Happy hackers- which hoof boots do you use?

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
Happy sunday!
I’ve decided to go ahead and try out hoof boots after my last thread.
I have a young ex racer (tb) who is being brought into light work soon and seems to be struggling with the hard rocks on the driveway a bit.
We will only be hacking and doing light schooling whilst out on hacks.
The majority of the ground surface will be grass but we do have a very lengthy driveway with tarmac and harsh rocks. Hard ground will make up about 10% of our rides. For this reason, I really don’t want to put shoes back on her (unless she needs them!).

Could you guys throw some recommendations for hoof boots my way?
Thanks in advance 😁

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
The ones that fit your horse. They can be many contributory factors for fit. I liked cavallos initially as very forgiving on fit and can take good thick pads. So much choice nowadays.
Would it be best to just measure her THEN find something that fits her measurements the best? I don’t have a barefoot trimmer nearby who would have any on hand to try out 🙁

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
You may get away with just boots on the front. It's worth trying before you spend on all four.
I use hoof armour on mine which I find really good and now just use the boots if I'm doing an unusually challenging ride. You may find it helps yours.

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
You may get away with just boots on the front. It's worth trying before you spend on all four.
I use hoof armour on mine which I find really good and now just use the boots if I'm doing an unusually challenging ride. You may find it helps yours.
Thanks for the advice! Someone on Facebook got really upset at me asking about hoof armour and essentially told me I was “poisoning my horse” if I ever tried it lol.
Would you recommend it? The sharp rocks consist a very small part of the ride!

Mrs G

Visit site
I started my TB with cavallo treks on the front (back feet were already unshod). I got advice from the Hoof Bootique and emailed them some photos and measurements, and that’s what she recommended. As others have said, they are quite forgiving to fit and easy to get on/off. They are often used as a ‘starter’ barefoot boot but I’ve stayed with them - they do for us and our type of hacking (ambling about for an hour or two on a mixture of grass paths, muddy lanes, stoney tracks and tarmac roads). I’m on to my second pair in 8 years; I wish my yard/riding boots lasted so well!

Peglo

Visit site
I used the hoof boutique. I sent them measurements and I got some shells to try for fit. I wanted scoots but they didn’t fit my mares hooves so ended up with easyboot gloves. Liz at hoof boutique was so helpful and was so glad to have her help to get it right.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Thanks for the advice! Someone on Facebook got really upset at me asking about hoof armour and essentially told me I was “poisoning my horse” if I ever tried it lol.
I find it really good though the effectiveness seems to build over time as it allows a thicker sole to develop. My experience anyway.
I've used it for about two years now.

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
I started my TB with cavallo treks on the front (back feet were already unshod). I got advice from the Hoof Bootique and emailed them some photos and measurements, and that’s what she recommended. As others have said, they are quite forgiving to fit and easy to get on/off. They are often used as a ‘starter’ barefoot boot but I’ve stayed with them - they do for us and our type of hacking (ambling about for an hour or two on a mixture of grass paths, muddy lanes, stoney tracks and tarmac roads). I’m on to my second pair in 8 years; I wish my yard/riding boots lasted so well!
Thank you so much! The hoof boutique seems fab I’ll definitely get in touch. Is there a charge for their advice?

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
I find it really good though the effectiveness seems to build over time as it allows a thicker sole to develop. My experience anyway.
I've used it for about two years now.
Do you apply it yourself or is it something you’d need a professional to do for you?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I love my scoots 👀 urban horse sent me a fitting kit with three sized shells for £45 after I sent them pictures and measurements. Once I sent the boots back I got £30 back. Bought the boots and pads from them and I’ve went back to them for other items as I’ve been impressed with the service 🙂

expanding_horizon

Visit site
I think you are mixing up Hoof Amour and Keratex hoof hardener (which contains formaldehyde and many people have strong objections to using).

Zoeypxo

Visit site
I use cavallos all round on my warmblood. The terrain i hack on is mostly rough stones so i do wear through them quicker than some. Highly reccomend them if they fit your horse.

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
I used the hoof boutique. I sent them measurements and I got some shells to try for fit. I wanted scoots but they didn’t fit my mares hooves so ended up with easyboot gloves. Liz at hoof boutique was so helpful and was so glad to have her help to get it right.
Thank you!! I’ll definitely try them out

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
I love my scoots 👀 urban horse sent me a fitting kit with three sized shells for £45 after I sent them pictures and measurements. Once I sent the boots back I got £30 back. Bought the boots and pads from them and I’ve went back to them for other items as I’ve been impressed with the service 🙂
This seems fab! Thank you for telling me

Caol Ila

Visit site
Like Paddy, my favourite boots are Renegade Vipers but ultimately you need the brand that fits your horse.

I found it easier to take the measurements and then send that info to the Hoof Bootique, who advised on what was likely to fit. The advice is free, but sometimes they advise you to use their fit kit, which is a bunch of shells of different boots. That costs £50. But it was worth it because you work out what fits your horse, and you don't have the faff of trying boots, then sending them back, ad infinitum.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think you are mixing up Hoof Amour and Keratex hoof hardener (which contains formaldehyde and many people have strong objections to using).

Hoof Armour is an epoxy resin glue like Araldite, I think people have (unwarranted) objections to both that and Keratex. Neither product is remotely unsafe used as directed.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use hoof armour as we only have a few bits of very stony ground and it does the job most of the time, in the depths of summer when it's very hard and stony I get off and lead then jumpm back on once on the better ground.

Works for us but my Arab is only barely 15h and his good to mount anywhere and I found the boots a big faff especially as 90% of my hacking he doesn't need them.

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
Like Paddy, my favourite boots are Renegade Vipers but ultimately you need the brand that fits your horse.

I found it easier to take the measurements and then send that info to the Hoof Bootique, who advised on what was likely to fit. The advice is free, but sometimes they advise you to use their fit kit, which is a bunch of shells of different boots. That costs £50. But it was worth it because you work out what fits your horse, and you don't have the faff of trying boots, then sending them back, ad infinitum.
They sound great. Im gonna Wait For my girl to have a fresh trim then do exactly this! Thanks

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
Hoof Armour is an epoxy resin glue like Araldite, I think people have (unwarranted) objections to both that and Keratex. Neither product is remotely unsafe used as directed.
Thanks! Honestly she scared me a bit. “You wouldn’t put those things on your youngster if you CARED about her” did seem a bit extreme lol