Hard non painful lump on fetlock.. any suggestions?

lucymills

New User
Visit site
I just aquired a14 year old paint mare a week ago. when she arrived my friend noticed that she had a large lump on her right rear fetlock, She will let me touch it with no problem there is no heat to it, it is hard and about the size of a half a baseball. she doesent show any signs of lameness and will trott and canter with no problems. Should I have a vet come out and check it?
confused.gif

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Did she have the lump when you went to see her and did you have her vetted before purchase? A lump that size is certainly abnormal and if she were mine I would want to find out what it was even if it didn't cause any problems.

mostfunintown

Visit site
I once had a thoroughbred with a large lump on one elbow. I didn't call the vet as it didn't bother him but oneday when the vet was here doing jabs he looked at it for me and said he thought it was a bit of overhealing from an old injury and was ok to leave. He said if I was worried he could do a biopsy to be sure but as it didn't bother him i left it well alone. I sold him 10 years later and it was still fine then. I would get your vet 2 have a look at it just incase it is something more sinnister

lucymills

New User
Visit site
thank you very much for the advise and the information. I will have the vet come and take a look at it...
I dident notice it when I went to look at her before I purchased her. But, That doesent mean that it wasent there. I had six of my children with me then and it was rather difficult to check the horse out 100%..