Haflingers at dealers yards

tcarter

Visit site
I have noticed that several dealers are now selling Haflingers.

Does any-one know where they are purchased from ie meat markets, unwanted stud animals, general markets.

Also what price the dealer would have paid.

I own a haflinger mare imported from Germany and registered as a broodmare (although never bred), hence my interest

lucemoose

Visit site
My Vet thinks they are meat markets types, they have good awful feet-and the price is unbelievably low. The lack of schooling and manners on an 8 yr old(example) is shoddy and why would anyone pay money to import that to sell?

vennessa

Visit site
They come from belgium and holland from meat markets. There is a sudden demand for them. They sell cheaply and the dealers get them for very cheap - they have to when you consider they are importing them.
I know a dealer that picks up a big horsebox full each time.
They need a lot of work and have been bred for one purpose - meat. Many are not of good type and have had no education.

carys220

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They come from belgium and holland from meat markets. There is a sudden demand for them. They sell cheaply and the dealers get them for very cheap - they have to when you consider they are importing them.
They need a lot of work and have been bred for one purpose - meat. Many are not of good type and have had no education.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
That is SOOO not true!!!!! My Merel was not bred for meat! The breeder sold her to a dealer a s a three year old as most people in holland buy and sell through dealers. Yes she came over here in a big wagon full but only after the lady we bought her off had been over to holland to choose her! There is demand for these ponies in the UK at the moment and not many breeders and the english bred ones are lightweight and spindly!!!
mad.gif
grin.gif

JM07

Visit site
straight from the Dutch/Belgian Meat Markets...

they are total crap..

i know someone who goes over just for them as they are the "in-thing"...

buys up a waggon load and off loads them on the gullible...

carys220

Visit site
not sure if you read my post above but my Haffie came from Holland, the breeder DID NOT sell her for meat and she was most certainly not bred for meat, her father was the dutch and belgian national champion!!!! Grrrr!!!

JM07

Visit site
yes i did read your post and good for you..

but did you see your horse in Holland before you bought it???

carys220

Visit site
NO BUT IF YOU HAD READ THE POST YOU WOULD KNOW THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD!!!!!! And we've been in contact with breeder.

And another thing, if the pony is registered, which most of the ones in this country are then they have not come off the hills where they are bred for meat.....there are usually at least 5 stallions running with the mares so it would be impossible to register the foals!!

Ladyfresha1

Visit site
Maybe it is true for some but not all? Please don't be offended by these posts. If you know that your horse was not bred for burgers that's fine, no one was trying to say ALL Haffies are cheap and crappy. I have seen more of them at the sales now though. They are a beautiful breed. Please don't get upset. Your mare is obviously a well bred, quality horse. No one means to offend.

carys220

Visit site
No, all I'm saying is that the ones bred for meat, are made into meat, the ones that come into this country are not! I think JM07 was trying to say that they are all cheap and crappy!

JM07

Visit site
ok, ok, no need to shout.. keep your hair on...

as for registering foals...the new forest ponies are registered..as are the welsh mountain ponies...and guess what...they go for meat!!!!

IMO they are just another "fad" just the same as coloureds/appys/fjords

carys220

Visit site
.......it was my understanding that only 1 stallion was out on the New Forest and that was how they were able to register the foals....I'm not saying registered horses don't go for meat, I'm saying that haflingers bred for meat CANNOT be registered!

Am I speaking Dutch or something?
smirk.gif

jewel

Visit site
i'm sorry but i agree with the rest, most of the haflingers that are bought to the uk are meat horses

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
.......it was my understanding that only 1 stallion was out on the New Forest and that was how they were able to register the foals....I'm not saying registered horses don't go for meat, I'm saying that haflingers bred for meat CANNOT be registered!

Am I speaking Dutch or something?
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
PMSL!!!!!!!

1 stallion out on the forest??!!!!!!!!???????

now you are having a laugh, yes???

there were 30 stallions on the forest last year.....

so yes, you may very well be speaking Dutch as you got the above wrong eh..

smirk.gif
smirk.gif

carys220

Visit site
I must be speaking a completely different language then? Or can no-one see my posts? I'm not making it up you know!

Haflingers have been imported into the UK since the 60s!

carys220

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

PMSL!!!!!!!

