Hard wearing jodhpurs, do they exist??

Izzwall

Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm having a bit of a jodhpur crisis where I've yet to have a pair that's lasted more than 6 weeks. They always get a hole in the same place as well (crotch area and/or inside leg). I've so far gone through many cheapies off eBay which on average last a month if I'm lucky to my current dublin ones that died yesterday that I only got 5 weeks ago :( I've also had shires, toggi, Harry hall that last less than two months. I've tried in the past to stitch them back up but I get to about 3 hours in and the hole opens up again which is rather embarrassing walking about showing my knickers, especially if I need to stop for petrol/pick up some lunch!

I live in my jodhpurs, I'm a freelance animal carer so I muck out/feed horses all morning, then dog walk all afternoon then more feeding/mucking out all evening so I'm wearing them from the moment I wake up at 6.30am till I come back home at 7pm. I'm no slim Jim and I'm starting to wonder if that's causing my problem as my thighs do rub together (I eat ALOT of chocolate) though I'm only a size 10/12 and wear jod sizing 26/28.
Thanks guys!
Creme eggs for everyone :D

L&M

Visit site
I live in denim leggings for everyday - my last pair came from H and M for £9.99 and are still going strong a year and a half down the line!

Hardwearing and comfy to ride in x

Last edited:

Izzwall

Visit site
Oh my sister had a pair of denim leggings and I pinched them for the day, worst idea ever! They continually kept falling down especially when I was dog walking and ended up with savage chaffage! Never again!! (Sorry for TMI). I get the same problem when wearing jeans (and they are horrible to wear when I get soaked through which happens rather a lot!). So it's either trackies or joddies, though trackies I think look a bit unprofessional.

Casey76

Visit site
My best pair of jodhpurs I've had for almost 10 years. Although I don't wear them all day every day, they do get worn several times a week. However they were relatively expensive - around £75 I think, but they weren't any particular "make" just the shop own brand (and were cheap in comparison to most other riding leg wear in the shop at the time).

My other favourite pari are Shires Saddlehuggers - again about 10 years old, and only now the stitching has gone in the crotch.

Having said that because they are both so old I'm not sure if they would be the same quality if you bought a comparable pair this year :(

Brightbay

Visit site
My favourites are Caldene Three Tech. I have a pair that must be 10 years old, gone a wee bit thin on the inside of the legs but no holes yet. They were so good, I bought them in every colour, so have the (almost retired) brown ones, then newer navy, black and beige ones, and when I heard they'd stopped making them, I bought a pair of kid's ones - they still come in 28 waist, but I had to buy "long" :D

I know they're going to wear out soon... My next favourites are the Dublin Pull on ones, also quite a few years old.

Then I've had Toggi (zip broke after about three weeks), Saddlehuggers (don't like the fabric), HKM (nice but colour faded really fast), Harry Hall Atlanta (lasted OK but zip finally went). Apart from the pull ons, the Dublin ones I've had have all been too big!

ETA - I also love chocolate. Maybe that's why two of my favorite pairs are chocolate coloured (no stains if I drop some ;) ).

Izzwall

Visit site
I swear they don't make them like they used to! Jodhpurs 6 years + ago used to last me years or at least 6 months. I'd be tempted to get a more pricer kind if they last me a while as I reckon I have spent about £150-200 in the last 6 months! Gone through about 10! Gah!

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
you get what you pay for (up to a certain point).

Mark Todd are meant to be pretty hard wearing in the mid price range.

Ive got Pikeurs yonks old and still going strong and i ride at least one horse every day mid week, sometimes 2 and then up to 5 a day at weekends-they wear like iron.