Harrowing yourself?

Ali27

Visit site
We have just got a place with 3 acres of grazing. Ponies have been in 2 acres since January. There is still some grass and parts of the field are relatively dry as it’s on a slope. It’s clay soil! I’m thinking about getting my own harrows to use with my 4x4 rather than relying on local guy with tractor. Would just harrowing get rid of ruts or would it need to be rolled too? Which harrows would be best?

be positive

Visit site
The 4x4 tyres will help reduce the ruts and if you go over the land in different directions a few times, which will be easier if you have your own, most should disappear, I am on clay and we try not to roll too often as it can make the ground too compacted and affect the drainage.

TheMule

Visit site
Well worth the investment, if yoe get it at the right time then they'll sort out a lot of the uneven ground

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Following as Im planning on harrowing my field this year. We are on diy but the YO has a set of chain harrows and has said she is happy for me to use them behind my 4x4. When is the best time to harrow, does it work best on the ground when it is still wet or should I let it dry out first. I have an area about the size of 2 tennis courts that is completely trashed, once harrowed I can shut it up for the summer but will harrowing be enough, is there anything else I could do?

honetpot

Visit site
I have even done it with a normal car. On clay you have to get the timing right, and also add some weight, like a gate or a pallet.
I bought the cheaper grass harrows, which broke pretty quickly, but if you can get the older farm type they are a better investment although heavy.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I use my 4x4 (formerly Jeep, now Discovery 4) and a chain harrow for my fields and also my school. Up till now I have managed very well with a 4 foot harrow. However I end up with an annoying strip round the perimeter of my school as the car is wider than the harrow and I can't get to the edges due to the fencing. So I have just bought a 7 foot harrow from this company: http://www.ktmmachinery.co.uk/7-ft-fixed-tine-regular-use-trailed-chain-harrow-ktm-machinery-ltd/7 I only ordered it at the end of last week and it has arrived already and delivery was included in the price.

Also I agree with what BP says about the wheels doing a good job of flattening the ground.

It's much easier having your own. Just make sure you store in a safe place as a friend's horse managed to get itself stuck in one. Thankfully only a few scrapes, but it always makes me a bit paranoid.

ceva

Visit site
Hi,
We bought a small 4ft set of harrows from a farm machinery sale last October, we had been looking for ages for something small to be pulled behind the VW, they cost £100, we have already used it three times this year and it does a grand job, the fields look so much better when harrowed, you just have to pick the right moment when he paddock is 'crumbly'.
It breaks up all the divots and acierates the ground so the grass can break through (when we get some decent weather that is). Loads easy than waiting for YO to do it.

Ali27

Visit site