Hacking

Princess16

Visit site
I am still quite new to riding - can trot but canter need lots of work (I'm determined to get there) so would it be OK for me to go out on a hack / trek do you think (in an organised group one of course ) or is it not advisable just yet ?

be positive

Visit site
If the trek is geared towards novices, which many will be, then getting out of the school is actually really beneficial especially if you can have a decent long canter or two, riding in a school all the time does not develop your seat or riding ability in the same way as hacking will, get out, have fun and find out what riding is all about , it is not just about being in a school.

Damnation

Visit site
Go for it! Just make sure that it is organised to suit your ability. Before I owned my own horse some of the best times I had were on novice aimed treks, we got to swim in a lake and all sorts. A change of scenery is good for the soul :D

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
There will be plenty of treks around which will be walk and trot only, if you're not confident to canter. Most of the time you won't really have to ride though, you're more of a passenger on these things. The horses go the same routes regularly and know when they'll be expected to canter and when to stop. The main thing is to continue to learn to canter properly, so many go out hacking and learn to lean forward in canter in a poor approximation of the forward seat and having little control, never bothering to learn to sit up and go with the horses movement and actually ride.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Pick your hack well: go with someone in charge in whom you have confidence, knows your riding ability (and limitations), and who will mount you on something suitable and keep an eye on you.

Best thing to do would be to have some sessions with an instructor in the school, and let them see your riding ability and what you're capable of, and also where you need to improve.

Then ask them to take you out for a hack.

There's nothing like going at speed across open country to give you a firm seat and increase your confidence. Invaluable.

{123756}

Visit site
Hacking is brilliant for not only your ridden position but its fun and makes a nice change from riding in a school all the time. Its also gives the horse a nice change and gives them a bit more to look at and think about.
If you have someone confident to go with you with a safe and soild horse that knows the job its a great idea in my opinion. Just keep it nice and slow, a little trot here and there and you'll love it.