Hairy cob - clip now?

Fruitcake

Visit site
I acquired a little cob in Jan. I've never had a hairy cob before.

He came to me with a trace clip, seemed to lose lots of winter coat but still seems quite hairy compared to my others. He's not really in any work but I don't want him to feel uncomfortable.

Is clipping all year around something people often do with such hairy ponies? (He's only 4 so I'm not concerned about Cushings etc)

KJ_0912

Visit site
I personally wouldn’t clip any horse in summer unless they had Cushings or are in very heavy work. Ive got a 14hh pony (not cob, but native type) who keeps a relatively thick coat in summer compared to my 15.3hh and doesn’t have a problem with it, and he’s black! I have seen some people clip them but considering he’s not in much work he should be fine. So long as he’s not sweating from just standing in the field of course.

Batgirl

Visit site
I've just clipped my Clydesdale, be was hot and uncomfortable and in a fairly good amount of work. To me it's about the horse target than the breed. I had a 17'2 Warmblood that I clipped year round as he was a 'hot' horse. Had a 14'2 Welsh that didn't need it.

holeymoley

Visit site
For me personally it depends on the horse. I wouldn’t fully clip it if it was then going to be out in the rain with no shelter. But then depends how quick it grows the hair back. No point clipping out if you need to rug. But then again if it’s standing sweating doing nothing then yes I’d clip.

Fruitcake

Visit site
Thanks.

He does seem hot in the field on sunny days. He lives out but has a field shelter. He’s not doing much work but I’ve been doing a bit of long reining and taking him for walks in hand so don’t want him to be uncomfortable doing that either.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It’s fine to clip him if he’s feeling the heat. Is he grey or coloured? They can get sunburnt over their top line, so he would need a fly rug at least to protect his pink bits if he is and you clip him out. I have to do that with both of my coloureds, but overall they are much more comfortable fully clipped.

Though you could do a trace or chaser clip instead of a full clip and that would negate the need for a rug.

Fruitcake

Visit site
It’s fine to clip him if he’s feeling the heat. Is he grey or coloured? They can get sunburnt over their top line, so he would need a fly rug at least to protect his pink bits if he is and you clip him out. I have to do that with both of my coloureds, but overall they are much more comfortable fully clipped.

Though you could do a trace or chaser clip instead of a full clip and that would negate the need for a rug.
Thanks. He's black, so shouldn't be a sunburn concern. I think I might just go for it and clip him then. ?

Wizpop

Visit site
I had a cob that I used to clip all year round as he was more comfortable that way. Having said that, he always wore a fly rug in summer ( pink skinned) as the rays can come 5hrough even in a cloudy day, and had one with a waterproof panel for cooler days.
Also, just to add that they obviously don’t have the waterproof factor the same when clipped and warm, wet weather is ideal for rainscald, so agin , i’d Suggest a fly rug or one with a waterproof panel.