Happy hackers/ low level competers, do you ever……

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Secretly wish you had the money, time, ability, horse to do what they do in the competition riders……

I do! I would have evented.

But really I do love my boys and what we do together!
grin.gif

sandr

Visit site
Yep, i am absolutely desperate for a lorry so I can go out and do stuff
frown.gif
But money means i cant get one

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
No i dont want more in a horse, just like having a happy hacker and having some fun.
I am not interested in competing, in hand showing is my thing, so i suppose if i had more money i would breed and show natives like Dales, Cobs etc

ETS: i would only do low level and fun stuff with inhand showing if i ever did

muddy boots

Visit site
Yes......but I do love my hacking soooo much, I would like competing if I didn't get so wound up about it - I suppose I would need to do it more to get over that. Nerves are not specifically about the jumps etc, but the whole competition thing. I still think that lovely hack with some exciting bits, accompanied by good friends on a nice day is just the best.

_unregistered_

Visit site
Nope, ive got a trailer take my son out competing regular but never feel the need to do it myself anymore, always did when I was young but now just enjoy plodding about with my girl.

vhf

Visit site
Used to, and would again in a flash - but think I might need a new body as well as money, time, etc. etc. Age (or falling off for 30+ years) has caught up with me.
tongue.gif

GinaGem

Visit site
Lol nope at the mo I'm going the opposite way, tried the serious competition prospect and I now fancy just having a bit of fun!

Honeypots

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
no 'm just happy plodding around our beautifull countryside
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too..I've had a go little go at most things and none really gripped me tbh. I like going at my own pace...I'm just not competetive enough
smile.gif

dwi

Visit site
Yes sometimes but then I remember several things...

...I don't particularly like jumping so would be rubbish as an eventer/Sjer
...I don't like bathing a horse 15 times in one morning to get the yellow bits out so would be no good at showing

Mostly though because I'm too competitive. I don't like entering things that I have no chance of winning. I've never been of the "it's the taking part that counts" brigade. If I'm not trying to win then why not stay at home and save the entry fee?

rara007

Visit site
I somtimes wonder what I'm doing wrong that means I spend every penny I have on the ponies, put all my free time into riding etc. yet seem to have less fun than the happy hackers who spend much less and don't have to put in all the hours schooling in all weathers and camping in perishing conditions.

But if I had the money or abilty to ride a proper sexy dressage horse I would jump at the chance. ( Well actually I dream about eventing but dressage horses are sexiest
tongue.gif
In my dreams I event a dressage horse.) I wish I was one of the people that compete every weekend and twice some weekends but I am sooooooooooooooo lucky to have my ponio and we have alot of fun.

Cash

Visit site
Yes... i compete as much as i can but, due to non horsy family and very unkeen horse, that hasn't been much so far. I'd love to event, and be an amzing rider, and have a massive lorry with my name on the side, and have gorgeous twenty grand horses who actually LIKE jumping..... *molly's eyes glaze over* :p
But with the new horse and trailer... who knows? It all may happen yet
wink.gif

smirnoff_ice07

Visit site
Yeah... love my jumping but due to youg horse and reliance on dad for towing only do local stuff... Am not all that competetive anyway love hunting more we go out charge around jump huge walls and have gd laugh
laugh.gif
The best!!!

Jericho

Visit site
In my dreams I would love to be a successful competition rider.... but firstly just dont have the time now and secondly I know that if I did get the time I probably wouldnt as dont actually enjoy the competing when it actually comes to it. I think I just love the preparation but hate the actual competing .

blackmagic

Visit site
Would love to compete more but could never manage serious competig with working shifts. Plus I would need to add confidence to that list (and talent!)

SNORKEY

Visit site
Nope, done all the top county level showing with coloured,cobs,hacks and riding horses and it's soooo much effort and it's all who you know not what you know, and very expensive, although my boy is lovely im quite happy just to hack him, and do the odd local show to get us out every now and again this year, plus saving for a wedding and house totally put a spanner in the works for that his year anyway!

sunflower

Visit site
I wish I had the time/money/ability/horse to be a happy hacker/low level competer rather than a riding school numpty
grin.gif

muddy boots

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

...I don't like bathing a horse 15 times in one morning to get the yellow bits out so would be no good at showing

Agree with this - although my boy is brown, cleaning isn't a strength of mine.

_Acolyte_

Visit site
I am very happy doing what I do - I will never want to do more than unaff novice dressage, unaff SJ (max 3', I hate SJ
grin.gif
) and eventing up to PN
smile.gif
Bob and I are working our way to that level, starting slowly
grin.gif

I greatly admire people who compete at higher levels, but I also realise they are a whole lot more talented that I can ever be
crazy.gif
My horse could do more but I just havent got the ability and never will have
crazy.gif

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
Yep :p Would love to have a posh Show Jumper and transport and pretty tack... My beastie hasn't been ridden for nearly a year because of various soundness issues
frown.gif
Would love for him to be sound, jumpable and talented xD

RunToEarth

Visit site
I couldn't imagine not competing- that is why I have horses.
I HATE hacking out most days, unless its really nice, I certainly wouldn't have a horse just to hack (and that isn't meaning to offend any of you that do, I just wouldn't like to)
For me its all about getting up early, rushing about getting horses ready, clean, pretty, staying away at shows, living in lorries and of course that social side to it all
wink.gif

ladyt25

Visit site
I would like to have the finances and facilities to be able to do more I guess but would probably still only do weekend competing anyway to be honest. I like having a social life outside of horses and going on holidays so wouldn't suit being a full time competition rider - I don't think I'm dedicated enough and neither do I think I'm brave enough although sometimes i think I'd love to go higher SJing

Couldn't be a professional eventer, though they're crackers!!!

Also, doesn't help I am allergic to horses so it doesn't do me much good being round a lot of different horses too often. I am used to ours and have built up some immunity but new ones set me off with my allergies so it makes spending too much time with horses less fun.

legaldancer

Visit site
I would have loved to have been more competitive, but come from a non-horsey family & chose a career based in London before starting a family in my thirties. Have always hunted & done local unaffiliated stuff, but would have loved to be out every weekend.

Last year I went in my first Team Chase & for me it was the highlight of my horsey life! It will probably be my last TC also, but just to have got round safe & sound was enough.

I hack & hunt, so that keeps me happy as I still have family commitments.

TS_

Visit site
I would love to be one of those people who's out every weekend doing something or other at a high level. I've always wanted to BSJA but never had the money or horse too. I'd also loved to of evented but i don't think i'd have the tallent to jump big showjumps let alone massive xc fences and dressage tests! I also love the getting ready part of competing and getting dressed up all smart!
I brought my current horse with the hope that we would have the potential to do more in the way of competing. Unfortuantly went off the rails a bit but are now back on track and will see where this year takes us
smile.gif

Flame_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Used to, and would again in a flash - but think I might need a new body as well as money, time, etc. etc. Age (or falling off for 30+ years) has caught up with me.
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto this.

I've given up constantly trying, failing and being disappointed.

I'm just loving being able to ride and go for a hack after three years of constant lame horses, my problem horse and my own injuries all proving I'm never going to event. Now I've accepted it, I'm not sure I'd want to do it if I could. I'd hate the thought of risking my little horse, pushing her for my own amusement and adding more wear and tear when I want her to last me a long time. If I hadn't jumped my gelding at all he might not have packed up way before his time.

So no, I just want to be a fun rider.
cool.gif

L

lilym

Nooooooooooo i'm not competitive in the slightest, i just can't be bothered!!