Happy tail

HeyMich

Visit site
So, our newly re-homed 2 yr old lab has 'happy tail'. Except it's making us anything but happy!

It's been going on about 6-7 weeks now, he initially caught it on something out exploring in the woods. It bleeds daily, the kitchen looks like someone has been massacred! I'm getting fed up of wiping the walls, and he must be getting fairly fed up too! Saying that, he doesn't seem to be in any pain, he doesn't lick it at all.

Vets have so far suggested: super glue - lasts about an hour before it cracks and bleeds, tried 3 days in a row with no success; and dog-ends (mesh type covers for the tail tip) - lasts a day or so, but as soon as they come off it bleeds again. OH has ingeniously taped on a bit of foam pipe lagging - seems ok so far, but we shall see...

Anyone had any luck with a 'happy tail' healing successfully? Anyone had to go down the amputation route? He's such a sweet dog, and so obviously happy to see us, it's making me a bit sad that we wince every time he wags! Poor wee thing, so happy, yet so sad...

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Oh no! No personal experience but a friend had to go down the amputation route for her dog, a viszla, because the wound just refused to heal, he was left with half a tail, rather than the full dock. Strangely, that sound healed very quickly because, due to the reduced length, he wasn't banging it against door frames, tables, etc around the house each time he wagged. Good luck!

cauda equina

Visit site
What about spray on plaster?
I've used the Elastoplast stuff on scraped hocks to good effect and there are brands specifically for animals too

Sandstone1

Visit site
The top of a large syringe can work. You have to tape it on and also remove it daily so the air gets to it.
it's very hard to get it to heal though and often the tail has to be amputated.

HeyMich

Visit site
Thanks guys.

Yes, spray-on plaster goes on daily. Helps for a short while, but obviously doesn't withstand the wall/door/furniture impacts!

I've read about using a syringe. If the mesh and foam didn't work, I don't hold out much hope...

It's looking so sore this evening. I might be taking him back to the vet's tomorrow.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My father once cured this after a great deal of veterinary ho haa by sticking up the tail hair at the end with super glue it formed a sort of cocoon and permanently solved the issue .

HeyMich

Visit site
Update:

Vet has scheduled him for surgery first thing on Monday. It's slightly infected and simply not healing properly. The poor boy has antibiotics and a lampshade - which would be very comical to watch if it weren't so sad!!

Who knew 'Happy tail' was such a problem...? 😕 😢

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Kirstyhen (think that was her user name!) who used to be on here used either a hosepipe or a cut-up plastic drinks bottle silver taped on to a spaniel but I think she also had to opt for amputation.

{97702}

Visit site
I’ve known of rescue greyhounds have this in rescue kennels - poor sods -amputation usually seems to be the outcome, with no massive detriment to the dog concerned? One of mine had it very mildly when he was re-homed to me, luckily it cleared up relatively easily (and I know I was lucky!)

chaps89

Visit site
The Dalmatian we had when I was a child had this issue, she also had to have surgery to have some of her tail removed.
I hope Mondays surgery goes ok for your dog OP.

Aru

Visit site
If foam laggings etc failed then go for amputation.
A lot of these just won't heal because of movement, then they end up chronic wounds that continually breakdown even after they look like they have healed and are a source for infection to track up the spine.
Happy tail is far from happy :(

Edited to add. Miss your update. Good luck on monday!

Clodagh

Visit site
As Aru said, Tawny's dragged on for a year, it would heal and then open again, she was in so much pain. Didn't actually realise how much pain until it came off and she was like a new dog!

ETA vet said to go short as it heals better, it healed really well, she was back out shooting the day after the stitches came out. Two others I know of had to have second ops as it was left longer and they kept bashing it.

neddy man

Visit site
Try tapeing it to a piece of cane, or inside a pvc pipe so it cant flex if its not wobbling it may heal. Would a harness and something like a home made crouper attached stop it slipping off.?

Beausmate

Visit site
I had a greyhound with a skinned tail tip. It was about an inch each side and opened up every time he hit something with it - which happened a lot! We even had blood on the ceiling. It was looking like he would have to have an amputation, but someone suggested skincure, and as I had nothing to lose (except part of a tail!), I tried it.

It took about three weeks. I had to cover the injured areas with skincure and then take him out for a good while to stop him knocking the ointment off against the inside of the house. I did this three times a day. It was a faff, but the skin grew back properly and we eventually got the hair back too. The vet was amazed. I think I got lucky.