Hairline radial fracture

jj4y

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with a hairline radial fracture? My lad has one after being kicked a fortnight ago. He's been cross tied since and is being re-xrayed in a couple of weeks time. I know the next few weeks will be critical in terms of preventing a complete fracture but I was wondering about prognosis longterm if we get him through this.

Brightbay

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with a hairline radial fracture? My lad has one after being kicked a fortnight ago. He's been cross tied since and is being re-xrayed in a couple of weeks time. I know the next few weeks will be critical in terms of preventing a complete fracture but I was wondering about prognosis longterm if we get him through this.

My friend's horse is just recovering from a tibial fracture following a kick. He was on box rest, crosstied at the vet horsepital for 3 months (accident was in October), athough I think his was a quite complicated fracture and it's usually more like 6 weeks. He is now out of horsepital, although still on box rest with walking in hand. Due to come home for small paddock rest shortly.

Her username on here is Lucyad - if you search you should find her threads, you could maybe send her a PM and she can give you lots of info about recovery etc.

Hope all is well with your horse and they're back to full fitness quickly :)

Lucyad

Visit site
Hi, hope you got the PM - thought I would post on here too to bump for you. My horse had a fractured tibia - spiralled down nearly right through to a break, but thankfully stayed stable while cross tied. We had a few problems with infections and bit of bone, hence the long time cross tied (accident was on 28th September and he got discharged from horsepital on 10th December), but he is now getting home from his rehab yard where he has been on box rest and hand walked tomorrow :). I have been given a good prognosis for him to get back to how he was before - 2 weeks of small paddock rest, then xrays before being ridden again.

Best of luck with your horse.

leflynn

Visit site
My boy fractured his upper radius not once but twice from a kick injury. He wasn't cross tied as he was likely to do more damage but he was 'calmed' using valerian and zylkene both times. Lots of box rest and we used ultrasound treatment too, good luck

Lucyad

Visit site
Hi, hope you got the PM - thought I would post on here too to bump for you. My horse had a fractured tibia - spiralled down nearly right through to a break, but thankfully stayed stable while cross tied. We had a few problems with infections and bit of bone, hence the long time cross tied (accident was on 28th September and he got discharged from horsepital on 10th December), but he is now getting home from his rehab yard where he has been on box rest and hand walked tomorrow :). I have been given a good prognosis for him to get back to how he was before - 2 weeks of small paddock rest, then xrays before being ridden again.

Best of luck with your horse.

Sorry over optimistic typo there - 2 months of small paddock rest (will handwalk as well), before re-xray and hopefully sign off for ridden work! So early march.

jj4y

Visit site
Thanks both...feeling a bit more optimistic now! Thankfully he's being very sensible cross tied at the moment, though I'm sure that will probably change at some point!

Louby

Visit site
My boy had a front leg fracture of the Radius from a kick. He was cross tied for 12 weeks, heavily bandaged and xrayed frequently to see the progress, then about a months further box rest with in hand walking, not easy! Then turnout in a stable sized make shift area, didnt work as he just bucked and bucked, so turned out in a smaller paddock. It was so scary as I was told his leg could shatter if he didnt behave but I was riding again before I knew it and it was all a distant nightmare.
My boy was fine and can do everything he did before. PM me if you want any support/advice :)