Hand held clippers - are they any good

Jennypenny

Visit site
I clipped my cob yesterday for the first time since I have had him and he was a nightmare. Took a bridle a twich and two people holding him. I still need to tidy him up round face and elbows and a bit round his back legs. I was think of getting some little hand held clippers just to help finish round his face. Are they any good, will they work?

Alimac19

Visit site
They are OK but if your horse is terrified of clippers then he will be scared of the trimmers too. My horse is also terrified of them. I've tried leaving them running for hourse on end whilst grooing and everything but still terrified so getting the vet to sedate him this time around.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Why didn't you use some sedalin & save a lot of struggling? I tried desensitising my horse to clippers but it's never worked. He's great with everything bar clipping so I use sedalin & it makes things so much easier.

Jennypenny

Visit site
I shall sedate him for his next clip. I managed to clip him yesterday with helpers, but I just need to tidying him up. I have normal clippers and the cordless harmony clippers. I just wondered if the manual hand held ones worked to finish his head or if they would be a waste of money. Will get some sedaline later I think to help finish/tidying him up. Just frustrating as there is only a tiny bit left to do. Next clip I will get him sedated as it will be safer for everyone.

Bozzy

Visit site
I have the wahl trimmers and find them ok for the head (they're certainly al lot quieter). I also have the liveryman harmony clippers and just use the smaller blade and sedalin to do the head and around the ears.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I once bought a pair of the manual hand ones - think they are still about somewhere - frankly unless you are just doing the most tiny area they are hard work bordering on useless.

I am lucky in that mine are good to clip - but if they were not, then I would sedate them and then work on getting them used to the blades if I could. My youngster at 16 months was tied next to my old boy to get used to the sound and then I would run the blades on him for short periods to get him used to the feel. Worked very well and he has never been a problem to clip.

Oddly on the few nervy ones I have clipped, they seemed to be less bothered by my old noisy Lister Stablemates, than the tiny trimmers which seem to have a high pitch and a more intense vibrate than my big blades.