Haffie calling Horseline...

Petalpoos

Visit site
My haffie now weighs 80kg more (using a weigh tape) than she did in the summer, so yesterday I put her grazing muzzle on when she went out in the field. Went to put it on again this morning and she ran to the back of the stable and tried to hide her head in the corner. When I put her out she just stood by the gate looking depressed. I feel soooo mean, but surely better to have a live, miserable Haffie than a laminitic/dead one?

Trying to keep weight off a horse bred to live on top of a mountain is not easy in the south of England :(

Clava

Visit site
Tell me about it, my rescue haffy who was a bag of bones in September is now nice and fat and I can't imagine how she was so poor before. Yes, better a grumpy horse than a fat and sick one, you're doing the right thing (at least she hasn't learnt to destroy them as my shetland x has!)

bugbee717

Visit site
I have been kind of luckly my haffie big ron, is down to 483 when I got him he was not even on the weigh tape, but I know the weight will start to go on. we have spring grass, as my babies are acting like muppets.

YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING

but I know how hard it is

Petalpoos

Visit site
I know, but she is companion to my other horse and I only have time to ride one. You'd think it would be easy to find someone to ride a perfectly nice po, but apparently not!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
i don't know how your fields are set out, but the best way i have ever found of keep weight of a good doer is to use the track system , run a track round the edge of a field and just leave them in it, they walk round a lot more than if you put them in a starvation paddock

vallin

Visit site
Echo what others say, and tbh I bet a soon as your gone she gets down to grazing. My horse would always look miserable with it on whilst I was there, but as soon as I was gone she would quite happily mooch away and munch