had a massive complaint by the YM

pixie

Visit site
Yes, horses hay needs can vary considerably.
My 13hh welshy gets 4.5kg in an elimanet and will eat most of it by the morning.
Older 16hh tb livery eats no more than 4kg each night and always has loads left in her nets
young 16hh connie livery gets a massive 9kg haynet and will demolish the majority of it.

amandap

Visit site
001D6AE0-5691-429D-9452-9DB8ABAADD29_zpsospcbqkh.jpg

For those who are interested, this is what an 8kg net looks like when loaded on a wheelbarrow. The wheelbarrow is a 110 litre not the standard 95 litre and as a point of reference the hay has come from that 4ft bale behind
Great photo!

susi

Visit site
think its mostly common sence isnt it. like the OP said if theres a lot of hay left feed less if theres none left feed more. when i had more than 1 horse i fed each a different amount. my mare is gleaming and in perfect condition. I will admit the goats look a bit scruffy but they are changing to summer coats so a little patchy. this obviously happens annualy so its a deal ith it thing.

Its like living out 24/7. im not anti horses doing that at all, some horses its sooo good for them for medical happiness or bordom reasons.

i think in my mares perfect world she could go out for 2 hours come in them go out again for a couple of hours in the afternoon.
shes not an outdoors type of horse. no idea why. i literally have to drag her back to the field coming in shes trying to get in as fast as she can without being nughty bless her. cant wait to find a yard and get her away shes breking my heart shes so unhapy

Fides

Visit site
think its mostly common sence isnt it. like the OP said if theres a lot of hay left feed less if theres none left feed more.

I don't think the OP did say this - the thread is about the YO claiming the horse wasn't being fed enough.

My view is if that the horse is perceieved by others as being stood for too long without hay and water, what harm would it do to put more down. Or even use a trickle net to slow down the eating of the amount she does feed. OP still hasn't got back to us with how much the hay actually weighs...

lizbet

Visit site
Can you ever really relax there.Are you worried about your horses when you are not there. ? Lifes to short.