Had enough, why did I think I could do, going to sell

rachyhorsiehib

Visit site
Well after the year if getting my confidence back on jolly he's had a bit of an 'indiscretion' an dumped my friend in a most spectacular way, fracturing her pelvis in 2 places. I feel terrible for my friend, terrible for jolly who I have booked in with a reputable dealer for early jan, and terrible for myself and my inability to pick myself a suitable pony. He's such a good boy 95% of the time, but when he's naughty oh boy is he out of the blue naughty, and it needs someone who can just go "HEY!!! Pack it in!!" which just isn't me. I can do a buck, bit of a rear, bit strong.... But rodeo an bolting just isn't for me. He's done it twice in 14 months and I can understand, as he was stood in his stable 3 weeks solid etc and is letting off steam, but that much steam is over my head nowadays, I just don't bounce these days.

I'm so sad.... He's such a gent usually and I live him so much, but he needs a more appropriate home, prob a competitive one to keep his brain busy.
What a horrid decision it gas been that I feel I've been making for the last year since he threw me off. But we'd come so far since then. *sighs*....

Bye bye boy. Love you. :0(

Sorry for rambling....
Stuck in bed completely lurgied up and feeling thoroughly sorry for myself..

Xxxxx

akashapachamama

Visit site
Well done you.
I was in a very similar position as you with one of my horses who wasnt right from the start. After a year I realised enough was enough. Its been a month since he's gone to a lovely new home and I have no regrets.
I know its hard but im sure you made the right decision and you will both go on to new and exciting things.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'm sorry you've had such a difficult decicon to make. I hope your friend is recovering ok.
TBH, it sounds more like a case of 'right horse, wrong livery yard'. No turnout of 3 weeks makes many horses go a bit loopy. A yard with decent TO or grass livery could be just what he needs.
No criticism of you - I know its not easy to find turn out in some areas.

mollichop

Visit site
Could it be he was just letting off steam after 3 weeks in his box? Was he lunged, loose schooled or turned out first?

Not making excuses for bad behaviour but 3 weeks is a long time and I would make allowances if it were my horse in that situation. also it would be me getting on first, not a friend. Sorry if that sounds insensitive, just trying to see another side maybe.

Hope your friend recovers soon :)

rachyhorsiehib

Visit site
Thanks akasha! He goes in jan so just been lungeing him, which won't help his boredom will it...

LaurenM - yeah he'll need reschooling first as he's playing up on lunge so not wanting to get back on myself... Is viscous circle! Wish could go back to summer of shows and xc when he was going do' beautifully...

rachyhorsiehib

Visit site
Mollichop an horse rider- he'd had his first episode of laminitis which was why be wasn't allowed out. I'd started riding him again and building him up, I'd ridden him 10 times before my friend got on, slowly going through walk an trot an just got to canter. She rode him next day, he'd been hacked in the day by YM an been an angel, then when my friend rode he was fine till canter and just got excited an went loopy. I agree is rare cases but I've just lost my confidence and faith in him. I spend too much money on this game to not enjoy it because I'm scared he's going to go crackers.... And he'll know I'm scared won't he..

Persephone

Visit site
That's a very brave decision.

Sounds like it will be best all round. Trouble is, I find, you can change everything in your power to reduce the chances of your horse behaving like this, but it's always going to be in the back of your mind, every time you get on him.

rachyhorsiehib

Visit site
That's the thing Persephone, now I know it's rare but not a 1 off I'm always going to worry an not get the full enjoyment. My gorg boy needs a confident person... As I say, there's naughty (which I can cope with) and there's a bit loopy (which I can't cope with)... Rare and justified or not, it's too much for lil' me. :0(

Persephone

Visit site
Well, sometimes the ones we love really don't help us :(

He is going to a repuatable seller, with full background. I'm sure he will find a great home.

Do you have anything else to ride just to keep you in the saddle?

Luci07

Visit site
oh bad luck. Even my well behaved mare gave me every indication she would like to go home without me on Saturday! She passaged and snorted all the way home plunging as well. I had "thought" she would be safer to hack out as I am avoiding the school with her and her arthritis.

Gray boy has been lunged fror 3 days before I get on. He is normally quite laid back and has been going out, but is just a little too inclined to see ghosts if off for that period of time!

rachyhorsiehib

Visit site
Thanks pers. My dad will let me ride his lad, and a buddy at the yard has a lovely mare she could do with help with for the short term. I don't want to tale them up on their offer till he's gone though as it just feels wrong, like if I'm riding anything surely it should be him for now. So my butt def won't be very saddle shaped by the time I get back up there as the incident was already almost 4 weeks ago!