Happy hackers- which hoof boots do you use?

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
I use hoof armour as we only have a few bits of very stony ground and it does the job most of the time, in the depths of summer when it's very hard and stony I get off and lead then jumpm back on once on the better ground.

Works for us but my Arab is only barely 15h and his good to mount anywhere and I found the boots a big faff especially as 90% of my hacking he doesn't need them.
This sounds like something that would be good for me too as we only have a couple hundred metres of rocky ground!

expanding_horizon

Visit site
I think you’re right. The conversation was about hoof hardeners and someone brought up keratex and she lost it 😕

Hoof armor is a bit like applying extra strong nail varnish to feet. Can build up the layers too. It does lessen the amount feet soften in wet ground. It also have antimicrobial properties so can help prevent / clear up thrush. It does lessen wear and provide a bit of protection, but it isnt a miracle worker. I have never heard anyone suggest it can be detrimental to feet.

Keratex hoof hardner contains formaldehyde - some people have concerns over toxicity, some professionals say it does harden but leads to feet structure being worse off long term, other professionals use it and state hardening benefits and no issues. There are strong options on the long term impact of putting formaldehyde on feet.

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
Hoof armor is a bit like applying extra strong nail varnish to feet. Can build up the layers too. It does lessen the amount feet soften in wet ground. It also have antimicrobial properties so can help prevent / clear up thrush. It does lessen wear and provide a bit of protection, but it isnt a miracle worker. I have never heard anyone suggest it can be detrimental to feet.

Keratex hoof hardner contains formaldehyde - some people have concerns over toxicity, some professionals say it does harden but leads to feet structure being worse off long term, other professionals use it and state hardening benefits and no issues. There are strong options on the long term impact of putting formaldehyde on feet.
Thank you so much for explaining this!
I’d be leaning more towards the hoof armour

lynz88

Visit site
I think no matter what you post particularly on FB, someone is going to object and claim you are abusing/killing/ruining/whatever else your horse. I've used keratex in the past not knowing about its issues but used sparingly and not had an issue. I haven't used hardeners for a good few years but have used hoof boots. The flex fit my TB perfectly so went with those but you need to go with what will fit your horse. They can be slippery but you could always have an extra pair with studs.

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
I think no matter what you post particularly on FB, someone is going to object and claim you are abusing/killing/ruining/whatever else your horse. I've used keratex in the past not knowing about its issues but used sparingly and not had an issue. I haven't used hardeners for a good few years but have used hoof boots. The flex fit my TB perfectly so went with those but you need to go with what will fit your horse. They can be slippery but you could always have an extra pair with studs.
You are absolutely correct lol
Do you find them slippery with just ice or with wet grass as well?
Thank you ♡

expanding_horizon

Visit site
Thank you ♡
Both IME. My horse fell over twice wearing flex boots on all four feet. On damp but not v wet grass. I had been using them not exclusively and not on much abrasive ground for about 5 months at time (most of our hacking is old turf).

IME new flex boots have slightly more grip than moderately used ones. But I still think they are pretty dangerous on wet / dewy grass or wet mud.

I found cavallos, equine fusion (not all terrain model) and flex have little grip on wet grass / wet mud / ice, to the point of being dangerous.

Best grip I found explora Magic / equine fusion all terrain ultras / evos / scoots

All boots I have used had good grip on tarmac, even wet.

I have experimented with studding various boots, but the issue is I dont like the studs on the ten minutes of road I use to get to the grass. I also think the flex / scoot soles are quite thin to stud and therefore risky that damage sole. I finally found even with only 20 minutes (10 there and 10 back) of roadwork, hacking 2-3 times a week the studs I fitted did not last more than a few months. Making it costly.

Last edited:

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Mine fell over once with the cavallos, on wet mud on a corner, she span and shot off at speed and slid over. She was fine but i wouldnt have asked her to canter round a muddy bend on purpose 🫣.
Yep agree they are brilliant on all tarmac including wet, mine used to slip with shoes on unless road nailed up.

lynz88

Visit site
Thank you ♡

They are slippery on wet grass and mud. But I think my horse finds them not as bad as shoes without studs as he used to slip and slide around when in shoes. He also didn't like walking down the lane way on the way back because he would slip in shoes but is completely fine in boots. We don't have a lot of ice around me and it's been a while since both him and I were in Canada (when ice was a huge factor, especially if no or limited snowfall) but didn't need hoof boots then.

cobbycobgirl

Visit site
Oh dear. Thank you all for your recent replies!
I’m thinking things through a little bit more now with this new info about them being a bit slippery on grass!!
I live in wales so the grass is more often wet than not! I’m starting to think hood hardener or just letting her acclimate to hard ground may be a better option for me!

expanding_horizon

Visit site
They are slippery on wet grass and mud. But I think my horse finds them not as bad as shoes without studs as he used to slip and slide around when in shoes. He also didn't like walking down the lane way on the way back because he would slip in shoes but is completely fine in boots. We don't have a lot of ice around me and it's been a while since both him and I were in Canada (when ice was a huge factor, especially if no or limited snowfall) but didn't need hoof boots then.

Flex (and most hoof boots) in my experience are far grippier than shoes in the lanes IME.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Try the equine fusion ultra jogging shoe. Look ugly but super secure. I hacked my exracer in them for 3+ hours roads and grass etc. He loved them!