Haflingers :)

Northern

Visit site
Hello all!

I have done a search, but there aren't any recent threads :)
I've always wanted a Haflinger, did a lot of research on them a few years ago but the timing wasn't quite right and they are quite rare here.
I might be going to look at a nice mare that has popped up here (very green), bit excited! :) She'd eventually be used for eventing and general fun, as a contrast to my thoroughbred!

So does anyone here own a Haflinger? What are they like? Good, bad? Terrible? Stay away?

I have personally ridden one in Europe, love her so hopefully this one is similar :)

Ani2013

Visit site
Hi. Ive got a lovely haffie who is my horse of a lifetime. They are versatile little horses who can turn their hooves to many things. They are also very clever which can be a blessing and a curse as things good and bad are picked up quickly! They have a reputation for being a bit bargy but I have not found a problem as long as they are given firm, fair,consistent handling. So far my lovely girl has taken me up to affiliated elementary dressage and we will be having a go at medium next year, In her previous home she evented and was apparently as brave as a lion. So I would say go and have a look!!

Sauerkraut

Visit site
My first pony was a Haflinger and I have grown up with many in our riding schools as I am originally from Germany. The Haflinger is one of our only native ponies and therefore used a lot with kids. I would consider them more on the Cobby/heavy type side and can’t really see them as Eventers but then you can have some really nice lean and sporty ones if they are crossed with some TB etc.
I have now got a welsh sec D and they are definitively more “fiery” than the Haflingers I’ve met LOL

Northern

Visit site
Thanks all! Interesting that they aren't regarded as eventer types, there are a few out eventing successfully (winning) here. Obviously if I wanted a serious high level eventer I would find a purpose bred WB. The Australian Haflinger breeders are trying to produce taller, lighter types which this mare is definitely an example of. They are definitely a very niche breed here, but then again so are Welsh Section Ds (same/higher price tag for a decent ridden one!).
I've organised to go and meet her next weekend, I'll try to remember to write an update :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've met a few in riding schools I have worked in. Without exception they were little sods. Lots and lots of work just about kept a lid on them, but there wasn't one I would have trusted or wanted for myself. I might have a slightly biased view as they all ended up in riding schools as they weren't working out in private homes, but I genuinely wouldn't have one for free!

scruffyponies

Visit site
The only horse I ever had which was truly dangerous was a Haflinger. Bolted with a carriage and was only stopped after a mile or so by the barbed wire fence it jumped.

Not as athletic or fiery as a Welsh D, and lacking the Welsh's fundamental good sense.

SEL

Visit site
I used to ride for a lady who bred them. They do need to be reminded of their manners to stop being brats. I was surprised at how energetic some of the bucking displays could be too.

They were definitely better in a lot of work.

Miss Piggy

New User
Visit site
We've got one who is a horse of a lifetime! mostly for driving trials (driven eventing) but has done RC, BD, SJ, Hunter trials, hacking, and done well in all of these (at amateur levels) also pulls us along in the snow in winter! yes he's opinionated and strong and needs both his brain and body to be kept active to stay out of mischief, but he's also brave as a lion and tries his little heart out. love him millions. He's got a dash of arab in him (edelbluthaflinger) so that may have helped his 'sportiness'

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
I had one for a short period of time and he just wasn’t for me so found him a new home. Agree with what others have said re bargyness etc. I’d never have another one myself but it would be pretty boring if we all liked the same thing! Some people probably hate Highlands, obviously they’re crazy 😝

cbmcts

Visit site
I bought one as a confidence giver after being terrified by my Welsh Cob.

There is no denying that he was opinatated and very stubborn on occasion but my god, he was as safe as houses.

Scarily intelligent (often used against humans though), surprisingly athletic and forward going but with brakes, turned his hoof to everything from hunting to driving on busy roads, he really did give me confidence.

Ok, so he probably wouldn't be where you left him at any given time - he could open, untie or demolish anything but even on the wander he wouldn't get into trouble and he came to call :) Absolutely rock solid in traffic and hacking, nothing phased him including passing a circus with big cats caged by the road and the AR protesters who helpfully waved their placards in his face. A driving pony who knew the highway code, moved off on green lights, stopped on red, wouldn't move out of a junction if there was a car coming but went if they flashed their lights.

He did have a buck - the reason he was expelled from the riding school. He did have to go first or second in a ride or there would be sneak undertaking manoeuvres and attempts to sink teeth into bums. If he thought he was treated unfairly he would rub legs on fences, buck and drop a shoulder and on the ground deliberately stand on feet. The rest of the time he was very polite. I forgave all that because he was so much fun - stick with him, no harm was going to come to you (well, he wasn't stupid enough to hurt himself was he?) and enjoy the adventure...

kinnygirl1

Visit site
I fence judged at a BE event recently and saw a lovely lean fit haffie go round the 90 no problem at all... So don't rule them out as eventers!

Northern

Visit site
This is what I am hopeful for with this girl. Lots of work to go of course, but I'm happy to put the work in if the temperament fits! I have heard that they have a stubborn streak, but so do I :p Thanks all!

Mule

Visit site
I bought one as a confidence giver after being terrified by my Welsh Cob.

There is no denying that he was opinatated and very stubborn on occasion but my god, he was as safe as houses.

Scarily intelligent (often used against humans though), surprisingly athletic and forward going but with brakes, turned his hoof to everything from hunting to driving on busy roads, he really did give me confidence.

