Hacking with tendon boots on?

Micky

Visit site
Does anyone wear boots, tendon or otherwise when hacking to help strengthen the tendons? (Walk mainly, trotting up hill, Tarmac roads, gravel roads?)

LeannePip

Visit site
As Charlie says, they will do nothing to help strengthen the tendons, Your best bet would be to build up road/ hill work gradually without boots to save over heating the legs

Tendon boots really only avoid damage caused by the other legs either brushing or a strike from behind

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Mine always wears tendon boots, no matter what we are doing. Accidents happen and there's no detriment to wearing them (mine are vented) so why not. I also plan to get some knee boots for him to wear.

pansymouse

Visit site
My understand was they actually weaken tendons because the horse relies on them rather than building the underlying tendon strength. I'm sure someone, possibly a vet told me years ago. I think a good steady exercise programme is a better bet.

smja

Visit site
No boots, of any variety, can actually help to strengthen the leg.

Only steady, incrementally increasing work can achieve that.

Micky

Visit site
That's what I thought!! I've never worn boots (bar brushing on xc,) but haven't hacked on hard ground for over a year so was just wondering as some peeps have said to wear them! Knee boots I can understand and know several people who use them.. Thanks people! ��

pansymouse

Visit site
I use knee boots - over 20 years ago I had one trip on the road, skid on his knees and come up with the bones exposed. It took 6 months with him in 24/7 to get to heal them. I've never ridden on a hard surface without knee boots since.

rara007

Visit site
No boots will help strengthen but I do use over reach boots and occasionally Hi-Viz brushing boots, as protection/hi viz

fredders

Visit site
When my horse Injured his tendons the vet told me when I bought him back into work not to use boots on him because not relying on boots would get his leg as strong as possible. That was over 2 years ago and he still very rarely wears boots and has not had any problems.