Hambleden Ground conditions update

LCH611

Visit site
Just to let you all know that the going is currently perfect at Hambleden - the squishy bits in the woods are drying out well, and although we have got some light - moderate rain due to come in the next couple of days, it has also been extremely breezy which has meant that the top of the ground (which has been getting greasy when it rains due to the high water table in this area) is drying well. In fact some primulas that I put in pots by fence 2 this morning have wilted as they have completely dehydrated.

I am Hoping To God I haven't jinxed things by being upbeat about ground conditions, but as I have also booked a roadsweeper to deal with the mud on the road issue that stymied us last year, I like to think that the Weather Gods will decide that is a waste of money and make sure we have no mud at all!

lex2501

Visit site
Just to let you all know that the going is currently perfect at Hambleden - the squishy bits in the woods are drying out well, and although we have got some light - moderate rain due to come in the next couple of days, it has also been extremely breezy which has meant that the top of the ground (which has been getting greasy when it rains due to the high water table in this area) is drying well. In fact some primulas that I put in pots by fence 2 this morning have wilted as they have completely dehydrated.

I am Hoping To God I haven't jinxed things by being upbeat about ground conditions, but as I have also booked a roadsweeper to deal with the mud on the road issue that stymied us last year, I like to think that the Weather Gods will decide that is a waste of money and make sure we have no mud at all!

Thank you very much indeed - I have been watching weather forecast religiously with fingers and toes crossed :)

You deserve glorious sunshine for the next few days after last year, and I am very much looking forward to competing on saturday!

TableDancer

Visit site
Yayy, thank you so much, really looking forward to it :) Josie has been incredibly helpful about times as, after entering two, and being allocated in sections late on Saturday afternoon, I realised we are committed to a "Can't Miss, drinking champagne at someone else's expense-type Do" on Saturday night which, as we are over 3 hours away, was somewhat problematic :p Anyway, she has managed to wave her magic wand and cinderella and the ugly mother get to go to BOTH balls :D

BBC weather forecast looking promising for the rest of the week and even bordering on pleasant for the weekend - keeping everything crossed :)

quizzie

Visit site
Thats great to know....was going to post asking about it!

If I may...another question....do the overnight stabling lorries go in the main lorry entrance, or is there another one I need to watch out for ?(.....will be driving up on my own & never been before...!!)

LCH611

Visit site
Thats great to know....was going to post asking about it!

If I may...another question....do the overnight stabling lorries go in the main lorry entrance, or is there another one I need to watch out for ?(.....will be driving up on my own & never been before...!!)

Are you going to your stable first? In which case if you are coming from the Marlow direction you will see the stabling on the right before you get to the site, and if coming from Henley you will see the event first, and then the stabling entrance is about 300 meters further on, on the left!

Resist the temptation to follow any signs leading you actually into Hambleden :)

LCH611

Visit site
Yayy, thank you so much, really looking forward to it :) Josie has been incredibly helpful about times as, after entering two, and being allocated in sections late on Saturday afternoon, I realised we are committed to a "Can't Miss, drinking champagne at someone else's expense-type Do" on Saturday night which, as we are over 3 hours away, was somewhat problematic :p Anyway, she has managed to wave her magic wand and cinderella and the ugly mother get to go to BOTH balls :D

That's really good to hear, but no surprise as she is super-nice and very obliging!

quizzie

Visit site
Are you going to your stable first? In which case if you are coming from the Marlow direction you will see the stabling on the right before you get to the site, and if coming from Henley you will see the event first, and then the stabling entrance is about 300 meters further on, on the left!

Resist the temptation to follow any signs leading you actually into Hambleden :)

Thank you so much....always like to have "some" idea of what I'm attempting to do....helps keep the nerves under control!

LCH611

Visit site
Thank you so much....always like to have "some" idea of what I'm attempting to do....helps keep the nerves under control!

don't worry if you overshoot the first one there is plenty of room to turn round in the second one no matter which direction you come from. And luckily we own the pub which will be running the bar on sat & sun so people stabling get a 10% discount if they need a drink to calm their nerves/help them sleep!

Gamebird

Visit site

BBC weather forecast looking promising for the rest of the week and even bordering on pleasant for the weekend - keeping everything crossed :)

Lucky old you! I applied my ballot stickers but unfortunately this Cinderella will have to make do with a pumpkin. I think I deserve the champagne as recompense! :p :D

Nicnac

Visit site
Good to hear - was just talking about it this evening as one of my trainers has got 3 running. She says it's a lovely event :)

LCH611

Visit site
Does the bus from Henley to High Wycombe go anywhere near? I'd like to go and watch on the Saturday but don't have a car

Yes it goes straight past! Get off at the Henley Management College Stop - and you will be directly opposite. We charge by the car, so going in on foot will mean that you don't pay anything..........

LCH611

Visit site
Thank you for the update :)
Agree Josie has been great at accommodating requests just fingers crossed this wind calms down ;-)

wind is due to calm down - thankfully as it is making more ponies even more lary than usual. Friend rode by and said he thought 4 of them were going to come over the hedge and he wsn't at all amused by their antics as they set his horse off!

lex2501

Visit site
I have just seen on Facebook that Eventing Worldwide will be uploading course photos onto their website in next 10mins so a cheeky sneak peek for us all :)

TableDancer

Visit site
Lucky old you! I applied my ballot stickers but unfortunately this Cinderella will have to make do with a pumpkin. I think I deserve the champagne as recompense! :p :D

Note to the wise, use Super Specials next year which is what I did - you have to choose between Hambleden and Withington and use your SS on whichever you really REALLY want to go to (son's birthday on Withington weekend otherwise it might have been close, sorry LCH611 :p)

So now imagine my discomfort at having withdrawn Noff from the ONu18 on a SS :eek: Rationalised it on the basis that I imagine we won't have him by later in the season so it will be someone else's problem that he has no stickers left, bless him :D

LCH611

Visit site
Note to the wise, use Super Specials next year which is what I did - you have to choose between Hambleden and Withington and use your SS on whichever you really REALLY want to go to (son's birthday on Withington weekend otherwise it might have been close, sorry LCH611 :p)
Note to self - there's the first one for my ballot list next year :)

LCH611

Visit site
I have just seen on Facebook that Eventing Worldwide will be uploading course photos onto their website in next 10mins so a cheeky sneak peek for us all :)

yes, although when Dave was taking pics this morning not all the fences were finished & dressed...... but it will give you the general idea!

lex2501

Visit site
The course looks STUNNING! Thank you so much - quite clear that a huge amount of effort has gone into giving us beautiful courses and the best possible going. We really do appreciate it :) look forward to seeing you on Saturday and I hope it all goes smoothly for you

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
i had been hopeful as when I entered day before ballot only 6 needed balloting but everyone then entered after me the spoil sports! :p was on wait list and stayed there for a while till point I knew couldn't get day off at short notice so forced to withdraw from wait list.

Next year as course photos look amazing :)

Tamsin123

www.facebook.co.uk
Really appreicate your post regarding the ground conditions, thank you I wish more organisers would do the same! After walking the course on Friday last year and seeing the flooded SJ collecting ring and deep mud on xc Hamleden really deserve an amazing sunny event this year! The course photos looks amazing too I'm very much looking forward to eventing on Saturday! Only 2 days to go!!

Bubblegum

Visit site
So happy to hear that ground conditions are great. Very excited to be coming to Hambleden for the first time...we have heard such good things about the event and like many were so sad that you had to abandon last year, and we didn't get to run.
Fingers xd for a sunny event.
Course looks great on Eventing Worldwide pics :)