Had an accident - what to do next

D66

Visit site
forget it ever happened ,every time you ride out take him up to various gates, tap the top of them lean over as if opening them make a fuss of him and praise him so he does not fear them . On returning to the yard open a gate go through praise and titbit him , ditto to come back , his and your confidence will soon return.

This ^^^ ....and also practise reversing through gates! On one of our hacks we have a narrow gate opens into a field and when opened it swings back 180 degrees, the only way to shut it is to reverse through it onto the road :eek::(

Last edited:

HashRouge

Visit site
Maybe practice on a gate that doesn't have an electric fence nearby (or can you turn this one off temporarily?). Then you won't have that to worry about at least.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I'm pretty lucky, I taught my boy to push a gate on command. I do the latch then he pushes it open with his chest, I then hold it with my arm til we're through. Very handy since I've had eldest on lead rein!

My youngster has been long reined and we have to open a gate every time we go out on the forest (nearly every time!). She's very patient and learnt to wait, stand and turn.

However, every so often Benji forgets manners and tries to take my leg off on a gatepost. Happens once/twice a year, needless to say we practise a few times that day!!!!