Halter Rubs

LittleMantheMini

New User
Visit site
I have a mini that just seems to have very sensitive skin. I only put halters on when working or things like going on walks. Even from just lunging him for 10 minutes he gets raw spots on his lower jaw. I use a rope halter btw. He does turn and try to pull me every once in a while (he is in training) and i can see that the halter lines up with the spots when he does pull. It’s only on one side. He also got rubs from the bit from just 30 minutes ground driving. The bit does fit but i do use bit guards now and they have completely fixed the problem. It’s just the halter rubs that are bothering him and me now. i did try a nylon halter but it seemed to do the same thing.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I like rope halters but I certainly wouldn't lunge from one, That is asking for rubbed skin as the halter tightens up. I suggest that you swap to a lunge cavesson or at least to a padded headcollar

Landcruiser

Visit site
I like rope halters but I certainly wouldn't lunge from one, That is asking for rubbed skin as the halter tightens up. I suggest that you swap to a lunge cavesson or at least to a padded headcollar
Hmmm. I always lunge from one (mine don't tighten, once tied on nothing gets tighter in use). What I like is their lightness and the fact there is full release when the horse yields to it - so when I lunge, I expect slack in the rope, not pulling and resistance and leaning. However, in OP's case I agree, it sounds like a nice padded caveson or headcollar would be a much better option.

LittleMantheMini

New User
Visit site
Same. I really like the rope halter since it keeps him from pulling. He has a nylon halter that i was using before i got the rope one and it caused him to sneeze. It was pressing up against a pressure point i guess. He would lean into that halter so badly. I’m gonna look and see what i can find.

Wizpop

Visit site
I doubt rope halters are intended for lunging for exactly the reasons you are posting. Have you tried a bridle?