Hard feed to tempt an old guy?

soloequestrian

Visit site
My older TB is tending not to eat his hard feed these days. I'm fairly sure there are no problems, just quite a lot of grass which he has no trouble eating. He will eat his carrot with Prascend in - picks it out - but more often than not he leaves the rest. It's just Fast Fibre and a handful of oats but it has minerals and salt in and I'd prefer him to have those. I've not really fed anyone anything different to anyone for many years now so some ideas on what else I could give him to try to tempt him would be much appreciated!

TGM

Visit site
Fast Fibre is pretty unappetising for a lot of horses, which is not surprising considering the main ingredient is ground straw! I'd use something like Speedibeet or soaked grass nuts as a first option.

P.forpony

Visit site
We always keep some spillers speedy fibre on the yard, never come across a horse that doesn’t love it.

It’s apple flavour so works perfectly for hiding nasty things you have to add or stirring a handful into your normal feed to tempt a fussy one.

It’s sugar beet based so may be a good straight swap for your fast fibre too ?

M1lbie

Visit site
My 28 year old also on prascend became fussy and I had to keep changing his food, I contacted Allen and Page last winter and they suggested Veteran Light as Veteran Vitality is not recommended for horses with Cushings (PPID). His appetite improved straight away and has continued eating it well eversince

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Although I never feed a mix given the choice, and there is a lot of choice! When my old gelding stopped wanting hard feed and lost weight over winter I bought (after trying the above first) Dodson and Horrel mix. I could probably have eaten it myself! It looks and smells amazing. There’s bits of dried carrot and herbs. It’s lovely and did the required job.

Green Bean

Visit site
Keyflow Golden Oldies. Whilst my mare loves her food, she can be picky. Since being on GO she absolutely loves feeding time and finishes every last bit.