Had a fitting with Solution/Smart Saddles. Thoughts and advice..?

Embo

Visit site
Long time no post! I started a new job where I actually have work to do, so have been unable to get on the forum much at all. But I had a fitting with Solution Saddles at the weekend and I just want to get some opinions.

Some of you may remember that I've had some trouble getting a dressage saddle to fit B. His jump saddle fits really well, and I've been riding in it exclusively for about a year I think. It's not doing any favours for my position for flat/dressage, but it fits him so I've just got on with it. After some research, I finally decided to try a fitting with Solution Saddles.

They came on Saturday. The lady was really lovely and knew the company history and origins and had genuine answers to my questions. Time to try the saddle. I think she used the thinnest shims. After some fiddling with the knee blocks, I was super comfortable riding in this saddle, although it felt a bit strange having only ridden in a jump saddle for a year! But I felt secure without feeling fixed, I would have bought that saddle for me any day, it was lovely to ride in.

B seemingly hated it. Well I can only assume, he was hollow and tense for most of the test ride, only starting to relax and soften after a good 30 mins. He was even reluctant to stretch, which is usually very happy to do.

He was in a bit of a pig mood, so it's hard to tell how much of this behaviour is down to this, and how much was just hating the saddle. He can often be a bit lazy and backwards but this is the worst I can honestly say he'd been in ages... he never even went like that in his old saddle that didn't fit him.

Anyway, I didn't buy the saddle and I didn't opt for the trial. His reaction really bothered me. Plus I don't like the idea of having to use these shims, having to use a special saddle cloth etc. I have to swap & wash my saddle cloths regularly because of B's granuloma he gets on his back.

I've never ridden in a treeless saddle before and have zero experience - is it normal for horses to react this way the first time? I guess it must feel strange, but I've ridden bareback and bridle-less many times, he's not perfect but he always seems happy/comfortable when I do. Is it worth me going for a trial (it would be £500 deposit, £100 for 2 week trial - if I give saddle back, I'd get £400 back...) or should I just cut my losses at the travel & test-ride fee I've already paid and continue my search? WWYD? I think I've answered my own questions but it's been good to get it all down and I hope to get some good insights from HHO!

buddylove

Visit site
Have heard mixed reviews, and TBH they sound like an absolute faff, and one I would always be worried about getting wrong!
Was there a particular reason for trying treeless? I assume you have tried the dressage version of his jump saddle and had no joy?
I am personally a fan of WOW saddles, have you tried one?

Wheels

Visit site
Normally I would say that it didn't work so just move on.

However, I am a big fan of solution saddles having had my horse in one since July and having seen his muscle development as a result then I would give it another go!

It may well have felt weird to him and trying it out over a longer period may yield different results.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Out of interest, which model of saddle did you try, as there are a quite a few bases that they offer. It's unusual for a horse not to improve on a test ride tbh, but with the Smart saddles there is more variation and some horses suit different models better than others.

The original Solution saddles were better at being adaptable to all manner of shapes and size of horse and rider, which made them imo a lot more useful than the Smart saddles, which were developed to meet the demand of the customers who wanted something that looked more traditional.

I'd be interested to know which advisor came out to you - pm me if you are ok with me knowing!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have three Solution saddles, originally bought for four horses. We bought them to fi the riders and various pads etc to fit the horses. Both my Old Appy and sisters Draught mare loved them. The youngsters appeared to prefer them to the breaking sadles their previous owners had used. It is worth getting a few saddle clothes and just sewing a stitch or two to show you where the pads need to go. If I were you I think I would have the trial of them, they are so good for putting the rider in the right place, we love ours.

