Hacking

Do you go to a riding school?

• Total voters

mitchellk

Visit site
We walk and trot on the roads, in intervals, and canter on farm ride when getting fit for eventing, however we box to a fenced field locally to do deep lung gallops etc,etc. (just incases i hit the deck!)
I am of the opinion that hammering around in trot on the roads is not great for legs and joints so we do some but not loads.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Why not "I hack out for the sheer pleasure"?

I think hacking provides so much enjoyment for horse and rider, going to new places, being able to have a gallop and blow the cobwebs away.

I prefer to walk mostly, have a little trot, and midway, a canter or gallop.
But then I admit I'm a boring rider!!

Butterbean

Visit site
Don't do a lot of hacking, just once a week as i think its good for the horses to get out and about & see new things. Unfortunately the local hacking isn't too good, lot of roads, not many opportunities for cantering. If we take them out eg for a farm ride, i'll do quite a bit of trot & canter but always lots of walk so they dont get too carried away.

ladylisa

Visit site
I mainly walk where it is roadwork but as soon as im on the bridleways i do more troting and cantering.
You didnt have an option for why i hack: which is because i have no school and field is a bog.

Bex7

Visit site
I do a bit of everything and hack as I enjoy it and so does Bert.

We tend to walk and trot on roads (although not too much trotting as am concious of injury) we always have a canter and if the ground is good then a gallop.

I am a fuss on ground conditions though. I never canter on the roads and will not gallop if the ground is really boggy as I have a complete fear of him slipping (he is very clumsy) and also heard it can cause tendon problems.

spider

community.webshots.com
Reason for hacking - enjoying being out in the countryside.
Please can I ride with your friend for a while. Fed up of people who want to canter everywhere when it is so wet and slippery!