Ok, so he probably wouldn't be where you left him at any given time - he could open, untie or demolish anything but even on the wander he wouldn't get into trouble and he came to call :) Absolutely rock solid in traffic and hacking, nothing phased him including passing a circus with big cats caged by the road and the AR protesters who helpfully waved their placards in his face. A driving pony who knew the highway code, moved off on green lights, stopped on red, wouldn't move out of a junction if there was a car coming but went if they flashed their lights.

He did have a buck - the reason he was expelled from the riding school. He did have to go first or second in a ride or there would be sneak undertaking manoeuvres and attempts to sink teeth into bums. If he thought he was treated unfairly he would rub legs on fences, buck and drop a shoulder and on the ground deliberately stand on feet. The rest of the time he was very polite. I forgave all that because he was so much fun - stick with him, no harm was going to come to you (well, he wasn't stupid enough to hurt himself was he?) and enjoy the adventure...
He sounds like a real character 😀

Mule

Visit site
This is what I am hopeful for with this girl. Lots of work to go of course, but I'm happy to put the work in if the temperament fits! I have heard that they have a stubborn streak, but so do I :p Thanks all!
I find the stubborn ones amusing and I'm very very patient, so I'm well able to out stubborn them 😉

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I knew 2 one was an absolute arse and was awful to ride just wouldn't move and would dump you if you used too much force, the other belonged to a 14 year old girl that went like a dream and she did mainly dressage with him, he was a finer more sporty type and looked amazing under saddle.

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
They are not all bargy and opinionated though! I have a wonderful Haffie mare who is not like that in the slightest. She is however very sensitive and took a long long time to develop her trust in me. I trained her (with help) up to Elementary Dressage, she was always extremely willing to learn and took on new things very easily. She is now retired from competition and we enjoy amazing hacks out, she is a pony in million!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I love them but then I like proper natives and they tend to come with ponytude which you either like or not. I had a thread about them about 18 months ago and most people seemed against. I couldn’t find one right for me at the time but I’m the past I’ve seen the sportier types with loads of scope, competing in dressage and at a good level of endurance.

Northern

Visit site
Update :)
Went to see the little miss today, wasn't disappointed! She's had somewhat of a rough upbringing apparently, a little spooky but nothing nasty in her. Super fun to ride! Now my bank account and I need to have a firm discussion about another chestnut mare...

millikins

Visit site
There was one in PC when daughter was in it, she was a lovely pony, wouldn't win a speed class but safe and very willing but she's the only one I've come across who wasn't bargy, rude, stubborn and usually bucked. I think I read on here once that most in this country come from stock bred for the horsemeat industry so no attempt to breed for temperament or scope.

holeymoley

Visit site
I knew one about 10 years ago, it was spoiled and was bought for a young girl who wasn’t confident enough for him. He became a total ass to the point he was dangerous but I truly believe he was a talented wee chap that needed a ‘job’ to do. He had been known to buck and rear, barge, walk up people’s heels, drag etc etc. I rode him to keep him ticking over and found him actually quite nice, he never tried anything bad with me, I asked him lots of questions though to keep his mind on the ball. I think the poor soul ended up going to a dealers. Not sure what happened to him after that, there was brief wind that he was at a trekking centre but I’m not sure.

EventingMum

Visit site
We recently lost one who was a riding school pony, she'd had a bad start with a novice owner who caused her a few issues but with time we worked through them and managed her sweet itch. When young she was quite flighty but with experienced settled down. She was a favourite on the yard and was very versatile with a great work ethic. The other day I saw another for sale and was seriously tempted but it was with a dealer with a dodgy reputation so I didn't pursue it.

fathorselover

Visit site
I used to have one, she was a bit bargy at times but in general a fun, safe pony who gave me back my confidence after a nightmare TB. Did a bit of everything with her and she was always willing if a bit slow, I took her hunting where I spent the whole time being overtaken in the field, she would just worm her way back up to the front when we caught up. Used to remove her bridle if you dared just leave it on, quite characterful but kind. Did the most ridiculous protest bucks.

Nasicus

Visit site
Worth noting that they seem to be quite prone to sweetitch, I know a lot of Haffys that have it, and my Haffy x Cob has it too.
Lovely breed though, very clever (for better or for worse haha)

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I love them but then I like proper natives and they tend to come with ponytude which you either like or not. I had a thread about them about 18 months ago and most people seemed against. I couldn’t find one right for me at the time but I’m the past I’ve seen the sportier types with loads of scope, competing in dressage and at a good level of endurance.

I love ‘ponytude’😀 why ride a horse?

Northern

Visit site
Worth noting that they seem to be quite prone to sweetitch, I know a lot of Haffys that have it, and my Haffy x Cob has it too.
Lovely breed though, very clever (for better or for worse haha)

Yes this girl does have itch, as do most Haflingers bred here (small gene pool doesn't help). She was sent to the tropics initially and has come back down south for that reason. Doesn't bother me, I live in temperate areas where itch is pretty much nonexistent! Thanks :)

Anna*

Visit site
I think that haflingers get a bad reputation through no fault of their own. Because they look like a ‘Barbie’ pony, they often get bought for children who aren’t always able to manage them and end up being passed around. The haflingers I know are all ridden by adults who say they would always choose a haffy over another breed any day of the week. They are incredibly bright and will take charge of any situation if they realise you aren’t! I absolutely adore my haffy mare.

I know she wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but to me she is perfect. What an exciting time for you, OP.

There is also a brilliant FB group - search Haffy Addicts.