1 stallion out on the forest??!!!!!!!!???????

now you are having a laugh, yes???

there were 30 stallions on the forest last year.....

so yes, you may very well be speaking Dutch as you got the above wrong eh..

smirk.gif
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So how can they register the foals if they don't know who the sire is?

JM07

Visit site
they know the Sire AND Dam of EVERY foal born on the forest.....

because its managed properly.....

JM07

Visit site
before this turns into somesort of "he said, she said"...

i DIDN'T say YOUR Haffy was crap....it may well be the best thing since sliced bread..

BUT....The MAJORITY that come over..and going back to the OP's original ask about Haffy's and Dealers recently..are market ponies that are bred for meat.

carys220

Visit site
OK, so in Holland it is not that well managed, mostly the colts are taken for meat. None of the horses bred for meat can be registered as the owners do not know who the sire is, and usually who the dam is as they are left for 2 years before being taken away.

So, 100% of the Haflingers imported into this country are registered with the KVTH, implying that they were not bred for meat and were bred by proper breeders.....please tell me you can understand what I'm saying...

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
My german friend laughed when she saw a haffy at the livery yard I was at in Oxfordshire. She wanted to know why a mad English person would want to buy a horse intended for sausage meat. The ones I have seen tend to be unruly and bossy apart from one stallion that I rode sidesaddle so I guess it is down to the standard of the handler as to their manners.

carys220

Visit site
I had 2 registered section A's by the same Stallion, one was the most sweetest pony you have ever met, the other nearly broke my arm, my leg, she did break my finger....

JM07

Visit site
yes, carysDB I understand....

i also KNOW that the ones the guy brings over are also papered AND branded..i also know where he gets them from...and most interestingly..what he PAYS for them..

carys220

Visit site
As someone said on another thread, a horse is worth what someone is willing to pay....and business is about making a profit.
grin.gif
I'm going out now but I am glad you understood what I was trying to say.

FYI, the reason my Haflinger came from a dealer was because it is common practise in Holland to buy and sell this way. It saves a lot of time and money for both buyers and sellers.

bbcrystal

Visit site
I bought a haflinger from a dealer in Dec 2006. I had researched the breed (which has been protected beyond any other). I could trace my mare's history back 8 generations. They do have common traits, can be bargy but most (obviously there are exceptions) are good honest hard working horses. I contacted the last known registered owner and found out that she had bought her as a two year old from the breeder and sold her because she didn't grow big enough. She went to someone who wanted a foal from her but he sold her on and that is when she was shipped to Britain. She was pregnant when I got her and has since had a lovely coloured foal.
I have a friend who also has a haflinger and she too has a history of 5 generations and is a good honest mare.

vennessa

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
That is SOOO not true!!!!! My Merel was not bred for meat! The breeder sold her to a dealer a s a three year old as most people in holland buy and sell through dealers. Yes she came over here in a big wagon full but only after the lady we bought her off had been over to holland to choose her! There is demand for these ponies in the UK at the moment and not many breeders and the english bred ones are lightweight and spindly!!!
mad.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry if i have caused upset. Yours may be a genuine one. I do know dealers do get the ones bred for meat. People ask me to see the dealers for them, but i don't.
I do know one dealer well who does it that is why i know. If you saw the quality you would see.
It is not much different to here. We have a Welsh mountain pony. One which was going for meat. We bought him 19 years ago. Then there are the Welsh A's bred in studs.
Your Haflinger came from a breeder but the majority about at present are meat horses. A neighbour up the road drive a Haflinger which was stud bred. They have had it years. They seem to be a fad of the moment unfortunately. A bit like young lads around here a while ago who all had to have a Staffie.
There is always exceptions. Glad to hear yours was not a meat one. They often reapear at auction. They are strong horses not have had an education.

Daphnelia

Visit site
I bought a haflinger from a local stud recommended by word of mouth. Bloody spawn of satan it was. Little sh1t bit, kicked, barged, head butted, and actually drove a person into the arena sand to trample them. She had EXCEPTIONAL blood lines, and I met her dam and sire. She never had her ears forward, and just hated people. When I let the stud know how she was behaving, they admitted that haffies in general require very strong handling... I didnt want a horse I had to thrash to stop it hurting me, so countless suppliments, vets, and instructors later, we got rid of it. I don't know anybody with a haffy that doesn't have a similar story. This is her ---->

2675382222_e778ac1809.jpg