hartpury college

shee

Visit site
ok, so i want to start by apologising for offending some of the HHOer junior (especially talavera and eventerlad) on some comments i made a while back, so my sincere apologies to all i may have offended!

secondly; hartpury college/uni?

anyone have any experiene at all, what it like etc?
my daughter is thinking of going there for an equine uni course...
anybody know aout the academies? and the standards of riding needed?
prices of stables?
and accomodation? what sort? prices?

sorry for the hundreds of questions!

any information will be great... thanks in advance!!
smile.gif

angie1

Visit site
Hmmm- better do this by PM I think. My daughter worked
unbelievably hard to get accepted onto academy for her first year but turned them down for year 2.....

worMy

www.katherinebegley.com
i know a friend from matt ryans who is at hartpury doing an equine thingy and she absolutely LOVES it.
its an equine science thing and she has her horse there. bristol uni but based at hartpury...not sure the specifics.
anyway, i personally know nothing about it, but she seriously loves it.

Quadro

Visit site
i was at aberystwyth and there were some folk there how had been there they thought the facilities were super but the the whole thing was rather stuck up and bitchy

MerryMAL

Visit site
I go to Hartpury for camp and can say that the student accomadation is FAB and the stables we get are nice but the livery stables are AMAZING - huge monarch boxes!

samanthap

Visit site
Im doin a foundation degree up there and its amazing and I love it there!!!
smile.gif

Stables are really nice though some of them are quite small for the big horses. Accomodation is good too, all en suite and you share a kitchen. Prices veri from where you stay - it might have more info on their website.
I dont know much about the academies but I have a friend who was on it and she said it was totaly not worth it, everyone was really stuck up and it wasnt as good as they make out but that was only her opinion. For the equitation module I know you have to be at stage 2 level but the acadamy not sure but it will probs tell you on the website.
Its a great place all the facillities are fab and the lectures are all really helpfull and know their stuff!!
laugh.gif

Hope thats helped a bit
smile.gif

PnO

Visit site
I have 2 friends who are currently there, one in her last yr and one in her first year. I also had another friend who would of been in her last year but quit at the start of year 2 as she really didn't like it there. Her horse got ill and although he sort of got better he ended up being PTS later on in the summer partly due to his illness at Hartpury.

My two friends who are there at the moment love it, and have thoroughly enjoyed there time there. However the other one just didn't. As the old saying goes, 'horses for courses' or something like that lol it might suit some but not others x

mac

Visit site
While people go to Hartpury for the academics and not primarily to further their competative career there are some sucessful riders on the academy.It natrually consists mainly of those with the most financial backing from which parents/sponsors/owners and is a fairly competative environment. However, as the training you receive is free and livery costs are the same it is worth it.

Firewell

Visit site
I went to Hartpury and loved it.

Academically I found it pretty crap, most of my course left without their degree or they didnt get honors (not everyone its just an easy place to spend time with the horses and going out with boys and it doesnt really encourage you to do the work!).

However I got my degree and I really had the best time of my life there and my riding improved tremendously.

They are quite expensive (what university isnt?) but I found the livery for my horse is only what you would expect to pay for somewhere with such amazing facilities. Accommadation ect was what youd expect to pay for any uni type digs..

As you've guessed I did a higher education course, I dont know what its like for the 16yr olds doing the further education apart from the 2 ive known personally from home who went left halfway through their course...

I do know someone on my course who lost his confidence at Hartpury and was scared to jump 2ft9, left and became an advanced event rider.. I really do think it depends on your daughter and how she likes it!

I think its like any uni/further education place.. you either fit in and love it (like me!) or you dont...

TableDancer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just to add..

I would describe Hartpury like a never ending pony club camp with 1,500 rugby boys thrown in
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG what an amazing description, sounds like something out of one of my middle-aged fantasies
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just to add..

I would describe Hartpury like a never ending pony club camp with 1,500 rugby boys thrown in
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG what an amazing description, sounds like something out of one of my middle-aged fantasies
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL and yet I suspect also a description which will spring to mind should mini-TD express an interest in going there leading you and Mr TD to say 'over my dead body'
wink.gif
grin.gif

MerryMAL

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just to add..

tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We actually do PC camp there and it is JUST like that...heaven
wink.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I would advise lots of condoms. I work in another land based college doing sexual health and Hartpury does not have the best rep because of the never ending pony club and 1500 rugby boys!
blush.gif

mac

Visit site
I think thats all aspects of life at Hartpury covered lol although I think the last commemt is true of all unis.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I would advise lots of condoms. I work in another land based college doing sexual health and Hartpury does not have the best rep because of the never ending pony club and 1500 rugby boys!
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would second that! I think a chastity belt is actually advised in the Campus Handbook for Parents...
grin.gif

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Try the Henmeister she went there, I think she liked it
smile.gif
Certainly came out super-knowledgeable though she doesn't like to let on
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! Even though Chatter1 likes to take credit for my genius
grin.gif

I did indeed enjoy it! It's not for everyone though and you definately get out of it what you put in, opportunities must be grabbed with both hands and rugby boys should be avoided at all costs... mainly 'cos you wind up stuck with them for life, eating you out of house and home!
grin.gif

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
I got a place there as a mature student and turned it down
tongue.gif
as I subsequently got to know a few of the lecturers there - hearing their experiences was enough for me
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif