Happy hacker horses

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
AA, thank you for the translation. I'm having a tendency to take things at face value and struggle to read between the lines. I'm clearly going to have to get better at that.

Interesting that people are saying about anxious draft breeds...I've not had much to do with Shires but I have Clydesdales and I can't say I've really met any anxious or stressy ones. The Breton my friend had was so laid back it was unreal.
But they definitely can be prone to using their strength against you if they have a mind to.

gunnergundog

Visit site
I thought you were riding a friend's horse - you posted a picture of yourself on him a while back. What has happened there?
You will also save money more quickly without a horse to spend money on. (You will save on insurance, wormers, flu & tet, teeth, physio, tack, rugs, hard feed and hay, cost of taking horse out to hire school, fun rides etc etc.)

Conclusion: a stop gap is a bad idea. Sod's law says as soon as you have the interim horse you will find your dream and won't be able to buy him as you won't be able to shift the stop gap.

Patience. It is better to be 6-12 months without a horse and wait for the right one, which you may have for 10 years plus, depending on age.

Follysmum

Visit site
I have a cob/ID x shire He’s 20 and have had him from 6mths. He has been one the most fantastic horses we have ever had as a family. He is my hubbys horse of a lifetime. He is the best horse for anyone in the ménage that’s nervous or never ridden he would make a fab RDA horse.
On pleasure and fun rides ( if your an experienced rider ) he will up the gear and he can be extremely strong.

JenniD

Visit site
I agree with you, 3K is NOT a drop in the ocean..if I was buying I couldn't go above that. You've had a lot of disappointment lately with trying to buy the perfect nag for you. I can understand the frustration. Sometimes we try too hard for something to come along and they just don't! It's called 'sods law'! The right horse for you may come along when you're least expecting it. A nice, well behaved 'Happy Hacker' might be just what you need for the time being to enjoy life with - to be honest it's all I could cope with being a crusty old novice!:p My motto is: Life is to be 'enjoyed' not 'endured'. As another poster said....an honest, cobby, reasonable (£) been there done that horse may give you a lot of pleasure. Enjoy your summer hacking.

sollimum

Visit site
Can you not find a young cob for your money? I did and yes he was green but kind. We have done lots of different things, mainly hacking but sponsored rides, endurance, rc clinics etc but obviously had to put the foundations in first, with help.

Edited to say he is fully clipped and looks smart and has turned out to be so much more than I bought him for.

abbijay

Visit site
What about something like this mare, she is already doing the job that you want? Could be chunky enough to take up your leg?

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/118972285/152hh-perfect-happy-hacker.html?link=/classifieds/horses-livestock/horses-ponies/for-sale?page=4
That advert is written as exactly what I'd look for in my next horse. Easy to do, happy to get on with whatever happens in life. I fully expect that if you wanted to school her up to go out for any kind of RC competing she'd be ace because she's just not bothered about things.

Floxie

Visit site
What about something like this mare, she is already doing the job that you want? Could be chunky enough to take up your leg?

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/118972285/152hh-perfect-happy-hacker.html?link=/classifieds/horses-livestock/horses-ponies/for-sale?page=4

1st thought: Oh, she's lovely! I imagine she could 'step up' if required
2nd thought: Christ almighty that is a looooooooong horse! (pic 5/6) You might need a second stable for her back end :p

*(ok technically it probably looks worse cos the saddle is on her shoulders - I am being mean!)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm pretty sure thats a dealer. They arent as bad as KT etc but I'd want to be a bit careful and get a very good vet to do the vetting. I'd also be in the car now on the way to see her. If she is even roughly as described then she will suit you down to the ground. a 15.2hh wide cob will feel much bigger than 15.2hh once you are on board

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Only ever done pleasure rides and hacking, nothing fazes her- sold to me!!
:)
When you have one that can be fazed and looks to you for their confidence hacking or looks for spooky spots. That sentence alone would have me go view!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
going back to the original spec, SLH said nothing under 16 hands....if she could go to 15,2 there have been quite a few that fitted the rest of the criteria and were in budget, its the 16 hands and over and the age preference which makes the search so hard and anything that is suitable goes very quickly as there are many people looking for safe sane horses that will hack alone...

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
1st thought: Oh, she's lovely! I imagine she could 'step up' if required
2nd thought: Christ almighty that is a looooooooong horse! (pic 5/6) You might need a second stable for her back end :p

*(ok technically it probably looks worse cos the saddle is on her shoulders - I am being mean!)

The saddle is up her shoulder, yep, and looks too small. I wouldn’t say she looked long, taking those two things in to consideration.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site

She sounds great you can always school her up if you wanted to, they say she is as wide as she is tall so she may not feel too small so take up more of your leg and make you feel more secure?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Avoid, dodgy dealers

They really arent that bad. They are cheap and very rough and ready, but so long as you are aware of that and take the necessary precautions you will be fine. They wont deliberately screw you over, they just arent interested in customer service. But at that price thats what you'd expect.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
They really arent that bad. They are cheap and very rough and ready, but so long as you are aware of that and take the necessary precautions you will be fine. They wont deliberately screw you over, they just arent interested in customer service. But at that price thats what you'd expect.
Usually I would agree with you but said dealer is now working with rebecca carnell who was local to me and was notorious for selling cheap broken horses with false passports.
I went with a friend to view a few horses last month and although some were okay and cheaply priced for genuine reasons they seem to have a drawer of passports and just vaguely match one to the horse. Friend went to view a 15 hand 6 year old cob, horse was obviously younger and freshly backed, and passport was a 16.2 Irish passport for a 14 year old 🤨