Happy Hacker market?

lcharles

Visit site
I've been offered a 14 year old mare, grey, very cheap....like ridiculously cheap as its a family friend who bought it to hack two years ago....she can't really ride!! It started 'napping' last year but i went and hacked it out a few times for her and it went fine. It probably just knows that she only sits on top like she's on a beach donkey and when it turns around to come home on its own accord she lets it incase it does something - it never has done anything!

It's been a lawnmower for the last 3 months and is looking better, she was a bit skinny before. The lady wants her to go to a good home and be loved, she knows I would buy it to sell on with a quick turn around, although I don't want to get stuck with it. I feel that she would be a brilliant happy hacker for someone as she goes on her own in heavy traffic and does jump, although I haven't jumped her x

So all I wanted to know, is there a market for 14 year old happy hackers, she could potentially be more but I don't know until i've rode her. Also other than sarcoids, is there anything else I should check out before agreeing to take her on? x Would her age put people off? I know she's not old but I wouldn't buy a 14 year old for myself, although I wouldnt buy a happy hacker either lol x

xTrooperx

Visit site
There is a market for older happy hackers, I feel 14 is a good age as they have hopefully been there done that, as an person getting back into the horse world, after a long break this is something and many others would be looking for.

Jackster14

Visit site
There is a market for older happy hackers, I feel 14 is a good age as they have hopefully been there done that, as an person getting back into the horse world, after a long break this is something and many others would be looking for.

What I was looking for last year when I returned to riding after a long break. Mine was 13 when I bought him.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Is she good alone and in company at all paces?

Good with scooters/motorbikes/vans/farm vehicles/skip lorries etc...?

How is she passing bin bags/flappy plastic/screaming children etc...?

Does she pull up easily after a gallop on a stubble field?

Will she pop a log without fuss?

Can you remount easily (does she stand still, even if a little excited) if you need to dismount to open a gate?

^ You need to ask these sorts of questions, as if she does all of the above (and anything else that is a plus out hacking eg happily goes over bridges) then she will be desirable. Being a safe, fun happy hacker for an average rider is a job that not all horses can do.

You will need to eradicate the napping and match her to someone who wont let it come back. :)

lcharles

Visit site
Thank you, It sounds like she could appeal then. It would be good for her to go to a home as a happy hacker and be loved and fussed as the current owner wants. Glad the age wouldn't put people off, as you've all said, its probably the right age really!

She would definately have to go to someone that can ride a bit and do the basics to have fun with her. At the moment she's ridden down the same road, the same bridle path, at the same pace everytime so I can understand why she turns around when she's bored!

Faracat, she is good with all traffic, dogs, screaming kids but not sure about bin bags. I'm sure she's fine otherwise her rider (that doesnt actualy 'ride') wouldnt of rode her out on her own! I will have to check all of this myself though before selling her on. I can't say i've ever seen her excited! lol she's pretty much a dope on a rope! She hacks under and over a motorway bridge without a blink and probably lacks personality if anything! Not my type at all but someone dream horse I guess! She's also 15.2, is that the right sort of size? And what sort of price would you put on this type? She's probably a fine cob cross something, lovely nature, very easy but slightly boring?!!

lcharles

Visit site
She'll probably go up for £800 - £1200 depending on how good she is, only buying her for £200 and want a quick turn around. I'll go see her later on and weigh up the pro's and con's. Last thing I want is to be stuck with a happy hacker paying rent for her! At her age though - even though she isnt old I don't think she'd appeal to anyone as more than a hacker would she? Perhaps teenager coming onto horses for small pc activities at a push! lol x

chaps89

Visit site
What may seem boring to you is some-one elses idea of perfect ;)
It's the kind of horse my mum would have if she ever got back into it, something that's not a total plod (generalising widely here, not a ploddy cob but not a feisty tb either!) but will essentially hack anywhere, I'd have thought if healthy and low mileage she'd be easy to sell on

telerimist

Visit site
I wouldn't be put off, if I was looking for a hacker for my mum I'd want something that was older and had kind of 'been there, done that and now wants a quieter life'
Horses are still being ridden well into their 20s so I don't think she's too old at all. Even had a friend who has her horse put down at the age of 39 and he still did the odd plod hack :)

shmoo

Visit site
Personally I don't mind what age my happy hacker is - as long as the boxes regarding general good health, traffic, spookiness, and manners in company are ticked. I don't ride alone so napping is also not an issue for me (although I don't approve of course :p). Good luck, hope you find a good forever home.

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Sounds perfect for someone like my mum so theres certainly a market. 14 is not old and is actually a really good age; not to young for someone less experienced and also still has many more years to be enjoyed. Good luck.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Faracat, she is good with all traffic, dogs, screaming kids but not sure about bin bags. I'm sure she's fine otherwise her rider (that doesnt actualy 'ride') wouldnt of rode her out on her own! I will have to check all of this myself though before selling her on. I can't say i've ever seen her excited! lol she's pretty much a dope on a rope! She hacks under and over a motorway bridge without a blink and probably lacks personality if anything! Not my type at all but someone dream horse I guess! She's also 15.2, is that the right sort of size? And what sort of price would you put on this type? She's probably a fine cob cross something, lovely nature, very easy but slightly boring?!!

Just to give you some info - I was offered £3k for my mare who can be nappy going past Alpacas (nothing that a reasonable rider can't cope with) as a Happy Hack in 2010 (she was 12 then and is a 15.2 and a bit hh Anglo arab, so a smart looking horse). She really is fab with all traffic (even the steam engine we once met on a single track lane, crow scarers going off right next to her etc... you can take her anywhere alone or with others.

I turned it down because where would I find one that good and reliable to replace her?

One of the reasons I mentioned the remounting is because time and time again I have hacked out with others who wouldn't dismount because they said they wouldn't be able to get on again. So I had to get off to sort their horse's boots, pick up their dropped phone, open gates etc...

murphysmum123

Visit site
This is exactly what I am looking for for my 13 year old daughter anything that is safe is worth its weight in gold! If you don't have room and you need a lovely home I'm here!! I am sure you will get loads of interest! Xxx

Dry Rot

Visit site
Most of the inquiries I used to get were for this type of pony. Web site now amended as being a breeder, I don't have older safe plodders!

When I advertised a 16yo brood mare that the kids had been riding, I had three people all offering over £2,000 but she really was 100% safe. Just sold her 3yo daughter for a lot more, but that's another story.

But you do need to be sure the pony really is safe as the purchaser will probably be a novice. They can easily have quirks at that age rather than a well brought up youngster who should be a clean slate.

So, yes, the good ones are hard to find and worth what you pay for them. But at £200, I'd wonder and worry!

cbmcts

Visit site
If she is sane and healthy I'd think that a) you'll be able to pick her home and b) that she'd be worth nearer £2k. If she'll also pop a small course, behave in company and doesn't have any vices, add another £500 at least. Maybe she won't set the world alight but there are many people (like me!) that are capable but lacking in confidence or getting on a bit so don't bounce too well :p who appreciate a safe horse that will go out and do.

The braver amongst you might find that boring but I find it relaxing, thank you very much...my crazy days were quite some years ago.

If she's only £200 I think I'd also invest another £200 on a 5 stage vetting just in case there are any issues as she hasn't really been in work ie why was she skinny if she wasn't doing much? It's also a good sales tool if you're planning on reselling (I know that most sensible buyers will have their own vetting done but it will reassure the people who might not even look at her because of her age). The other thing that us old gimmers especially like is a horse that has the basics of schooling, like light off the leg and so on so maybe spend a bit of time working on those basics and getting her half fit.