Hairy or not and why not ?

rara007

Visit site
I don’t have time to maintain hair..! But then not sure Id be keen on monthly clipping either. I’d be unlikely to chose a very hairy one for my own.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I don't have a hairy cob and therefore can't really answer the question, but I do generally prefer to leave things as natural as possible. I can see both sides though and can't deny that a fit, hogged cob looks really smart.

This topic has really made me wonder why so many hairy cob types do seem to have skin issues which require the hair removing. Seems odd really when you think about it.

Afaik it's to do with an overproduction of keratin. Keratin is a big factor in hair growth so "hairy" horses have a high production of it. Sorry that is a rubbish explanation.

I've had three cobs that grew feather, two were kept with legs clipped and manes pulled. J had sort of clipped legs and pulled mane when I bought him and somehow I just let it grow and liked it. He gets a tiny bit of scabs on one knee occasionally, if a bit of udder cream doesn't sort it I'll clip just that area, rest of his feather covers it, and it clears up. If he had any more skin problems than that I'd clip them off fully.

I actually find him less high maintenance than clipping and keeping a mane tidy. He doesn't have one of the massive long manes though. I pretty much do nothing with any of his hair other than spray his tail with pig oil as it is ridiculously thick and it helps me brush it.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I have a heavy cob, but with silky, fine feathers. He did have them removed once, when he wasn't mine, and he looked awful. It somehow shortened his legs and made him look dumpy. Thankfully he has never had mites and has minimal issues with cobgrease round his ergots, which can be kept in check with regular warm salt water baths.

I do LOATHE beards though, and whip his off as it grows back.

Although J is left hairy his beard comes off the minute it appears as well!

HorseyTee

Visit site
Hairier the better for me.
My welshie had the most glorious, thick double mane down to the bottom of his neck. Then it got chewed off ?
My other cob doesn't have much mane but he has fluffier feathers. Both have thick tails.

smolmaus

Visit site
Who is talking s- about beards?!
hFZMCIVm.jpeg

It was very funny how her beard completely split opinions, 100% love or hate, no in-between ?

meleeka

Visit site
My cob had lovely feathers and a long mane. He was rare in that he never had any skin issues and his feathers required no maintenance. I just used to trim his beard as he was much more handsome without.

Current Freisian gets scabby pasterns so is better with them clipped, but she still has a long thick mane down to her knees. I wash it a couple of times a year when it gets a proper comb through. Otherwise I just untangle it with my fingers when needed.

Visit site
To me it depends on the type of horse. Natives are always hairy though the Welsh cob is pulled for showing to an extent. The shetlands stay hairy and i hate double manes so always train them over to the offside regardless. Some of these coloured traditional with stupidly long manes and tails annoy me as it is unnatural for them to be that long and they spend their lives with it all plaited and bundled up so it can keep growing and only gets let free for going in the show ring. Its bundled back up again before going home.

If I had a proper cob cob I would clip out and hog.

I trim beards too so you have a lovely neat jawline. Wouldn't ever trim whiskers though!

Archangel

Visit site
I always kept the feathers on my chunky horse, but due to itching, he now has his legs clipped. Have to say he looks much better without. So he has long mane, clipped legs and with a bit of careful snipping, the weight taken out of his tail.

Surbie

Visit site
Who is talking s- about beards?!
hFZMCIVm.jpeg

It was very funny how her beard completely split opinions, 100% love or hate, no in-between ?

She is so pretty. And that beard is immense!! :D

I trim beards too so you have a lovely neat jawline. Wouldn't ever trim whiskers though!

Attagirl!

I dream of mine being able to grow a mane like BBP's boy, but he has sweetitch so I should just be grateful he has kept this so far this year!

Archie 1.jpg

Archie 2.jpg

Visit site
I don't trim the beard of one of my mares actually ?? she can be a madam to catch when she feels like it. You can pet her, feed her but pull out a rope or headcollar and she is gone. So you grab her beard and she won't run away ???

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The Beast won't let me anywhere near her beard with anything sharp. ? "Not the beard!!!"

She's a bit weird though, fine to be hogged with clippers, even all round her ears no problem. But try and body clip her and it's a negotiation and some areas are a nope. The beard is a definite nope. Fortunately she only grows an Irish Draught level of feather so that is easy enough to scissor off and her beard is just a winter coat feature. I have thought about using a candle to singe it shorter like people used to. ?? She'd probably be absolutely fine with that!