honetpot

Visit site
I had someone out just for my own information. She was very nice and I got the full sales pitch. She had a couple of types I tried which I tried to ride with as little contact as possible and not interfere with his natural action and ride in both saddles the same way. The fitter then tried to give me advice on how to ride.
I came to the conclusion that buying a slightly wider fit of a saddle that suits you both and either using a korector saddle pad or shims was a cheaper would allow just as much adjustment for development.
I could not resist buying something similar off of FB just to see if it would be suitable for backing, I have never got around to using it. I must have a clear out.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have three Solution saddles, originally bought for four horses. We bought them to fi the riders and various pads etc to fit the horses. Both my Old Appy and sisters Draught mare loved them. The youngsters appeared to prefer them to the breaking sadles their previous owners had used. It is worth getting a few saddle clothes and just sewing a stitch or two to show you where the pads need to go. If I were you I think I would have the trial of them, they are so good for putting the rider in the right place, we love ours.

YorksG's sister here! The day we tried our Solution saddles, I had just had to call the vet out for a sore eye (which turned out to be an ulcer and needed drops and painkiller), as the consultant was here already, I went ahead with the trial. I didn't feel comfortable at first, until another shim had been added but the mare, who was very quick to tell me when a saddle was uncomfortable, or fitted well, thought it was great from the beginning. She had very big shoulders and a wide barrel.the Solution for for a while, we could dispense with the extra shim because her muscle developed again
I did find the multiple shims a faff tbh but if she had had time off her muscles on one side disappeared so needed the extra shim, when I had ridden her in the Solution for a while we could dispense with the extra shim again.

CMcC

Visit site
Haven’t got experience of Solution saddles but have recently trialled and bought another highly recommended and expensive saddle. Riding during fitting was not great. Pony kept grinding to a halt and not keen to move forward. Right at the end of the session he did put in a very nice trot (one side of the school) but it was enough, along with rave reviews from others, to take the saddle on trial. Next ride in the school was similar to first, took him for a mooch round the field and he really began to open up in walk and then trot. Have now had the saddle about 3 weeks and every time I ride is an improvement.
He is quite a young pony, not a lot of ridden experience and I think at the start he was a bit tentative about the new feeling and what he could do in it.
Might be worth having the trial if you can get over the other reservation of faffing around with shims and saddlecloths.

Pascal96

Visit site
One of my horses hated the Smart saddle but loves the older Freestyle. We put it down to the fact that the pommel in the Smart is stiffer and more fitted whereas the Freestyle seems to be less rigid. All she needed was a front riser pad and nothing else. I am not sure if Solution make a Freestyle at all nowadays but they are available second hand. You could buy one and have it fitted by the Solution fitter. They hold there value really well and if it didn't suit you could probably sell it for what you paid.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
One of my horses hated the Smart saddle but loves the older Freestyle. We put it down to the fact that the pommel in the Smart is stiffer and more fitted whereas the Freestyle seems to be less rigid. All she needed was a front riser pad and nothing else. I am not sure if Solution make a Freestyle at all nowadays but they are available second hand. You could buy one and have it fitted by the Solution fitter. They hold there value really well and if it didn't suit you could probably sell it for what you paid.

Yes the original models (Energist, Freestyle, Jumper) are completely flexible, whereas the Smarts were designed to look more traditional and don't have that level of flexibility.

The Facebook group Unofficial Solution Saddles is useful for advice and for buying used saddles and accessories. You can still get the originals on special order from the company but there are plenty of second hand (and therefore much cheaper) ones out there.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I have had a trial with a Solution saddle, pony is very quick to tell me if he doesn't like a saddle, any saddle treed or treeless. He hated one base of the Solution but was much happier in the Native base, so I would go with your horses opinion. Unfortunately the Solution didn't work long term for him so like everything with horses they don't suit every horse.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had an older one, with the wider gullet, and most horses love it. The type that are very flexible. I have tried a few of the newer ones and they seem to be tighter and narrower in the gullet, and three of my horses did not like those, one even came up with a lump after an hour of riding.

Embo

Visit site
Have heard mixed reviews, and TBH they sound like an absolute faff, and one I would always be worried about getting wrong!
Was there a particular reason for trying treeless? I assume you have tried the dressage version of his jump saddle and had no joy?
I am personally a fan of WOW saddles, have you tried one?

