Pictures Hairy knees no more!!

ImmyS

Visit site
So Arlo is Welsh D x traditional cob, unfortunately he neither inherited the neater feathers of a D or the voluminous feathers of a trad, all year round even in the summer he has these weird straggly at least 4 inch long hairs which seem almost go up to his armpits. Please see following photo of said straggly unruly feathers -

vdjrWI9.png

I have never touched his feathers so far, as in trimmed them in any form as he was a bit tricky with his feet when he came and I didn’t feel a need as such, but as he’s much much better with his feet I’ve decided it’s time to tackle clipping as he will need a lot of tidying up for when we get out and about in a couple of months time, so now is as good of a time as any!

Arlo did come to me with a growing out full clip which I quickly learnt he was fully sedated for as a 3 year old to look better for sales advertisements etc. And for any who have followed me and Arlo know that he is a nervous chap.

Well with just a couple of short desensitisation sessions we have managed to trim the beard off and tidy up those pesky knees. His legs are definitely his sticky point but by the end he stood like a rock and let me tidy up the hack job (I need practice!) just super proud of the boy. We’ve had such a good few weeks, I’m itching to get back on board once the saddler has been in Jan.

Beardless -

iVqdHb1.jpg

mnNIKkA.jpg

No more hairy knees!

N2XsBpC.jpg

DvIywzP.jpg

Surbie

Visit site
You'll get there! I am lucky/unlucky in that mine adores being clipped. He doesn't fuss but he does try to groom me, or move into the clippers. For this reason I'm not posting pics of our latest effort as he pigging well moved when I was doing a difficult bit. He now looks like a toddler whose mum's given him an embarrassing bowl-head haircut.

Arlo looks super!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
phew, for a minute there I thought you were going to go all the way down!

F get's his knees trimmed as they get scabby but he has enough fluff above and below that it isn't really noticeable :)

Denbob

Visit site
Very nice! He is a handsome lad, but I have to agree with LW I'm a fan of a naked cob!

Denzel seems to have inherited a bit of feather from somewhere and similar to Arlo it's not enough to make it worth the hassle of keeping clean - I can't wait for it to dry up so it can all come off.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
haha yes!
3 days at home and going 'mum your horse is asleep again' and getting 'yes and what is yours doing?' in reply - still eating, can't sleep more eating to be done ;)

ImmyS

Visit site
I’m undecided whether to take everything off once weather is better? I think he would look smart completely trimmed, mane and tail pulled, it’s just having the guts to do it! His mane is going to be a big job, it is so thick! His tail is a bit more manageable

Leo Walker

Visit site
I’m undecided whether to take everything off once weather is better? I think he would look smart completely trimmed, mane and tail pulled, it’s just having the guts to do it! His mane is going to be a big job, it is so thick! His tail is a bit more manageable

When I tried Bobbie out with a pulled mane I jsut took the scissors to it and took most of the length off, then cut into it to reduce the thickness down

alainax

Visit site
Ohh this is interesting. I’m contemplating clipping my Friesians knees. I usually blend his full clip down the legs, keeping feathers but always think the hairy knees looks messy!

LadySam

Visit site
Oh yes, do it. He's such a handsome chap, he'll look so smart with everything trimmed up nicely.

ImmyS

Visit site
Hmm I think all the fluff is going to come off. Once the weathers warming up and he’s in proper work. Think he’ll look super smart!