Hacks? Fun rides?

ann-jen

Visit site
Should think the Alnwick castle ride will be coming up soon which is always a good one. The tynedale hunt ride is good too. If you like to jump the woodland ride at high plains is great too :)

dollymix

Visit site
take a look on the Ride Yorkshire website - lots of rides covered and they also have good contacts for further afield if you give them a ring or send them an email!

kal40

Visit site
Sorry to tell you the Alnwick one is no more. It used to be on twice a year.

First one this year is the Roseden Hill ride, I think its advertised on FB and is on in April.

Percy Hunt usually have a Castle to coast ride.

Morpeth Hunt have a couple. St Cuthberts ride in September is my favourite (College Valley hunt website).

Newcastle RC have at least one maybe two at Blagdon.

Sorry I don't know dates this year as I am on box rest but those are the ones we normally do.

Princess Jess

Visit site
Are there any good hacks that people know of where you can hire a horse? I'm the events sec for the Durham University equestrian society and trying to organise some hacks for this term but struggling to find any good ones local to the Durham area...any help greatfully received!!!

Maximoose

Visit site
Hi Jess,

I’m an ex Durham student and when I was there Ivesley seemed to be quite a popular choice? I never actually went on a hack as was only a member of the club for my first year (namely as I decided I couldn’t do without my own and didn’t have time once I bought him!) Also being a chemist I had quite a full timetable and advanced lessons were often early afternoon so didn’t have time to get there. No idea as to the set up now but could be an option? I believe there used to be a bus so not completely reliant upon those with cars?

Another option which used to be great but would require a car is Saltburn riding school (about a 1 hour drive from Durham). They used to do beach rides, with separate beginner and advanced options and associated horses. I went a few times with a friend who had left her horse at home and was desperate to ride – Saltburn beach is fab for a gallop! Also used to let us borrow/hire horses for their Tuesday night SJ clinics but I guess would be a push to get there in time from Durham (I worked close by at the time).

It’s been a few years (I think 2003/2004 ish?) so a lot will have changed but may be worth a couple of phone calls?

Hope this is some help.

Princess Jess

Visit site
Have you tried Sinderhope trecking centre, I know it's not Durham but it's not too far out and Ihad a geat day there!
http://www.sinderhopeponytrekking.co.uk/

Thank you I'll check them out!

Hi Jess,

I’m an ex Durham student and when I was there Ivesley seemed to be quite a popular choice? I never actually went on a hack as was only a member of the club for my first year (namely as I decided I couldn’t do without my own and didn’t have time once I bought him!) Also being a chemist I had quite a full timetable and advanced lessons were often early afternoon so didn’t have time to get there. No idea as to the set up now but could be an option? I believe there used to be a bus so not completely reliant upon those with cars?

Another option which used to be great but would require a car is Saltburn riding school (about a 1 hour drive from Durham). They used to do beach rides, with separate beginner and advanced options and associated horses. I went a few times with a friend who had left her horse at home and was desperate to ride – Saltburn beach is fab for a gallop! Also used to let us borrow/hire horses for their Tuesday night SJ clinics but I guess would be a push to get there in time from Durham (I worked close by at the time).

It’s been a few years (I think 2003/2004 ish?) so a lot will have changed but may be worth a couple of phone calls?

Hope this is some help.

Hi Maximoose, always lovely to hear from a fellow Durham student! Both sound great so I'll check them out, thank you so much :) I organised a beach ride at the end of last term using Kimmerston stables, they were really good, we had a wonderful gallop along the Holy Island causeway - it's great having such wonderful riding beaches so close by!

Sare

Visit site
Ivesley is no longer- well not as a riding school anyway. It's been sold and is now a livery yard and competition venue. I've never been, but there's West Hoppyland in Hamsterley- it certainly has fabulous hacking opportunities and is within easier reach from Durham.

kal40

Visit site
If anyone didn't know/interested the hulne park ride has been reinstated and is on this Sunday :)

Yes - its on tomorrow. I added the details to another post.

First horse off at 11am, last one at 2pm. 6 mile or 10 mile route. Parking at the Abbey Grounds

And.... the weather forecast is good.

St Cuthberts ride next weekend too.