Hardstanding in winter: what area do you have?

Scot123

Visit site
These replies are brilliant - just want to give everyone a big thank you for them all! I'm going to be keeping this thread to refer to in the coming months and hopefully I'll be able to post 'before' and 'after' shots of my own in due course!

If there's any way it can be done it's so obviously worth it and basically I think it's safe to say that people agree on the general method (unless we're talking a concrete yard)... dig away as much mud as possible (anywhere from 6in to 2ft); get in the hardcore or rubble; planings on top if possible (where you get this is still a slight mystery to me, but that's for another day!) and grass mats well secured to finish it off. And Bob's your Uncle.

Sounds so simple??!!

Coop

Visit site
Pleasure, its made me learn how to upload photos, at last! I will put some more on here when we do the mat removal and planing addition, I may even allow one of me digging :)

weebarney

Visit site
These replies are brilliant - just want to give everyone a big thank you for them all! I'm going to be keeping this thread to refer to in the coming months and hopefully I'll be able to post 'before' and 'after' shots of my own in due course!

If there's any way it can be done it's so obviously worth it and basically I think it's safe to say that people agree on the general method (unless we're talking a concrete yard)... dig away as much mud as possible (anywhere from 6in to 2ft); get in the hardcore or rubble; planings on top if possible (where you get this is still a slight mystery to me, but that's for another day!) and grass mats well secured to finish it off. And Bob's your Uncle.

Sounds so simple??!!

Apparently if you see roads getting dug up nearby you can go to speak to them and ask them to dump it at your field , this is supposed to be the cheapest way. I found a number in our local paper which has an agricultural section. Or you could ring up local Tarmac companies and recycling companies.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Apparently if you see roads getting dug up nearby you can go to speak to them and ask them to dump it at your field , this is supposed to be the cheapest way. I found a number in our local paper which has an agricultural section. Or you could ring up local Tarmac companies and recycling companies.

Yes, thats what I did, chatted up some workmen - they usually have a list of farms etc in each area that will take it, and ring them, so I got us put on the list. Its cheaper if they're nearby too..

ps, I'm really pleased to see your horses all choose the hardstanding over the field - stops me feeling guilty that mine don't have a choice!

Last edited:

muckypony

Visit site
This is such a helpful thread thank you!! I've spent the last week keeping my 2 in because I've been worried about trashing the field and them standing out in horrible wet mud, but mine come in at night so I'm feeling a bit spoilt looking at some of your photos :eek: my field is no where near as bad!!

How do you find the fields recover after being mud bogs? How long does it take for the grass to completely grow back?

Coop

Visit site
Normally mine are not as boggy, muddy yes but not deep. Normally they start to dry out mid Feb onwards and by mid march fine. Little different this year but its only this bad near the gates and although hard to tell the rest of it never floods so I count my blessings!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
My fields are now so wet they just aren't usable, they are still underwater from the snow melting and all the drains are overflowing so its like a water meadow currently so know how you feel!

My boy is out on hardstanding of hardcore with woodchips over the top. Its probably about 15x20 he gets a haynet in the am when turned out between 6am and 9am and he's out until 3pm at present then he's in his stable.

Scot123

Visit site
I fear I'll have to wait til Spring to try chatting up the workmen. I think I would just alarm them at the moment as I approached in my 25 layers of thermals/waterproofs. At the moment I am improvising the hardstanding by brining one of the ponies off the hill and along to our back patio area for a few days of drying out, fuss and copious hay!

Doogle

Visit site
Hi Black Beastie, How do you find the Woodchips on top of your hardcore. I have heard that Woodchips go all mushy and am just trying to decide what to put on my hardcore. Also, how much did it cost to do the area (metres or feet) please. Thanks

winchester

Visit site
Sorry to raise an old thread but after 10 long years struggling on clay fields we are now going to put in a Woodchip/All Weather turn out paddock for the horses for the Winter...

The area is exactly 10m x 20m (in a triangle shape) so i had my (what i thought quite cheap) local farmer come down a give me a quote...

£6,500 - surely that cant be right? Yes is is half the size of a manage - but no way with it be as good as a menage with a special surface etc..

Is this right it will cost me this much??