Halter training a foal

_jetset_

Visit site
Does anyone have any advice?

Troy is leading very well with a rope around his neck (I keep forgetting the towel and then even forgot my scarf this morning which has been acting as a substitute for the towel
laugh.gif
) but I would like to start teaching him to halter train asap as the YO wants us to move fields so we will have to contend with cars, people, other horses etc etc.

Thanks

Rebecca x

tinker512

Visit site
With all of ours, they had come to use at about 6 months so never did the towel thing, all we did was get someone to lead the mare infront, and then someone lead the foal behind..generally works very well as basically they just follow, yet getting used to walking along side you, and you can give them a 'tug' if they try getting carried away and getting up the side of the the mare! when they have mastered go and stop you can try leading foaly upfront if mare does not get too stressed out

machannah

Visit site
I agree with Tinker, pop the lead rope on and get someone confident to walk your mare and take little fella behind with you, if you can get him to walk forward on a nice contact. Try and avoid getting infront of him, and always move back to his shoulder if you feel you are getting too far in front. I had to drag mine a few times when he had a stubborn day but they soon get used to it, once they are confident walking behind Mum, slowly start to move up beside her and then you can take the step of letting him lead the way - I think they get quite a kick out of being "lead man" once they are confident with what needs to be done!

tinker512

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think they get quite a kick out of being "lead man" once they are confident with what needs to be done!

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you can never keep the buggars behind!!
tongue.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Ermmm... Troy is always in front of Hannah
blush.gif

From day one that is how we had to do it so she could see him at all times (we had a few issues if you can remember). Troy now walks out confidently to the field, but drags behind coming in because he is sulking
laugh.gif

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Slip a rope through the foalslip but don't clip it on. Lead him so that he is on your right hand side (as normal) but hold the rope under his chin with your left hand and put your right hand on the top of his tail and lead him with your left hand and guide him with your right. He will soon get the hang of it.

Any more piccies?

dwi

Visit site
I worked for a short while at a stud where they led all the foals with a plaited rope looped through the headcollar ring rather than a leadrope clipped on so that if they really pulled away they wouldn't be running round with a lead rope dangling round their legs to catch on things. I've no idea if this is a standard idea or just them though...

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
[ QUOTE ]
Can't believe you only have 4 days to go... any signs of foalie yet????

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

You know all about the waiting game don't you- bet you're glad it's all over now and you can sleep at night? Ive still got it all to come, twice
frown.gif

She's not quite ready yet. Doubt she will be on time, even if my vet said she would (but what do vets know when they can't even find a 16 week pregnancy on a scan!).

The Bunster is due two weeks later but is looking further ahead than Dream at the moment, but as you know, everything can change very quickly
shocked.gif

I will let you know as soon as there's any progress on the bambino front
smile.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I echo Chambon too! But don't forget for a couple of times you will still need another body to lead the mare alongside/behind/in front of him just for safety sake at the very least.
Also, it doesn't really matter which side you lead him from cos at this age he hasn't had long enough to get one sided but a good help is to use whichever hand you use normally, (left handed, have him on your left etc) this is because your reactions are usually quicker with that hand/arm and you need to give and take as quickly as possible. Your opposite hand which is by his bottom can be used to push him up into the headcollar; when he gets better it can rest on his withers and then not at all. If you find he has got too long to hold with both hands then you can always grab the end of his tail, he won't mind and it still gives you a 'lever'. If it was me, I would be practising in the box before trying this out in the big wide world, particularly if you have someone to hold mare still, just gives him a chance to learn what you want without outside interference/distractions and getting the first tantrums out of the way when he feels you actually holding his head because as you know, that's what they balance by and you are altering that balance, be it so very slightly, hence the need to 'give and take' with your arm. The only other thing I would say is don't let him get away with not doing as you want when you want it; it might sound stupid but that can be the start of becoming nappy, so stick at it however long it takes or wherever he might take you if he has a paddy! (can you guess I've been there?!)

It should come very quickly, he's used to the towel after all and you'll soon be leading both of them quite easily wherever you want them to go without any arguements.

_jetset_

Visit site
I lead them on my own at the moment, but with a rope around Troy's neck not attached to his little foalie slip. I think I will do have you have said and start doing some work in the stable with him. He is great to have the foal slip fitted and knows his routine really well already. Like I said he walks in front to the field very happily and will stand and let me take the rope off him now after I made him stand still the other day (just didn't let go until he stood and he seems to have learned from that).

It is difficult because I am on my own doing them so have had to lead them by myself quite quickly as hubby has been brilliant with helping, but he has to work so can't always be there now. It was pretty daunting doing it aone the first time, but now it seems as though we have always been doing it
laugh.gif

amandaco2

Visit site
bey also lead in front of mum from the first day out.
after 5 days cradle leading which she was fine with and walked out great, i lead her with a figure of eight rope round her bum for a while so i could encorage her on without pulling on her head as it can make foals rear and go over backwards.also it wont slip off like a towel round their bum-which would be a real pain if you have both of them on your own!
i also practiced leading her on her own in the field and stable so she understood it wasnt about just keeping infront of mum but keeping alongside me!!
if he drags in from the field i would use the figure of eight(also great for getting them used to something round their bum-bey will be so noty bothered by long lines later!!!) so you can lead from the rope round his body, so he gets the idea he has to keep up lol.
get him used to it in the stable though first with lots of scritching.
bey leads beautifully neither dragginf behind or barging forwards we only had about 2 disagreements and they were sorted out with little fuss!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Slip a rope through the foalslip but don't clip it on. Lead him so that he is on your right hand side (as normal) but hold the rope under his chin with your left hand and put your right hand on the top of his tail and lead him with your left hand and guide him with your right. He will soon get the hang of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely what we do.

niashadow

Visit site
Hi, Troy is very smart, what i always found useful was to tie up mum in stable (by her hay net to keep her occupied) put head collar on and just let them feel you putting pressure on the collar by gently pulling and pushing the lead and eventually pulling BUT making sure while pulling the lead you have your arm behind on their bum, it is very easy and Troy should be great as he is well handled. Then when you go outside putting any pressure on the lead rein won't startle him. Good Luck.
smile.gif