Hammer marks

millikins

Visit site
The thread about being "bog burnt" made me think of this. Saw a horse advertised on DD saying it had "hammer marks". Can't imagine anyone would own up to hitting their horse with a hammer so assume it meant dapples in a dark coat. Anyone else come across this term?

eggs

Visit site
My thug of a yearling kicked his field companion who was left with a prophet’s thumb mark having not had one before so definitely not lucky!

catkin

Visit site
The thread about being "bog burnt" made me think of this. Saw a horse advertised on DD saying it had "hammer marks". Can't imagine anyone would own up to hitting their horse with a hammer so assume it meant dapples in a dark coat. Anyone else come across this term?

Yes, I know the term to mean dapples in a dark coat. Thought of as a sign of good health. Another old term for them is 'coins'.

millikins

Visit site
Yes, I know the term to mean dapples in a dark coat. Thought of as a sign of good health. Another old term for them is 'coins'.

Thank you. I looked at our black mare after I saw it and thought it could look like she'd been hit with a flat headed hammer, just never come across it before. Or "coins".

J&S

Visit site
On a chestnut or sorrel the dappling look like hammer marks on copper. Lovely to see glinting in the sunlight.