Had a job interview at Your Horse magazine....

Echo24

Visit site
...But I didn't get the job
frown.gif

It was for a staff writer position and I think they gave the job to someone who had more horsey experience then me, (I've only been riding for about two years and I don't have my own horse). But for anyone who loves horses but doesn't fancy working in a yard, maybe you should think about working on a horsey mag! Some of the things being a staff writer involves include going to photo shoots, interviewing top riders and get hints and tips from them, and also thinking of new ideas for magazine. You don't necessarily need a magazine or journalism qualification, just an understanding of horses and being able to write well
smile.gif

LouHardwick

Visit site
I have worked for an equine magazine and it was amazing to start with. But the end for me came when i realised I was spending all my time working/ writing /attending things for other peoples horses, and not seeing or doing much with my own.

So got out of the equine industry and the horse/work/ life balance is firmly back in the right place! Plus i earn nearly 4 x more out of that equine industry too!!

Echo24

Visit site
What do you do as your job? I think if I worked on a mag it would be really hard to look after your own horse as the hours can be long! I am quite tempted to get myself a job that pays well so I have enough to have a horse of my own!

ponyperson3317

Visit site
I work on an equestrian trade publication and really like it. I'm staff writer but I get to do all sorts from writing news stories to researching and writing entire articles.
I have 18 years of horse knowledge but no horse at present so i can devote my time to my job.
Equestrian magazines are a good way to get into the industry as they are often smaller and offer more opportunities.
Have you tried doing some work experience for a magazne? Many offer the chance.

LouHardwick

Visit site
what was my job at the mag or what do i do know?

I was a advertising manager and looked after the circulation and distribution. and wrote features blah blah

Now I am a project director for an events company. I run events for FTSE listed Finance directors. And even though i work long hours the balance and money is much more in my favour

good luck

Archie07

Visit site
I work for a big car magazine and I'm hoping to put my experience working on this mag and find a job working for a horsey mag someday!