Handbrake stuck on DAF lorry

monkeymad

Visit site
Has anyone had a problem with a handbrake being stuck on a DAF, or know of the possible causes? Thanks.

Fire_Fly

Visit site
OH used to be a HGV mechanic, he said as they're hydrolic it could be as simple as a line come loose.

Is there a hissing or are the air bags filling up?

Is it one where they cab comes over? What model is it?

perfect11s

Visit site
Has anyone had a problem with a handbrake being stuck on a DAF, or know of the possible causes? Thanks.
Is it building up air presure?? make sure both air gauges are over the white line otherwise call a mecanic its not worth burning your clutch out if they stuck on !!!! you might need to run the engine for up a few minuits to get the air up if its been standing

Last edited:

monkeymad

Visit site
Thanks for replies. Its a Daf 45 and cab does lift up (altho its a task in itself to do that!) The air pressure in tanks is fine. I was out in lorry on Sat afternoon and it was fine, but this morning (obvioulsy after I had loaded up horses), and drove out of drive I realised handbrake was stuck on and it just won't release. Better to happen at the yard rather than when I was at an event!

Fire_Fly

Visit site
How did the thing move if the handbreak was on? That's stumped the OH haha, or do you mean it's not releasing fully? Such as only one side of wheels are moving and the other are still braked?

perfect11s

Visit site
Thanks for replies. Its a Daf 45 and cab does lift up (altho its a task in itself to do that!) The air pressure in tanks is fine. I was out in lorry on Sat afternoon and it was fine, but this morning (obvioulsy after I had loaded up horses), and drove out of drive I realised handbrake was stuck on and it just won't release. Better to happen at the yard rather than when I was at an event!
is it a daf LF 45 or a leyland daf 45 pre 2001 ?? if its the latter could be a cable sticking but I would get someone to check it over its not worth risking it if there is something amiss with the brakes
Please!!!

monkeymad

Visit site
Maybe its not fully on? When I was driving across yard I thought it was going really, really slowly and then I saw the P light was on the dash board, so just stopped and unloaded horses. My other half also asked how I could drive with the handbrake on, I told him I was gifted! When you put handbreak on, theres normally a really load gushing sound of air, but now theres no real noise.

HoneyBear

New User
Visit site
Hi Monkeymad. I know it was a few years back but can you remember what was wrong with your lorry brakes as I have the same problem. Parking brake is locked on, no load gushing sound of air when parking brake is released. Many thanks, K

Jassa wallia

New User
Visit site
Hi if any body ever have a hand break jam with trucks .its very easy to rectify .look for the air dryer location .open the main pipes from tank .them remove the valve .there are normally attaching the system to the truck .turn the whole unite upside down there is 4 Alen key bolts you open .you will find a daiphrum.check if any damage you replace if not there are 4 rubber orings if damaged replace once all that is checked replace back and your hand break is super to normal .

sanjo

Visit site
Hi Monkeymad. I know it was a few years back but can you remember what was wrong with your lorry brakes as I have the same problem. Parking brake is locked on, no load gushing sound of air when parking brake is released. Many thanks, K
I know it is also a few years back (like 10!!) but did you get to the bottom of this? I have the same problem....