I own the dressage version of his jump saddle, it's the one that doesn't fit! Sadly I'm finding most dressage saddles have a curved tree - B has quite a flat back but has a wither. Curved trees don't suit him at all.

No reason for treeless, specifically - Solution Saddles kept coming up in threads of "what saddle would you recommend..." on FB, so I just decided to give it a go as so many rave reviews!

I have looked at WOW - but reviews seem to be so hit and miss. They are on the list to try eventually.

Out of interest, which model of saddle did you try, as there are a quite a few bases that they offer. It's unusual for a horse not to improve on a test ride tbh, but with the Smart saddles there is more variation and some horses suit different models better than others.

The original Solution saddles were better at being adaptable to all manner of shapes and size of horse and rider, which made them imo a lot more useful than the Smart saddles, which were developed to meet the demand of the customers who wanted something that looked more traditional.

I'd be interested to know which advisor came out to you - pm me if you are ok with me knowing!

We tried the Dressage Pro model. I didn't specifically ask for this one, though. Do you think it would be worth trying the native? Honestly, he went so badly I felt almost ashamed. The level I told her we train at vs what she saw... I did say to her, you probably think I'm lying, or mad, or both! I'll PM you :)

What's making me reluctant to go for the trial, is B is usually so stoic. So for him to react the way he did makes me think he must have been really uncomfortable. As I mentioned, he always went sweetly enough in the saddle that doesn't fit.

By comparison, last night I opted for a bareback ride; he was mostly forward, soft and at times nicely lifting through his back. Still struggling to get a clean change but we were half passing happily (in walk only; we're not that good ;))

Horses o_O

BlackRider

Visit site
My horse wasn't 100% with the saddle when the fitter came, I wished I"d listened to him!

I used it 3 times after (for 30 mins mainly in walk) and he needed 6 weeks off to recover!

Managed to sell it and would never touch one again.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
My horse wasn't 100% with the saddle when the fitter came, I wished I"d listened to him!

I used it 3 times after (for 30 mins mainly in walk) and he needed 6 weeks off to recover!

Was that a Smart as well? I've never been convinced about them. Interestingly there are several nearly new Smarts for sale on FB at the moment. One of the Solution agents posted that there was no way they were worth anywhere near their purchase price as they wouldn't have the warranty etc etc that paying the extra and getting a brand new one would have.

My question if I was the company would be why are so many people spending £2,500 or more on a saddle system which they are then chucking away weeks later.

(To clarify I have been using the original models for 12 years or so, without issue).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so glad we got ours before they changed the model - and bought a dressage saddle at a reduced price because it was the old style. I had borrowed a friend's treeless to try before that, it had a firm pommel and the Draft mare really didn't like it. She told me so immediately.

You would think that the company would take notice of all the people who have changed their minds about a very expensive saddle.

Red-1

Visit site
I am so glad we got ours before they changed the model - and bought a dressage saddle at a reduced price because it was the old style. I had borrowed a friend's treeless to try before that, it had a firm pommel and the Draft mare really didn't like it. She told me so immediately.

You would think that the company would take notice of all the people who have changed their minds about a very expensive saddle.

I wondered about this too as my hroses liked the old design, like the Ansurs were before Solution bought the right to make them in the UK (or whatever legal deal was done). Initially Solution sold the same desigh as those Ansurs, (Classic/Freestyle etc). I wondered if they only had licence to stick to the same design for a few years or something?

Rather like Equitreks. I would not have one, having been to the factory intending to order but being disappointed with the quality. I could not, for the life of me, understand why other companies did not do large, rear facing, side unloading trailers. Then I found that Equitrek had copyrighted the way the horses travel, so no one else can make them.

Although, where Equitrek is concerned, I understand it won't be forever before the design is able to be built by other manufacturers.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I wondered about this too as my hroses liked the old design, like the Ansurs were before Solution bought the right to make them in the UK (or whatever legal deal was done). Initially Solution sold the same desigh as those Ansurs, (Classic/Freestyle etc). I wondered if they only had licence to stick to the same design for a few years or something?

