Harnesses. Which are the best fit and don't restrict shoulders?

skinnydipper

Visit site
Obviously not all harnesses are created equal and if the harness doesn't fit comfortably to start with then there is always going to be a problem. You wouldn't, for example, want one that's too tight, one which restricts shoulder movement or one which chaffes the axillae.

Which harness do you prefer?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I currently am using a mesh PAH one. Washes well, fits 4 month old puppy well with no restrictions to legs etc. Its been fine for just over 6 weeks and we might now be looking at getting the small as shes growing so much, the xs is now doing up just right!
I needed one she could be comfortable in when we are in the office as I'm leaving her in it. The ones with adjusters on the sides etc were out for me as needed it soft all round her.
It fits far better than in the stock photo below.
Screenshot_20240130-133553_Chrome.jpg

skinnydipper

Visit site
What sort of dog is it?

She is a mastiff x. I've tried a few harnesses, currently using the Blue 9 balance harness which has several adjustment points, it doesn't impede her shoulders and the girth strap sits a bit further back so doesn't rub her axillae. I'm happy with it but I wondered what other people recommend. I'm going to have a look at the suggestions on here, well maybe not the little mesh one, it might be a bit on the small side ;)

Teaselmeg

Visit site
I have Haqihana ( double H style for the young lurcher escape artist :rolleyes:), Perfect Fit and Blue 9 harnesses. I've also had the T Touch and Mekuti ones in the past. Happy with all of them. I do prefer an opening/ clip on the neck as well, for dogs that don't like things going over their heads, the perfect fit is the best style for that, but my boy can back out of a perfect fit, so I don't use it all the time. Loath the Julius K9 ones, no idea why anyone would like them !!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
She is a mastiff x. I've tried a few harnesses, currently using the Blue 9 balance harness which has several adjustment points, it doesn't impede her shoulders and the girth strap sits a bit further back so doesn't rub her axillae. I'm happy with it but I wondered what other people recommend. I'm going to have a look at the suggestions on here, well maybe not the little mesh one, it might be a bit on the small side ;)
Mesh one might fit a front leg, in its entirety 🤣

cbmcts

Visit site
I use the trixie harness - easy on and off, very adjustable, comfortable for the dog imo, shoulders are free. They also come in extra large. In saying that, I don't walk the dogs from the harness, it's used mainly to secure them in the car and if I'm picking up or transporting a dog I don't know, I really like that they can be put on/fitted without having to get into a dogs face. Bonus too that they are cheap! The quality is fine too.

Morwenna

Visit site
I have a perfect fit and a Copenhagen comfort one, use both for day to day - mainly to clip a longline onto when I’m training in case it’s needed. I cringe when I see people using them on collars (or even worse, head collars). I also have a special harness for mantrailing that is much more padded as she’s allowed to pull in that one.

ArklePig

Visit site
I have an EzyDog chest plate. It's very light and y shaped so gives great range of movement. Straps are easily adjustable too so can adjust it to go over her equafleece or under her raincoat. It only has one attachment though so I stick a collar on her too incase I need to double up. I prefer this to attaching a lead front and back of harness, as when I tried clipping the lead to the front and back of her other harness the lead kind of cut across her shoulder.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We use Ezydog harnesses on the Labs. One, especially doesn't like anything that has to go over her head. The Rottweilers also wore Ezydog. They come in a wide range of sizes and are very adjustable, Hardwearing too. We passed an outgrown Rottweiler puppy harness onto a relative, her dog wore it until it was outgrown. Then we went to stay with them a few months after the brown one came to us. We realised that her harness was getting tight, so the harness came back home with us and she wore it until she outgrew it.

Eta, ours also wear collars, we attach the lead to either, depending on the dog.

Last edited:

Morwenna

Visit site
Mine is mainly walked on her collar now that her loose lead walking is reliable but I do like having a harness as back up in case we come across a more exciting situation so I can switch to the harness and not have her pulling on her collar.

KEK

Visit site
I have a perfect fit and a Copenhagen comfort one, use both for day to day - mainly to clip a longline onto when I’m training in case it’s needed. I cringe when I see people using them on collars (or even worse, head collars). I also have a special harness for mantrailing that is much more padded as she’s allowed to pull in that one.
Mine are in Copenhagens too.
They don’t cut across the biceps tendon which is important.

JBM

Visit site
I have ones from lemiuex from a sale.. open to better suggestions?
Wasnt worn when he was a pup just show the harness better
I took it on the way to collect him and obviously realised immediately he was smaller than expected 😂
Bears one isn’t great it’s one of those k9 ones I think the pressure is too much on the front so looking for a change on that one

Attachments

• 6F422C58-0F86-4BAF-A6C5-197CF87AB189.jpeg
    6F422C58-0F86-4BAF-A6C5-197CF87AB189.jpeg
    672.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 477B4099-7CA0-4ED2-932A-9755455B5966.jpeg
    477B4099-7CA0-4ED2-932A-9755455B5966.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 69009AEE-20FA-4769-BDA1-B0876179F87D.jpeg
    69009AEE-20FA-4769-BDA1-B0876179F87D.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 17

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I bought a Kurgo one for Cecil. It’s a travel safety checked one. I’d thought it would be great to use in the car and just clip a lead on to walk.
It fits beautifully and seems great, however it has these really weird little buckles which slot in and are so fiddly/difficult to do up I never use it.
Watching with interest as I’ve also just bought, today what in the shop looked good for Bert (off the back of your collar post) but I’m not keen in reality

Reactions: JBM