Hardest Day :( Advice needed!

ihatework

Visit site
Sorry I never did update this. I got a final bill for everything from the practice, then around 5 weeks later I received a revised bill with only the disposal of the boy on it with a footnote stating that 'euthenasia no charge on veterinary surgeons request' I also received a card and a handwritten letter from the vet (who is a very experienced senior partner and very quiet and unassuming man) apologising for the events of that day and stating that they had altered their procedures in order to prevent anything like this happening in the future and assured me that I had done all I could for my boy.

Alot of people scoffed at this but you know, they could have said/done nothing and just demanded I pay the bill but I was quite touched and grateful they admitted that things had gone wrong (as they do with horses) I miss him every day despite the fact he was a cantankerous git and a money pit :(

It sounds like a very distressing experience for you.
I admire your outlook though - I think if a vet takes the time to write a handwritten apology then it is sincere and genuine. We all mess up occasionally. I hope if I were in your shoes I could accept the apology and try and move on.

FWIW, it was probably far less distressing for the horse than it may have appeared, he would have been under heavy sedation and pretty unaware of his surroundings x