Rather like Equitreks. I would not have one, having been to the factory intending to order but being disappointed with the quality. I could not, for the life of me, understand why other companies did not do large, rear facing, side unloading trailers. Then I found that Equitrek had copyrighted the way the horses travel, so no one else can make them.

Although, where Equitrek is concerned, I understand it won't be forever before the design is able to be built by other manufacturers.

As far as I'm aware the development of the Smart models came about as a result of customers wanting something that looked more like a traditional saddle, the same as the original GP came into being. A lot of people refused to even consider the original designs (Energist, Freestyle, Jumper and GP) because of the way they looked (disregarding the positives).

The original saddles were truly flexible in every direction, and very adjustable to both horse and rider. By making something that looked more traditional, it inevitably needs to have more structure to it, even though it is treeless. So when a horse went from its own, treed, probably uncomfortable saddle into an original Solution, the vast majority of them breathed a sigh of relief and went very sweetly from the get go. The Smarts on the other hand .... not all horses approve.

ozpoz

Visit site
Mine absolutely does approve. he's been able to move freely and change his whole way of going in a newer model. Personally, I wouldn't go back to an Energist, although I loved it when I first rode in one because I much prefer the additional rider support and comfort of the Smart saddles.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I should think that you were rather disappointed with the customer service too!;)

Red-1

Visit site
I should think that you were rather disappointed with the customer service too!;)

I queried the finish on the 2 horse boxes, and was told it was "only a horsebox, what do I expect?"

I bought a Bloomfields. More expensive, but no worries about finish, quality, or, indeed, customer service (apart from the waiting list, that has now been reduced!).

Solution, I found the customer service was OK. They were just not the "solution" for me!

cundlegreen

Visit site
A FB friend of
I own the dressage version of his jump saddle, it's the one that doesn't fit! Sadly I'm finding most dressage saddles have a curved tree - B has quite a flat back but has a wither. Curved trees don't suit him at all.

No reason for treeless, specifically - Solution Saddles kept coming up in threads of "what saddle would you recommend..." on FB, so I just decided to give it a go as so many rave reviews!

I have looked at WOW - but reviews seem to be so hit and miss. They are on the list to try eventually.

We tried the Dressage Pro model. I didn't specifically ask for this one, though. Do you think it would be worth trying the native? Honestly, he went so badly I felt almost ashamed. The level I told her we train at vs what she saw... I did say to her, you probably think I'm lying, or mad, or both! I'll PM you :)

What's making me reluctant to go for the trial, is B is usually so stoic. So for him to react the way he did makes me think he must have been really uncomfortable. As I mentioned, he always went sweetly enough in the saddle that doesn't fit.

By comparison, last night I opted for a bareback ride; he was mostly forward, soft and at times nicely lifting through his back. Still struggling to get a clean change but we were half passing happily (in walk only; we're not that good ;))

Horses o_O
A FB friend of mine is into Ghost saddles. She has three, and thoroughly recommends them. I found a second hand Freedom Holistic, which looks just like a conventional saddle, as I show horses and event, and nobody knows it isn't a treed unless I tell them. I start all my horses in it, or my Barefoot, and they all go very well in them. You can really feel the ribcage lifting, and I've never had a rub, or pressure mark.

BlackRider

Visit site
Was that a Smart as well? I've never been convinced about them. Interestingly there are several nearly new Smarts for sale on FB at the moment. One of the Solution agents posted that there was no way they were worth anywhere near their purchase price as they wouldn't have the warranty etc etc that paying the extra and getting a brand new one would have.

My question if I was the company would be why are so many people spending £2,500 or more on a saddle system which they are then chucking away weeks later.

(To clarify I have been using the original models for 12 years or so, without issue).
Yes - it was the Smart native, my horse had been going happily in a barefoot so was used to a treeless.

MummyEms

Visit site

Could you tell me more please?