Hacking

Elopi

Visit site
Hi! Looking for some advice :p

I currently part loan, and I would like to take the pony on a hack. The owner said she's happy for me to do whatever I like with said horse and suggested that I can hack out whenever I please. The only issue is that I don't know the area well at all and wouldn't know where to go. The yard is right next to a busy road, however it is in the country side and I'm sure there is lot's of off-road hacking nearby. There are no other liveries so I wouldn't be able to hack in company, and I don't really know what the horse is like on the roads. He is safe as houses when I'm schooling so taking him out is not really an issue - I just don't know where to hack and afraid I'll get lost! :D Should I just go for it and see where it takes me? The yard also has huge fields, perhaps there are bridlepaths coming off the field? HELP

Antw23uk

Visit site
Ask the owner! Assuming they know the area. Failing that OS maps will show bridle routes. Local horsey FB pages to ask if anyone is hacking near you and wants to meet up.

start hacking round the fields whilst you plan.
Also offer to cycle out with the owner riding so you both have company and can be shown where the routes are whilst watching the horse out on the roads with the owner riding. Good luck, how exciting :)

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Buy an ordnance survey map of the area which will show you any bridleways of byways (You can buy them on-lone) . You also need to check out how good the horse is on the roads and if you do venture out wear a long sleeved hi-viz jacket so that you hand signals can be seen clearly.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you are planning to go a long way from home using maps, it would be wise to reconnoitre the route first so as not too get stuck with a long way to turn back to go home if a bridleway or path is blocked. I've been there!

ArklePig

Visit site
Ask if the owner can come with you on your first one. If that's not possible then definitely walk/drive/cycle the root first. I always do that it helps me feel more at ease. I hope you find a nice route and enjoy :)

Abi90

Visit site
If you are planning to go a long way from home using maps, it would be wise to reconnoitre the route first so as not too get stuck with a long way to turn back to go home if a bridleway or path is blocked. I've been there!

ah I love the use of the word reconnoitre here! Very rarely hear it outside of work. Time spent in reconnaissance is rarely wasted, so the saying goes

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I was like this when we first moved here. I consulted a map, then for the first ride went out the gate, turned left, continued to turn left until I found the gate again (having checked with the map that this would work!). Next time went a bit further, time after a bit further still. Each time, the bit we had done before was familiar territory. So, usually we had mostly familiar ride with 20-30 minutes unfamiliar in the middle.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I tend to just go for it and explore (but I was brought up that way!)

Try chatting to other horse riders/ cyclists/ walkers you see in passing if you get the chance?