Hairy hairy horses.....keeping an eye on condition?

Hippona

Visit site
OK.....so those of you with hairy beasts....how do you make sure that under the hair they are a reasonable size?

Mine are soo hairy my hand sinks into it.....I can feel ribs if I prod about, but is this an acceptable method of condition scoring:confused::D

So...hairy horses, no crests....can feel ribs if I burrow neath the immense hairyness...sound OK?

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
It is difficult to tell what's underneath the hair. Running your hands over them is helpful, as is weight taping as you can measure differences. Visual checks of how bright eyes are, hoof and coat/skin condition and fat pads give some indication of whether the diet is sufficient to meet their needs too. If he looks tucked up and cold, then again, he isn't getting enough nutrition, but if he's bright and bouncy, don't worry.
For a healthy horse, some weight loss in winter is normal in preparation for the spring grass, but I'm sure you know that anyway.

PandorasJar

Visit site
It is difficult to tell what's underneath the hair. Running your hands over them is helpful, as is weight taping as you can measure differences.

Never tell a novice to do this when it comes round to Spring :D

Had a couple of non-horsey liveries telling me their pony was severely underweight last Spring after having lost winter coat. Was bad enough battling them to get some weight off their obese pony without adding that to the mix!

I go by running hands over, checking not tucked up and general character. If their character is flat then they're not feeling great... are they cold/hungry etc.

scarymare

Visit site
????? am I missing something here?

I just go out and do a bit of prodding and poking around in rib area. My black cob is proper hairy and can still get down to ribs quite easily, same with youngsters although they do object a bit more! I also check his neck isn't getting cresty, which you can do by lifting up his mane.

I do full clip and hog every spring though.

Hippona

Visit site
????? am I missing something here?

I just go out and do a bit of prodding and poking around in rib area. My black cob is proper hairy and can still get down to ribs quite easily, same with youngsters although they do object a bit more! I also check his neck isn't getting cresty, which you can do by lifting up his mane.

I do full clip and hog every spring though.

Err...no, you're not missing anything:D

I do what you do....I was just wondering if anyone else has a better/different way....although other than general proddage I couldnt think of anything better:eek:

I'm not on livery, I have the horses at home and I don't have the benefit ( or not:rolleyes:) of anyone elses eyes/opinions....

scarymare

Visit site
Err...no, you're not missing anything:D

I do what you do....I was just wondering if anyone else has a better/different way....although other than general proddage I couldnt think of anything better:eek:

I'm not on livery, I have the horses at home and I don't have the benefit ( or not:rolleyes:) of anyone elses eyes/opinions....

Yes same here. I have found myself rather isolated on what weight is correct though and suspect this is due to having nothing to compare to. I keep meaning though to do another post on weight. I have become so paranoid due to HHO that I actually got my vet to walk round mine when he came to do a flu/tet for foal. All are fine according to him. He pointed out that the climate up here is very different from down South and that harsh winters and my regime with them mean that different weight is appropriate. He then reminded me about my lack of success using antipodean remedies to try and cure my degloved mare. Horses for courses, or climates I suppose.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Good point Scarymare.

Different areas have different climates and the quality of grazing and forage is different even between relatively close distances.

I find it difficult with the first winter with a new horse, you just know know how well they keep condition on or vice versa, so regular assessments are a good way to go.

mandwhy

Visit site
I know what you mean, my haffy has such a dense coat I can barely get under it, I can't feel ribs at the mo but I know she is not grossly overweight. I try and keep an eye on how she looks from the front as well, when I first got her her belly could be seen a fair bit beyond her already big shoulders, now not so much so she has lost a bit and is at a good weight for winter time now.

I find it escially hard to tell as I am more used to longer legged breeds that tend to show ribs more easily like TBs, TBx and various ISH types, hard getting used to a 'big boned' type! Also haffies usually seem to have this apple shaped bum because they're so muscular!

Hippona

Visit site
Yes....OH's mare has always had an apple bum....even at her leanest when she was doing team chasing she still had one......its just her physique. Although I've read that to have a gutter means you're literally 30mins away from a lami attack.....she deffo got ribs, no crest, no fat pads but still a bum-gutter...:rolleyes: