Hairy Cushings Pony

Dawng

Visit site
Hi, does anyone clip their cushings ponies, mine has got an extremely long coat this year, it's the first year although she was tested positive for cushings 7 years ago. She is shedding the undercoat but the top coat is so long, I was just wondering what anyone else does. She is kept out all year but has field shelters. Thanks

Mule

Visit site
I don't clip mine. I just leave her unrugged during the winter. She sheds her coat normally during the summer. If she was itchy or showing signs of being too hot, I would clip.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i used to clip my cushings horse whenever she needed it and didnt worry if it was the wrong time of year, her comfort was more important IMO. i used to do a high trace clip so she had hair on top of her back to protect her from rain or sunshine...

Mule

Visit site
i used to clip my cushings horse whenever she needed it and didnt worry if it was the wrong time of year, her comfort was more important IMO. i used to do a high trace clip so she had hair on top of her back to protect her from rain or sunshine...
The high trace clip is a good idea.

meleeka

Visit site
My non Cushings natives have just had low chaser clips. I’m another whose more concerned with their comfort than whether their summer coat is spoilt (which it never has been).

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I clipped my two ponies with cushings a few month ago due to lice. Only a blanket so I could treat the top half of them easily and got rid of the hair lower down that is more difficult to treat. But usually I do clip them both fully when the weather is warmer. I don’t think I will this year as they have blanket clips and the rest is shedding well.

Beausmate

Visit site
Clipped our shaggy monster over the weekend. Much, much more comfortable. She is moulting like mad, but as she has so much to lose, she has been really sweating up and it's not fair on her to wait for her to lose it naturally.
She lives out and has done, unrugged all winter.

ihatework

Visit site
Even when mine was retired and living out I’d trace clip in October, let it grow back a bit through the winter and then reclip in March.

Micky

Visit site
Yup clip away, just clipped mine to take hairy face and pig hairs off, I clip all year round and control his temperature with rugs, otherwise he gets too hot sweaty..too cold,, bit like me (not the hairy bit)! Always acts like an idiot after clipping so guessing he feels much better afterwards..

dogatemysalad

Visit site
My retired hanoverian has Cushings and we clipped her this year because she was so itchy. Wish we'd done it sooner, the poor girl was so relieved. Now we hot cloth her with a lavender or Witch Hazel rinse and rug her in bad weather.

Beausmate

Visit site
For future reference it’s easier to go the way the hair lies first, then the other way. Clipping my mini was like shearing a sheep 😂

Tried that. The blades either skimmed over the top, or jammed, depending on the length and moisture content! And yes, they are very sharp blades.

I ended up just lightly passing the blades through the coat enough to take off a layer, and then came back to that area when it had dried out. A bit. Maybe. She looks ok from a distance, but a bit like her hair was cut with a knife and fork from closer up! :oops::D