFAQ

Visit site
I have a point 2 and wear a big hi vis over the top. I don't do the velcro up. Managed to forget to unplug myself a few months ago and it inflated with no problems. Much to the amusement of all around!

Maz55

Visit site
I have a point 2 and wear a big hi vis over the top. I don't do the velcro up. Managed to forget to unplug myself a few months ago and it inflated with no problems. Much to the amusement of all around!

Oops!!!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Thanks all! Can anyone recommend a Velcro hi vis with phone pocket as they all seem to have the zip rather than Velcro. I currently use an equisafety with zip which I love but there’s no way it would give enough if I put over my air jacket if the worst happened. Would be nice to not have to think about an extra holder for the phone!

I wear mine loosely over my air jacket - it has Velcro / elastic at the sides. I’ve only deployed the air jacket once but it didn’t affect inflation.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I wear a long sleeved high viz under my jacket or a short sleeved one too large over the top, which would pop open should the jacket operate. I wear a high viz hat cover and my horse an ear bonnet, I also use a parson's rump on the horse.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I wear a cheap hi vis (ikea I think) over my air jacket (hit air). Its pretty baggy but the force of the inflation would undo the velcro at the front easily so never really worried about it!

I'm not being funny but would you bet your life on it!

If you are insured, you might well find that your insurance company declined to pay out on the basis that the vest was not used in accordance with the manufacturers instructions as a way of weaselling out. The other thing is it might prevent it from fully deploying as intended, particularly if it inflates outwards and either fail or not offer full protection. This is almost like when the air jackets first came out and people were using refill cylinders that were never intended to be used on air jackets because they were cheaper.

Why not just wear something long sleeved under it, your arms will really stand out, thin running tops are brilliant!